What is the team member pay cap?

I've tried searching - all the Google results are just about the starting pay raise they announced, and I found a few articles here and on reddit, but they were all older posts and didn't give an actual number cap, just that getting high review scores would still allow for raises. Thanks

Base. But if you are at cap and promote, you go up $6.75.
Really? I thought you didn't keep any merit increases when promoting and that it was $4/hr. at most for experience. If TM base is $15, TL base is $22, and you're a TM making $22.50, the most you'd get would be $26, which is TL base + $4/hr. for experience (if they even give you that). How would you get $29.25 instead?

If you can get that much more over TL base, what does "up to $4/hr. for experience" mean?

Last edited:
It's going to depend on your location as well. Our TM base is $15 and our TL base is $19. Rarely does anyone get the $19 unless they have zero experience.

Really? I thought you didn't keep any merit increases when promoting and that it was $4/hr. at most for experience. If TM base is $15, TL base is $22, and you're a TM making $22.50, the most you'd get would be $26, which is TL base + $4/hr. for experience (if they even give you that). How would you get $29.25 instead?

If you can get that much more over TL base, what does "up to $4/hr. for experience" mean?
Typically, experience pay is for outside hires.

If I demote, they take $6.75. If I promote, they add $6.75. In other areas, the difference might be less, but the concept is the same.

Typically, experience pay is for outside hires.

If I demote, they take $6.75. If I promote, they add $6.75. In other areas, the difference might be less, but the concept is the same.
It must be different for some areas. If I were to promote to TL and get $6.75 added to my hourly rate, I'd be making more than TLs who've been with Target twice as long as I have. That doesn't add up.

Depends on your area. TL minimum is 19 but many, if not most, areas are above that. My stores TL minimum is 21.50
Yeah, those were the starting wages for my area.

That's a difference of $7.50. It's hard to believe they would give a TM at or near the pay cap that much of a raise for promoting to TL. That's potentially $30 for someone with no leadership experience, which is likely more than many veteran TLs in the area make (considering the TL cap would be $33.75 -- a brand new TL making $30 could potentially hit the TL pay cap after just 2 years if they get top reviews).

I'm not doubting that's how it works in your area, @Yetive. It just seems unrealistic for mine.

Last edited:
Yeah, those were the starting wages for my area.

That's a difference of $7.50. It's hard to believe they would give a TM at or near the pay cap that much of a raise for promoting to TL. That's potentially $30 for someone with no leadership experience, which is likely more than many veteran TLs in the area make (considering the TL cap would be $33.75 -- a brand new TL making $30 could potentially hit the TL pay cap after just 2 years if they get top reviews).

I'm not doubting that's how it works in your area, @Yetive. It just seems unrealistic for mine.
It does not work that way for mine either. I also highly doubt there are many tms left anywhere near the pay cap. The way the base wages increased every year. I have 1 tm at my store who has worked for over 20 years and has gotten max raises every year. I doubt most stores even have one of those tms anymore. If a TM is saying they make so much then there probably just lying. To the OP it doesn't matter what the pay cap is because very, very, very few tms will get anywhere near it, unless they start doing raises that are higher then 6% again. Competitive wages means that they pay as little as they can. My store pays minimum wage and is out payed by literally every business I see hiring.

Back