Archived What is Selflessness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We believe in placing Target before team in all that we do."

What the heck is this? Is this supposed to make us feel valued as team members? Anyone have any insight on this?
From the same folks who brought you "going the extra inch"

Find your team trainer board with the pictures and the new poster next to it has this ridiculous phrase on it. In our store it is right next to the computers where our team members will be doing their BTS soon. Not really well thought out. What moron came up with this? Maybe its the same idiot who designed the volunteer T-shirts that said "you couldn't pay me to do this" and the great slogan "expect more pay less". Well everyone there it is in black and white. While some of us were still thinking that we mattered and made a difference,Target was making our importance perfectly clear.

One of the core values in the Air Force is Service before Self - which makes sense. As a team, Airmen put their country before their own selfish needs. But Target before Team - this implies we will do what's best for Target (the corporation) before the team (all employees). It used to be that taking care of the Team was taking care of Target. Happy TMs made for happy guests which equaled $$.

Target has fallen

Yeh but speaking from a former AF dependent's standpoint the AF had an unwritten policy of taking care of the active duty member's dependents 100% so that the active duty member did not have to stress, fret, or worry over the well being of their family. Nothing shows the difference more poignantly than walking in AF housing and turning around and checking out Navy housing. (But I digress...) The point is, even with the AF having a core value of Service before Self... that didn't extend to the family of the service member. You were not asked to give your all to the point that your family had to suffer. They really take care of their people. And I'd like to think we'd all feel like giving our all for Target if our family was well looked after as a result of our working for the corporation. Sadly that isn't really the case.

Ok folks, I'm still new to Target, so please don't take this the wrong way. But why wouldn't the company philosophy be to put the company intests before that of the Team members.? No company....No team. Does having good happy team members help make target successful ? Absolutely! But it is not and should not be the top priority. Again, being kind of new around here it seems like we think we are an HR company instead of a retailer in a cut throat industry. Not trying to flame here but working at a number of our competitors gives me a little different perspective. Just thought I would share.

What the heck is this? Is this supposed to make us feel valued as team members? Anyone have any insight on thir
If someone dared to put this slogan anywhere near me , i would write across it in huge black letters FUCK YOU
That is beyond ridiculous. This is a retail store. WTF????

Here is a brew, @patty.

Ok folks, I'm still new to Target, so please don't take this the wrong way. But why wouldn't the company philosophy be to put the company intests before that of the Team members.? No company....No team. Does having good happy team members help make target successful ? Absolutely! But it is not and should not be the top priority. Again, being kind of new around here it seems like we think we are an HR company instead of a retailer in a cut throat industry. Not trying to flame here but working at a number of our competitors gives me a little different perspective. Just thought I would share.

I've worked a great number of retail jobs as well.
Every employee understands that company really doesn't care about them, it's pretty much a given, they just would really rather not have it ground in their faces.
The rather poor phrasing of this makes it easy to see it as an insult.

Even more so because many of the old timers remember a day when Target went out of its way to treat its TMs well, to make an effort to seem like they really cared.
With the change in business plan to mimic Uncle Wally that effort was ditched in favor of treating the TMs like they do the equipment, work it till it breaks then replace.

No company....No team.
And no team, no company. And at the rate things are going, Target is about to have one less team member here (I know, I know, they're easily replaceable. But still...)

And I know you're new, but that kool-aid you're drinking is going to start to become sour and you're not going to like it.

Last edited:
I don't understand the misery and anger. I really don't.

As far as that statement goes, I think it's being taken incorrectly. It's written horribly, but brief summaries often are. I'd take it to mean that individual desires aren't as important as the goals of the corporation. It's a very logical, honest viewpoint.

As far as that statement goes, I think it's being taken incorrectly. It's written horribly, but brief summaries often are. I'd take it to mean that individual desires aren't as important as the goals of the corporation. It's a very logical, honest viewpoint.
Despite what the intention of the mission statement is, Target still treats their employees like shit.

Does anyone have Mr Corns phone number? I will call him up right now and tell him what I think of this . If I get fired, at least i will still have my dignity ...
And i can go work at Woolworths. They have better popcorn and a real lunch counter
New courier. I cant get font to change
Omg! I would love to see his face if you did!

Cornell's new vision statement shows me I made the right decision in leaving. What's next, barcodes on foreheads???

The problem with Spots statement is its somewhat open ended . Most of the time when a company comes out with a new slogan ( geared toward their employees) they at least somewhat explain it . Spot has done this in the past. I guess the statement is somewhat like abstract art...you see a sculpture depicting the struggle of man kind...I see a bunch of twisted metal that looks like it went through a twister. Spot knows how to play the PR game...so I am not sure why they didn't roll out this slogan with one of their Oscar worthy films and make us all watch it ..... Lastly, words are just that words...actions speak far louder...so instead of sitting around coming up with Slogans Spot...come up with an action plan and actually follow through with it

Last edited:
Think of this more as Team=Pyramids. We won't push a great idea for the Food pyramid if it doesn't benefit the big Team and Target Corporation, even if the idea benefits the Food pyramid greatly. In the past this wasn't always the case.

"Before Team" does not mean our team members as individuals. Our TMs, and us, are still the best asset the Company has...and we will continue to treat them like that.
ummmm, am i the only one who's alarm bells are ringing here. I understand they are one of our people but...... you know what screw it i'm just gonna make like the Kolaghan and dash.
(runs screaming into the night)

ummmm, am i the only one who's alarm bells are ringing here. I understand they are one of our people but...... you know what screw it i'm just gonna make like the Kolaghan and dash.
(runs screaming into the night)

And I play --

tumblr_inline_nkphhemBFk1qfxmjp.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back