Archived What issues have you run across with our POS POS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PullMonkey

Ex-Backroom Badass
I'm trying to figure out what kind of issues our POS system has, and more importantly, if anyone has any troubleshooting tips.

I'm fairly tech savvy, and I'm trying to put some of that knowledge towards all this. If for no other reason than to understand.

So I know a lot of stores will run into the issue where the register completely freezes, seemingly randomly, and will only respond to a reboot. What I'm wondering is if anyone else has run into the issue where the register will beep once as though an item was scanned, then completely reboot.

Initially I thought it was something to do with an item being scanned, but it happened again about half an hour after the first time with no one touching it since the first reboot.

Thoughts?

you have to be really careful with the first item because sometimes the POS will beep but not really scan it.

you have to be really careful with the first item because sometimes the POS will beep but not really scan it.
Yeah, depending on the register I'm on, I can scan like 3 items, they all beep and none of them actually register. It's frustrating.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of issues our POS system has, and more importantly, if anyone has any troubleshooting tips.

I'm fairly tech savvy, and I'm trying to put some of that knowledge towards all this. If for no other reason than to understand.

So I know a lot of stores will run into the issue where the register completely freezes, seemingly randomly, and will only respond to a reboot. What I'm wondering is if anyone else has run into the issue where the register will beep once as though an item was scanned, then completely reboot.

Initially I thought it was something to do with an item being scanned, but it happened again about half an hour after the first time with no one touching it since the first reboot.

Thoughts?

From my experience whenever a reboot is initiated it will beep once at the start of the register powering on. This is whether it is manually initiated, from a power outage, or any other reason I have run come across.

Initially I thought it was something to do with an item being scanned

This actually happened to me once. I was scanning a large order and after scanning one particular item, the POS crashed. So I went to another register, scanned the items, and when I scanned that one item, the POS crashed on that register. My GSTL wondered if it was that one item that caused the POS to crash, so she scanned it on an open register, and shockingly, that register crashed. Luckily, the guest was understanding about the whole thing, and the GSTL gave her a couple apology coupons.

Yeah, depending on the register I'm on, I can scan like 3 items, they all beep and none of them actually register. It's frustrating.

When that happened to me, it turned out that the inline scanner was disconnected. My GSTL fixed it by dislodging the scanner, putting it back in place, and restarting the register to make sure the scanner initialized and that the POS would accept input from it.

I can't seem to ring up more than a few combos at FA without the register experiencing some, ah, turbulence.

This.
We could only ring up 3-4 combos before the register would freeze up.

Curious... did you have the older terminals (big CRT screen?) after so many transaction lines in FA, the older machines would lock up/freeze, from lack of (I think it was computer memory?).

Supposedly though the new flat screen terminals, had more processing capacity to solve these hiccups.

Same thing would happen in Pharmacy, too.

Today I lost my Supervisor access. I mean I logged into the register to help out with backup at the service desk, and I was ring sales only. Not even the Guest Service options were available to me. Thankfully, the CTL was grabbing her go-backs for Market and was able to fix it quickly, boosting me back up to Supervisor on her #s. Everything worked fine after that. Still is the weirdest thing. I have never seen someone's access just automatically changed like that for no apparent reason, especially after months without issue.

I've had problems using the "Merchandise Locate" feature. After scanning an item, it will completely freeze the machine. However the last time this happened, I decided to try the good ol' "CTRL+ALT+DEL" to see what would happen....and it actually worked. It unfroze the computer. Also, sometimes Suspend Slips will crash our machines. Otherwise, it seems completely random. They just shut down mid-transaction sometimes.

Also...fun fact, if you hold down the yellow button on the pin pads (assuming you have the newer ones)...it reboots them. I did that on accident once while cleaning the counters at guest service. The Linux logo popped up and everything. Whoops. It took like 10 minutes to restart. Haha, luckily we weren't busy.

I don't necessarily know if this is a problem but at certain registers, when you scan items that are eligible for a free gift card, the system will beep at you, which prompts me to look at the screen to see that I have to scan a gift card. Or if I'm just not paying attention, it won't scan the next item because it's waiting for me to scan a gift card. On other registers, though, I don't get that beep and I will continue to scan items until I look up and see that I have to scan a gift card. That pisses me off because then I have to go back and figure out what hasn't rung up yet.

Today I lost my Supervisor access. I mean I logged into the register to help out with backup at the service desk, and I was ring sales only. Not even the Guest Service options were available to me. Thankfully, the CTL was grabbing her go-backs for Market and was able to fix it quickly, boosting me back up to Supervisor on her #s. Everything worked fine after that. Still is the weirdest thing. I have never seen someone's access just automatically changed like that for no apparent reason, especially after months without issue.
Why do I feel like this was no accident?

Curious... did you have the older terminals (big CRT screen?) after so many transaction lines in FA, the older machines would lock up/freeze, from lack of (I think it was computer memory?).

Supposedly though the new flat screen terminals, had more processing capacity to solve these hiccups.

Same thing would happen in Pharmacy, too.
This is happening with the flat screen terminals.
We'll get to 3 combos before it freezes so we have to break it down into two trans.

I've had problems using the "Merchandise Locate" feature. After scanning an item, it will completely freeze the machine. However the last time this happened, I decided to try the good ol' "CTRL+ALT+DEL" to see what would happen....and it actually worked. It unfroze the computer. Also, sometimes Suspend Slips will crash our machines. Otherwise, it seems completely random. They just shut down mid-transaction sometimes.

Also...fun fact, if you hold down the yellow button on the pin pads (assuming you have the newer ones)...it reboots them. I did that on accident once while cleaning the counters at guest service. The Linux logo popped up and everything. Whoops. It took like 10 minutes to restart. Haha, luckily we weren't busy.
Your POSs run Linux? I thought only the pharmacy registers did. (Well, I say run, it's more running within Windows, but still)

Actually dunno how that's possible. Supposedly our POS software is written specifically for Windows

Your POSs run Linux? I thought only the pharmacy registers did. (Well, I say run, it's more running within Windows, but still)

Actually dunno how that's possible. Supposedly our POS software is written specifically for Windows

I was wondering the same thing. Our registers run on Windows. However, when I accidentally rebooted the pin pad, the Linux logo popped up on the pin pad screen. I'm not tech savy at all, but I didn't think different operating systems could work together like that, though I don't really have any knowledge to say why I thought that. I just thought it was odd basically.

I was wondering the same thing. Our registers run on Windows. However, when I accidentally rebooted the pin pad, the Linux logo popped up on the pin pad screen. I'm not tech savy at all, but I didn't think different operating systems could work together like that, though I don't really have any knowledge to say why I thought that. I just thought it was odd basically.
Ohh, no, I just misunderstood you. The pin pad definitely cab be running a Linux varient. A lot of things do these days.

I do know for a fact, there's a certain barcode set-aside, for just rebooting POS.

Honestly. I could see someone using it, in fantasy target to wreak major havoc... ;)

New registers are on windows seven. The old ones run on xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back