Archived What Not To Wear To Orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen shorts, leggings, sweats, open-toed shoes, ugg boots, etc. I know that it is a retail job but applicants shouldn't dress like they just left the bedroom, beach, gym, or nightclub to the interview.
Hey, I happen to like wearing my Uggs on cold but dry days. They go well with my plaid flannel shirt.

I wore sandals to my interview 😬 I was 17 and asked my other 17 year old friends what to wear and they all said “a cute shirt and jeans with some sandals”

Hey, I happen to like wearing my Uggs on cold but dry days. They go well with my plaid flannel shirt.

There is nothing wrong with you liking to wear ugg boots. I just think that they are way too casual to be considered appropriate attire for an interview.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with you liking to wear ugg boots. I just think that they are way too casual to be considered appropriate attire for an interview.

In Alaska, in the winter time, they are considered dressing up.
We tend to cut people a lot of slack when it comes to footwear in the winter time up here.

In Alaska, in the winter time, they are considered dressing up.
We tend to cut people a lot of slack when it comes to footwear in the winter time up here.

I understand wearing Ugg boots if you live in a colder state but I am in Cali. It does get cold here but not to the point in which someone will freeze indoors without those boots for the short duration of the interview process. If the applicant can't live without Uggs for too long, then they can change back into Uggs after the job offer. First impressions are critical during the interview process because the applicant does not have the job yet.

Last edited:
I actually wore an oxford shirt and slacks to my interview and felt super overdressed as soon as I sat down with the other interviewees. It was a cold November and everyone else just wore jackets over tees with jeans and sneakers.

I can't speak for all stores, but the interviewers at my store get super excited and impressed when an applicant is actually dressed appropriately for an interview. Interviewers like that applicants like you are showing respect to the interviewer and the job.

I wore a Hawaiian shirt to my interview :oops:

What I wore:

Interview 1: Jeans. Stylish button up shirt untucked. Nice shoes.
Interview 2 the next day: Jeans. Long sleeve tee (actually purchased at Target). Nice shoes.
Orientation two days later: Jeans. College-branded hoodie (it was a cold night). Nice shoes.

I don't think it matters too much as long as you don't wear something inappropriate. Interviewing at Spot isn't exactly interviewing for a 6-figure job.

We have to take in account that dress attire and respect for employment is different in 2018. We live in a culture where people in general believe they are entitled to everything. Some of this is relatable to social media and parenting. Unless someone has modeled different behavior I'm unsure if any common sense kicks in. I'm unsure if some even make a concious decision what to wear. They might wear what is comfortable to them, what they think you might like, or they truely are wearing their best clothes.
I've seen some really odd things that make you question society. It's sad when you really think about it. What if the outfits we laugh at are something they thought would impress or was simply the nicest outfit they own?

-Years ago I saw a girl come to an interview in a tight white strapless shirt with no bra. Very busty woman. It was raining that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back