Archived What exactly is a PA considered ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a PA for about 5 months now. But I'm just curious how is a PA viewed in the company ? Is it basically like an Assistant Manager position ???

More like assistant to the manager.

PAs are experts in food and can provide leadership and direction in the food departments, but they are not managers by company standards. Only TLs and above are technically considered managers. In reality, ETLs and above are the store management team, everyone else is expendable.

Store Team Leader (STL) = Store Manager
Executive Team Leader (ETL) = Assistant Store Manager
Team Leader (TL) = Supervisor

Everything else, including PA and GSA is pretty much sales associate with slightly more responsibilities .

Everything else, including PA and GSA is pretty much sales associate with slightly more responsibilities .

Exactly. A GSA can run the front lane, a PA can run Pfresh & the trucks, do the order and such. But that's about it. They tend to be a pathway to moving up in the organization.

Exactly. A GSA can run the front lane, a PA can run Pfresh & the trucks, do the order and such. But that's about it. They tend to be a pathway to moving up in the organization.

Im a PA but I would say GSA is more of a "manager" than PA. The only thing I manage is myself since I dont have anyone else in market working with me usually. I do have to work with and communicate to a couple different workcenters throughout the day though and you are responsible for ALOT of tasks.

tumblr_mqnufrH53C1qewacoo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mqnufrH53C1qewacoo2_500.jpg

This reminds me of Target's silly titles.

That is absolutely perfect. It's how I feel about the GSA and PA positions. You are essentially given an exponentially higher level of responsibility for a slight, if any pay increase. They are also where dreams go to die.

GSA and PA positions are definitely not where I would want to work as I don't feel I would be happy in them. I was told once by an Electronics TM that trained me when I first started that I should consider GSA as a track for moving up, but I feel I get the same amount of "leadership" experience in electronics as I would in those positions personally.

I think like so much in Target, it depends from store to store. My ETL and TL were excited about me being PA since it would be a great stepping stone towards eventually being TL myself. But I've been to two other stores where the PA is seemingly just there to take on the workload, with no plans of them going up. A lot of variables, really.

I think like so much in Target, it depends from store to store. My ETL and TL were excited about me being PA since it would be a great stepping stone towards eventually being TL myself. But I've been to two other stores where the PA is seemingly just there to take on the workload, with no plans of them going up. A lot of variables, really.

Very true. At my store, GSA's don't really move up. But we've had 2 PA's be promoted in the last 6 months. Depends on the team, and the TL you work under. Some are better at developing skills than others.

I just got signed off to the bench as a TL with working in Pfresh as a PA. Ive had alot of leadership opportunities both in Pfresh and other areas though so it wasnt just pfresh experience. A couple of the previous other PAs just left after not being able to be promoted and one actually left and became a Store Manager at 1 different smaller business, not a big box retailer in less than a year.

I know it might seem like I complain alot on here but I do enjoy working with alot of people at my store and I enjoy working in Pfresh. Its just the stress of having a workload that is very difficult to complete that gets to me sometimes, and then the LODS trying to throw other workcenters workloads on me as well.

Last edited:
GSA and PA positions are definitely not where I would want to work as I don't feel I would be happy in them. I was told once by an Electronics TM that trained me when I first started that I should consider GSA as a track for moving up, but I feel I get the same amount of "leadership" experience in electronics as I would in those positions personally.

This is actually the same way I feel. Having to run the entire department at times is a bit much, but I think when you get it down, it's more of a way to move up. You learn a lot more in the ways of dealing with POGs, General Sales floor stuff and product knowledge. I tend to partner with my Sr.TL a lot and get tasks done. Considering talking to him about getting on the track for TL

I respect the hell out of PAs. It's a notorious position at my store-- it takes our absolute best, tenured team members and sends them away screaming. Everything about their job intimidates me-- dealing with outside vendors, foods expiring, cross contamination, having such a giant department, food temps, compliance, the almighty steritech.... I feel much safer in my little pharmacy bubble!

It seems to me that becoming a PA or GSA is a double-edged sword. It's true that these positions can sometimes lead towards becoming a TL... but it's far too easy for a store to take advantage of ambitious TMs who want to promote. I've seen too many of my co-workers end up at a dead end with these roles; hard working and responsible TMs that for some reason the store leadership seems content with keeping them right where they are. Meanwhile, outside hires with fresh new college degrees constantly fill every TL spot. It's sickening to see this happen to good people, some who have dedicated years to their store to try and advance themselves. Is it any surprise that anyone in this situation becomes jaded and cynical about their job?

I just got signed off to the bench as a TL with working in Pfresh as a PA. Ive had alot of leadership opportunities both in Pfresh and other areas though so it wasnt just pfresh experience. A couple of the previous other PAs just left after not being able to be promoted and one actually left and became a Store Manager at 1 different smaller business, not a big box retailer in less than a year.

I know it might seem like I complain alot on here but I do enjoy working with alot of people at my store and I enjoy working in Pfresh. Its just the stress of having a workload that is very difficult to complete that gets to me sometimes, and then the LODS trying to throw other workcenters workloads on me as well.

Congrats!

I was the second of three PAs to be promoted at my store. I got a better raise from TM to PA than from PA to TL though!

Congrats!

I was the second of three PAs to be promoted at my store. I got a better raise from TM to PA than from PA to TL though!
Ya im not expecting much of a raise. I think I moved up $1.00 or $1.50 when I went from TM to PA

My jump was a dollar; it helped that I was already over PG3 so I make a decent amount though. I can't say that the jump from PA to TL in terms of pay is worth it, though...so much extra work for just a tiny bit more. The other PA in our store is in the process of TL interviews...I was approached about being developed into a TL last year when I first started as a PA, but I sort of didn't follow up on that because to be honest, I've got no great desire to be a TL. I don't plan on being with the company much longer; I'm determined that this will be my very last fourth quarter in retail. Nothing against Target in particular; they've been good to me, but I hate retail and I don't want to work it any longer.

But yeah, the PA position is definitely an upward moving position in the store; more than a GSA to be honest because pFresh is NOT simple and requires SO much dedication and oversight. We're one of the top pFresh stores in the group and our ETL takes the position very seriously. If you can thrive as a PA at our store, you're set up for good things, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back