Archived What is the difference between NCF and disontinued ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ncf is not carry forward, which means no further planos using that item number.
D-code or discontinued, is when it is replaced by item or didn't sell well, & not on planogram.. It is the last step before going clearance.
It happens alot in toys & video games.

So the discontinued item will have an item replaced with the same dcpi number?

It doesn't have to be same number. Just replace or flex something into that location. This happens right before a ptm or mpg begins in that aisle. Alot of stuff from Black Friday is in this group. Video games, movies, & toys, etc...

It's not usually the same item number because any unsold product with that item number would go from being clearance to scanning regular price, however I have seen it happen though rarely.

I know about flexing ,but was really puzzled about an item scanning discontinued versus ncf ! Etl didn 't know the difference !

I could be mistaken but I believe that NCF product may still be replenished for a time but discontinued will not be.

AFAIK,

NCF = Not carrying forward. You're going to get replenishment, but it's going to be dropping off POG in the near future.
Discontinued = Being dropped off POG very very very soon, and no further replenishment should be expected.

So, let's say you get in this really super toy for the Christmas season. It's a sale item and is fabulous. But it is NCF because you won't be getting any more in for now. Next Christmas, you could get this same item back for another sale, but they aren't holding a POG spot for it for a year.

Discontinued is for that other toy that will never ever see the light of Target shelves again, either because it's a poor seller or the manufacturer is no longer making it.

Here's a fun question...

Which team/team lead is responsible for getting NCF/discontinued product out of the backroom? (I know it may vary, but what about your stores?)

Here's a fun question...

Which team/team lead is responsible for getting NCF/discontinued product out of the backroom? (I know it may vary, but what about your stores?)

Discontinued and NCF items should be pulled from the backroom via the PTM process. PTMs are generally handled by sales floor TLs or the Instocks team.

Now it's my turn: What is the difference between Discontinued and Discontinued-NCF?

Dcode NFC are the first line to go clearance. Regular dcode will be 2nd. Certain areas don't need to be ptm to get product out of the back room. The fastest way is using the back room accuracy report & shoot exf's for items.

We get a lot of discontinued stuff at service desk sometimes... Certain people will just bring it back to us saying "it doesn't have a location i don't want it", but it rings up with a price so I tell them to just flex it in!

Is this how d-code reshop should be handled? Is it best practice for us to put a Priced Barcode sticker on the item or something, or is this not necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Certain areas don't need to be ptm to get product out of the back room. The fastest way is using the back room accuracy report & shoot exf's for items.

I forgot about those options. EXFs may not be allowed by store leadership though. Also, you can use Store Tie if you have any empty endcaps.

We get a lot of discontinued stuff at service desk sometimes... Certain people will just bring it back to us saying "it doesn't have a location i don't want it", but it rings up with a price so I tell them to just flex it in!

Is this how d-code reshop should be handled? Is it best practice for us to put a Priced Barcode sticker on the item or something, or is this not necessary?

If a dcode item is located, then obviously you would put it in its area's re-shop cart. If it's NOP, Smart Sort will want to put it in Box F so it can be backstocked, but your leadership might want it flexed instead. Ask your ETL-Hardlines whether they want NOP dcode items backstocked or flexed and communicate this info to the TMs giving you all those presents.

I don't see why you would need the barcode sticker unless the tag or barcode has been removed/destroyed/otherwise rendered unscannable, but then again, every store has its own definition of "best practice."

Discontinued and NCF items should be pulled from the backroom via the PTM process. PTMs are generally handled by sales floor TLs or the Instocks team.

Now it's my turn: What is the difference between Discontinued and Discontinued-NCF?

Items may be discontinued but still carried. The manufacturer could be changing the packaging or quantity or Target could be changing the way it classifies the object. NCF means not carried forward. We will not be getting it again.

Couldn't figure out where to ask this question, so forgive me if I'm putting it in the wrong place.

We got a list of NCF Toys that will be going TPC. I was told to work the list and try and bring all of them to the salesfloor this week and flex them in. Tedious, since I was told the only way to do that is to locate them in the backroom and then subt.

