What has Target taught you?

So I was thinking about this the other day. What have I learned or have become better at since working at Target? This is different from my other job but I’ve definitely been able to take skills I’ve learned from Target to that job.

One small example is when I first started at Target I wasn’t great at small talk with strangers. It was always awkward and weird and I’d say something stupid. This is one thing Target has taught me when dealing with guests.

The other thing is de-escalating a situation. When a guest is angry about something, I’ve learned how to diffuse the situation so, unless the guest is a real asshole, they leave in a better mood.

So my people skills have improved which has helped in other areas of my life.

What has Target taught you?

Can't say that it has taught me much with regard to retail since I have worked in the business for decades, so I learned all that from other companies.

The biggest thing I've learned in the past year is that you can have shitty attendance, refuse to do certain aspects of your job, get caught in lies, and be coached over and over, yet still retain your job and even get 30 hours a week. I try not to let it get me down, because I really do love working here and I can't help but be an optimist and believe that things will eventually be dealt with.

I learned to play the game as the rules are written. I didnt play the politics game and it derailed my career early on. I dont regret it because i've watched all my friends leave the company as its changed but I am sad I never achieved the level I wanted to in all my years.

I also learned small talk.

I also learned the difference between a retail worker having a bad day and a retail worker having a bad attitude. I was actually far more forgiving before Target, figuring bad attitudes were actually bad days. Now, any retail, if the worker isn't acting to the standards of my old TL and it's definitely not a bad day, I'm not meekly taking it.

There is no correlation between your availability and how many hours you are scheduled.

Target rather have 20 people work hours a week then 4 people work 20 hours a week.

I can't believe that Target can't do schedules TWO WEEKS AT A TIME. Why would you want to do the schedule every week makes no sense.

Sure is a lot of negativity in this thread, lol.

When I started working at Target my social skills weren't very good, and in fact they still aren't great, but the regular talking to TMs and guests that's part of the job has definitely made me more comfortable talking to people.

I learned to " adapt and overcome" to "work where I love or whatever the saying is" i learned to Always have an answer for everything....

I learned how to fake interest in a product.
I learned how to diffuse Karenbombs.
I learned how to persuade strangers to buy into something.

And I learned that I know more than my Leaders lol.
You must work in tech....sounds eerily familar muahaha

I learned that “doing too good of a job” will have you end up doing more tasks especially if you don’t complain compare to others who have the same position as you.

Hehehe besides that, I learned to be be more calm and patient around the “Karen” type of customers and people. I learned at the end of the day not to get hurt or affected by this type of personality. I learned not to stress about them.

Back