Archived What if target was 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
God could you imagine if Target was like walmart and open 24 hours a day, our stores would look horrible but at least we'd be required to look nice and with a smile on our face

Im not in corporate but I dont think target can keep up with their standards if we were open 24 hrs cause, everything and everyone would be every where

Target stores require a lot of overnight upkeep as the way they are run these days. Especially in super high volume stores overnight process couldn't run the way it does now with customers, it would have to be vastly changed.

I work at a Walmart that is open 24 hours and I wouldn't wish this on Target at all. First of all, the customers come dressed in pajamas and other strange outfits. Also, a lot of them come with empty backpacks and leave with full backpacks, so AP would have their hands full. I find empty packages on the shelf on a nightly basis. Just because it's the middle of the night doesn't mean you won't have customers coming in with little kids, many of whom are cranky just because it's the middle of the night and they're still awake. Often it's a couple coming in with their kids and my thoughts are always why doesn't one parent stay home with the kids and the other come shopping alone? We are not allowed to put our freight on the floor because of safety reasons, so we have to work out of shopping carts all night long.
Then there are the customers who want service at the paint desk or the fabric desk or the sporting goods desk all night long.... UGH! I'm glad I don't have to deal with them but I feel for my co-workers who do.

Target stores require a lot of overnight upkeep as the way they are run these days. Especially in super high volume stores overnight process couldn't run the way it does now with customers, it would have to be vastly changed.

Yep, you would have to restructure your entire logistics process because a 24 hours couldn't do ANY of that the same as the other stores in the company...

I think it would be a bad idea, except for maybe select super targets in certain areas, then it could possibly be worth it... Otherwise it would probably be a lot of wasted payroll/expenses.

To be honest, yet vague, I work at a Target in the top 100 sales wise. Our store couldn't pull off a 24 hour operation. I believe that the time we take to clean up and stock every night is what makes us different! I never want to see us go 24 hours.

It would never happen, because Target would actually have to expend money for the freaking hours.[/QUOTE

Now, don't put this idea out of your head, just yet.....Spot would just have FEWER TMs working each of those 24 hours.

I can see it now.......one TM in SL, one TM in HL, one cashier.........sure, isn't that enough coverage??

Oh....I forgot.....one LOD to call for back-up help.....and clear all the call buttons!

Na. If Target had a full service grocery department then maybe.

I work at a Walmart that is open 24 hours and I wouldn't wish this on Target at all. First of all, the customers come dressed in pajamas and other strange outfits. Also, a lot of them come with empty backpacks and leave with full backpacks, so AP would have their hands full. I find empty packages on the shelf on a nightly basis. Just because it's the middle of the night doesn't mean you won't have customers coming in with little kids, many of whom are cranky just because it's the middle of the night and they're still awake. Often it's a couple coming in with their kids and my thoughts are always why doesn't one parent stay home with the kids and the other come shopping alone? We are not allowed to put our freight on the floor because of safety reasons, so we have to work out of shopping carts all night long.
Then there are the customers who want service at the paint desk or the fabric desk or the sporting goods desk all night long.... UGH! I'm glad I don't have to deal with them but I feel for my co-workers who do.

I work at walmart as well and pretty much everything you said is right. We do not have any overnight AP, but we should. We had inventory had had a huge loss. huge enough to place some new cameras in, add monitors at the car steros and cosmetics and they are already planing on closing off cosmetics and make it so you'll have one way in and one way out and have somewhere there at all times. Why they can't add a glass case I don't know. Besides that I just don't understand how parents can bring in their little kids or even babies at 3:00 in the morning and have them crying because they are tired.

We are allowed to have fright on the floor. Grocery has to downstack everything before they can stock since everything off the truck is not organized and the bins, despite sorting them by asile when they dumped them a few weeks ago, its back to being a mess. I work on the GM side, sometimes in furniture/housewares or the "L" (back corner of the store. Sproting goods, Auto/hardware). I only downstack furniture/storage/decor. The rest I work off L carts or rocket carts. We have to work clean though. Overstock at the end, if we downstack everything needs to be off to the side. Cardboard in boxes. plastic in a bag. We only get maybe one or two people wanting paint or amo a night (btw I HATE stocking amo.....)

there were some targets that were 24 hours at one point.

I can verify that personally as I was a TL a good while back over Toys at Christmas during a test of being open 24 hours the 2 weeks before Christmas.... Let's just say I was "supposed" to push all the toys from the truck as well as backup the 1 cashier we had(D volume store), as well as help unload the truck. We had no walkies, PDA's or backroom locations. But in those days, Spot was very loose with overtime so it wasn't hard for me to get 80-100 hours a week. It killed my social life, but damn I was loving those checks!!! Thank God I was still living with my parents then or i would have likely forgot to pay some bills!!!! It was also so nice back then not having any of this damn business walk/leadership status/vibe walks.... I do remember one week when we were told 2 busloads of investors were coming to visit our store.... I think I was at the store most of that week taking naps in the upstairs breakroom instead of going home.....lol..... Times sure have changed......

But to add to the conversation, yeah.... there is NO WAY Target could go 24 hours(even for a short period of time) and still expect to maintain brand, safety, and team member standards. Something would have to give dramatically, and we all know it would not be the brand standards.....

it wont work because, like I said above Target doesnt have a full service grocery department as its main "brand". only a handfull do in the mid west/east coast. Ask anyone on the west coast or anyone who does not have a super target in the area about target's grocery/meat/seafood/produce department and they will think you are nuts. Plus too many people complain about "making workers work nights" ummmm how else would things get stocked? Plus for those of us who have no life, nights is the best time to work. $1 more an hour does add up lol

They already do at the Target’s flagship store in Downtown Minneapolis. There are so many drunk people that walk in there it’s insane tbh

If they did that I would quit without job lined up. They already terrible with hours they are opened if they stayed open 24 hours this place would be an even worse shit show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back