I question that because I read somewhere that we shouldn't do too many subt in a given day. I could LOCU and then I would be fine, but isn't there some freaking way I can batch the items I want to bring out??

Couldn't figure out where to ask this question, so forgive me if I'm putting it in the wrong place.

We got a list of NCF Toys that will be going TPC. I was told to work the list and try and bring all of them to the salesfloor this week and flex them in. Tedious, since I was told the only way to do that is to locate them in the backroom and then subt.

I question that because I read somewhere that we shouldn't do too many subt in a given day. I could LOCU and then I would be fine, but isn't there some freaking way I can batch the items I want to bring out??

You can just shoot an EXF on the RF application but see if you can toggle between the EXF and SUBT so you can pull the entire amount. As you pull the EXF toggle between LOCU to clean out the locations. LOCU is kinda bad for the back room as it will put all sorts of errors in the system so make sure you are scanning in the correct items back into the system and the counts. I'm sure you know this but it's a good way to house clean the wacos and maybe do some reorganization of the stock at the same time. Hope this helped.

exf app no longers works in rf apps. on the main page, go to my work on a pda, then to all apps, locate exf app icon. there is a barcode spreadsheet on workbench for those toys. much easier to scan that way.
2nd option:
using the backroom accuracy rept for dcode/nop/ncf will help out you further. it is highsuggested to take your time doing this, because toys are still coming in for the next 2 weeks. try to utilized all endcaps to the max. store tie appcan help you too. good luck.

Okay, got it figured out. I finally asked the right person. I go into subt, scan the item I want pulled, then it takes me to a location, subt it, then scan the one I just took off the shelf and it takes me to the next location, so on so on.

That barcode work sheet is for ALL NCF. This week we are only to pull all NCF toys that are going TPC. It is a 2 page report (no bar codes) and it must be completed by Wed at the very latest.

Okay, got it figured out. I finally asked the right person. I go into subt, scan the item I want pulled, then it takes me to a location, subt it, then scan the one I just took off the shelf and it takes me to the next location, so on so on.

That barcode work sheet is for ALL NCF. This week we are only to pull all NCF toys that are going TPC. It is a 2 page report (no bar codes) and it must be completed by Wed at the very latest.
That is correct. Our stl told us to do early too.

In our store, this is generally how NCF/Disc/DiscNCF work:

If the item is just NCF, it usually still has a home location and is possibly on the POG for an endcap or something. It gets replenished, but then disappears at some point in the near future. It may return again later, or next year. This seems especially true of toys.

If the item is discontinued, we don't seem to ever get any more of it at all. If it still has a location, it is place there until such time as it is gone. If it doesn't have a location, it might head to the back room until it reaches clearance status. Generally, toys get flexed in or placed on clearance endcaps anyway. Disc NOP items that aren't toys seem to head to the back room for a week or so and then hit clearance status.

In the background of all this, the hardlines ETL seems to direct the Instocks TL's and Instocks team to ensure that these items stay on the floor in the most appropriate place until they are gone.

Is this kinda how it works at most stores?

exf app no longers works in rf apps. on the main page, go to my work on a pda, then to all apps, locate exf app icon. there is a barcode spreadsheet on workbench for those toys. much easier to scan that way.
2nd option:
using the backroom accuracy rept for dcode/nop/ncf will help out you further. it is highsuggested to take your time doing this, because toys are still coming in for the next 2 weeks. try to utilized all endcaps to the max. store tie appcan help you too. good luck.
Figured as much it's just like making shelf labels....it's a bit off topic but why don't they keep things like that in the RF application? It's much faster since it hasn't got all that costly GUI interface to slow you down.

Figured as much it's just like making shelf labels....it's a bit off topic but why don't they keep things like that in the RF application? It's much faster since it hasn't got all that costly GUI interface to slow you down.

Many frown upon the use of EXF, so they may just be hiding it outside of RF Apps so that nobody wants to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back