Archived What is Selflessness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We believe in placing Target before team in all that we do."

What the heck is this? Is this supposed to make us feel valued as team members? Anyone have any insight on this?

Is this from their mission statement?

It's always been the truth, I'm just surprised they would put it on paper.

One of the core values in the Air Force is Service before Self - which makes sense. As a team, Airmen put their country before their own selfish needs. But Target before Team - this implies we will do what's best for Target (the corporation) before the team (all employees). It used to be that taking care of the Team was taking care of Target. Happy TMs made for happy guests which equaled $$.

Target has fallen

We at the DC got treated to a 5 min video of Cornell himself going over this 'new vision' as he calls it. Nothing beats being told by your CEO that you're expendable and the team doesn't matter.

I've had the feeling that corporate had this ideology for awhile now....I just didn't think they'd ever have the cojones to outright say it.

One of the core values in the Air Force is Service before Self - which makes sense. As a team, Airmen put their country before their own selfish needs. But Target before Team - this implies we will do what's best for Target (the corporation) before the team (all employees). It used to be that taking care of the Team was taking care of Target. Happy TMs made for happy guests which equaled $$.

Target has fallen

Agreed! When I was hired many moons ago I was told by my HR during orientation that the employees don't revolve around Target because Target recognizes that we have personal lives.

I miss Bob. :(

Think of this more as Team=Pyramids. We won't push a great idea for the Food pyramid if it doesn't benefit the big Team and Target Corporation, even if the idea benefits the Food pyramid greatly. In the past this wasn't always the case.

"Before Team" does not mean our team members as individuals. Our TMs, and us, are still the best asset the Company has...and we will continue to treat them like that.

"We believe in placing Target before team in all that we do."

What the heck is this? Is this supposed to make us feel valued as team members? Anyone have any insight on thir
If someone dared to put this slogan anywhere near me , i would write across it in huge black letters FUCK YOU

That is beyond ridiculous. This is a retail store. WTF????
I am in a bad mood today , but that is how I really feel about that

Think of this more as Team=Pyramids. We won't push a great idea for the Food pyramid if it doesn't benefit the big Team and Target Corporation, even if the idea benefits the Food pyramid greatly. In the past this wasn't always the case.

"Before Team" does not mean our team members as individuals. Our TMs, and us, are still the best asset the Company has...and we will continue to treat them like that.

I suspect that most of the folks here would love for that to be true but they have seen Spot acting like that isn't so often they have pretty much given up hope.
The phrasing is awkward at best and the actions really don't back it up.

Before everyone jumps on @TM1 for being a shill for the company, I'm going to say be respectful, they are a member of the board too.

We may not see eye to eye but let's not be rude.

Does anyone have Mr Corns phone number? I will call him up right now and tell him what I think of this . If I get fired, at least i will still have my dignity ...
And i can go work at Woolworths. They have better popcorn and a real lunch counter
New courier. I cant get font to change

Last edited:
Does anyone have Mr Corns phone number? I will call him up right now and tell him what I think of this . If I get fired, at least i will still have my dignity ...
And i can go work at Woolworths. They have better popcorn and a real lunch counter
New courier. I cant get font to change

That's funny (sadly I'm easily amused), when you said Woolworths my first thought was "They went out of business years ago."
But that was the department stores, I had no idea there was a grocery store chain.
Just proves, I'm old.

The alias taken, and the wording of the post, gives me the feeling that TM1 may be more than your typical company shill. Just a gut feeling.

TM1 = Team member's first? Hmmm. But yes, it would be nice for corporate to get down in the weeds (outside of their MN bubble) and see how stores are functioning. There was a 10 year difference between my TM days and being an ETL and it seemed like I worked for two different companies. I like the Target where the stores were nicely zoned, TMs were available to answer questions or get an item in the back, and I could count on Target to get quality items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back