What repercussions could I face for secretly recording discriminatory and harassing behavior from leaders?

For over 4 months now I have been dealing with discriminatory and harassing behavior from the leaders at my workcenter. I've reported these behaviors to multiple leaders with no change. I've contacted the Ethics Hotline and been told the situation had been "handled", even though the behavior has continued.

I have been recording these inappropriate interactions since September, and have filed an official complaint with the EEOC. I meet with the EEOC in March to look at upping the complaint to a charge. I live in a single-party consent state.

I've been trying to find another job, but the harassment and complete disregard by leaders is starting to drive me to a dark place. I'm looking at applying for unemployment under "constructive discharge" (where you were forced to quit an unsafe job).

For both the EEOC complaint and the unemployment application, I am planning on using the recordings as proof of the inappropriate conduct. My question is: if/when the existence of these recordings gets back to Target, what kinds of repercussions can I expect to face? Can they do anything if I no longer work for Target?

Thanks.

Solution
But where's the corroborating evidence when the writer says ear sex and Johnny says Hello Kitty? Where is the proof that will show for certain what was said in the back room?
Consistent documentation of interactions with dates and times and detailed accounts of what happened are pretty good evidence.

The other party won't have that. Spot does have cameras and they have pdds and push clocks. But if the OP is documenting interactions that evidence can actually make the case stronger against spot.

If recordings are allowed in court then all the better but written accounts work just as well and in tandem with anything else.
For over 4 months now I have been dealing with discriminatory and harassing behavior from the leaders at my workcenter. I've reported these behaviors to multiple leaders with no change. I've contacted the Ethics Hotline and been told the situation had been "handled", even though the behavior has continued.

I have been recording these inappropriate interactions since September, and have filed an official complaint with the EEOC. I meet with the EEOC in March to look at upping the complaint to a charge. I live in a single-party consent state.

I've been trying to find another job, but the harassment and complete disregard by leaders is starting to drive me to a dark place. I'm looking at applying for unemployment under "constructive discharge" (where you were forced to quit an unsafe job).

For both the EEOC complaint and the unemployment application, I am planning on using the recordings as proof of the inappropriate conduct. My question is: if/when the existence of these recordings gets back to Target, what kinds of repercussions can I expect to face? Can they do anything if I no longer work for Target?

Thanks.
Before you do anything else, I think you should consult a lawyer to find out what type of legal protection you have. Target will obviously not be pleased when they get wind of the recordings, but what your leaders will do is anybody’s guess. What leaders are supposed to do and what they actually do can vary, sometimes greatly. If you could get another job and get out before knowledge of the recordings surface, it would be better because you wouldn’t need to use Spot as a reference after the stuff hits the fan, and you would probably avoid a lot of on the job unpleasantness. A lawyer could fill you in about the constructive discharge unemployment application and perhaps the possible chances of success getting approved. Good luck!

There are more types of harassment than just sexual.
Right, why I asked do you feel they are being mean. I think some people would justify some things as harassment and others would take it as their boss being a hard ass and the boss thinking it is the right way to get the most out of people, not that to agree but not everyone sees things the same way.

That's why I asked what or how you were being harassed.

Did you read the whole post? My recordings ARE the documentation, otherwise it's just a they said/ they said. I'm not getting rid of them. People need to be held accountable. I'm not asking how to avoid repercussions, just what repercussions I may face.
I'd say the only repercussions youd face are termination as you were recording on company time and it's against policy. Especially if you are a one person consent state.

Did you read the whole post? My recordings ARE the documentation, otherwise it's just a they said/ they said. I'm not getting rid of them. People need to be held accountable. I'm not asking how to avoid repercussions, just what repercussions I may face.
Yes I did. My state does not allowed recording without consent of both parties. Spot is checking on your claim . Did you talk to your SD ?

It depends on whether you are a two party consent state and what the remedy is for violation of that law, if there is one. If they can sue you they might. If the people you recorded know their rights or are punished, they might be able to sue you. A local employment law lawyer would be your ideal advisor.

Thanks.
Here is the timeline in the op's post.
1. They worked for spot in sept 2020 & had issues during 4th qtr with mgt.
2. Was told being handled. Spot would take notes & report it your hr & SD.
3. The op filed a complaint with EEOC in March 2021.. Covid will cause a delay.
4. Came back to work for spot in august 2021
5. Having issues again in 4th qtr.
6. Called hotline. Was told being handled. Spot will not tell you any details during an investigation.
7. Recording events is not good. Documenting events with dates, times, & what folks is better.
8. Comes to the TBR for answers. We are at different stores & in different states.

There is several details missing from the op. They need talk to hr or their SD. They can hire an atty at their own expense to fight this. spot will put a big fight, with paperwork showing reviews, performance, attendance & policy violations. Naming a few things...

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as you, except I am in a 2-party consent state. There are exceptions to that requirement that SCOTUS ruled on though, one of them being somewhat along the lines of if the interaction occurs somewhere that isn’t a private setting or basically anywhere that someone else could easily be listening in on, then there is no expectation of privacy and their consent is no longer required. I reached out to my regional HRBP for clarification on any of Targets policies regarding audio recording, and after a bit of research on her end, her initial response was “it is not best practice to record an interaction with another team member (ETL in my case)”, so after a bunch of back and forth I finally got a direct answer that there is no Target policy that disallows audio recording.

Right, why I asked do you feel they are being mean. I think some people would justify some things as harassment and others would take it as their boss being a hard ass and the boss thinking it is the right way to get the most out of people, not that to agree but not everyone sees things the same way.

That's why I asked what or how you were being harassed.
I cannot give any more information without risking the discovery of my identity. It was, and has been, both discrimination and harassment.

Here is the timeline in the op's post.
1. They worked for spot in sept 2020 & had issues during 4th qtr with mgt.
2. Was told being handled. Spot would take notes & report it your hr & SD.
3. The op filed a complaint with EEOC in March 2021.. Covid will cause a delay.
4. Came back to work for spot in august 2021
5. Having issues again in 4th qtr.
6. Called hotline. Was told being handled. Spot will not tell you any details during an investigation.
7. Recording events is not good. Documenting events with dates, times, & what folks is better.
8. Comes to the TBR for answers. We are at different stores & in different states.

There is several details missing from the op. They need talk to hr or their SD. They can hire an atty at their own expense to fight this. spot will put a big fight, with paperwork showing reviews, performance, attendance & policy violations. Naming a few things...
I'm sorry, almost none of this is accurate. Where are you getting your information? I didn't say anything near the details you're giving. This is incredibly creepy.

Document all events. Do not record anything.
Problem with documenting is there is no proof that what you wrote down is real. Anyone can write "Johnny was very graphic about where he wanted to put his dick in me at 12:37 11/5 in the back room near the chemical wacos." Did Johnny talk about ear sex or was the other person lying and Johnny was talking about the Hello Kitty doll he got for his daughter?

Problem with documenting is there is no proof that what you wrote down is real. Anyone can write "Johnny was very graphic about where he wanted to put his dick in me at 12:37 11/5 in the back room near the chemical wacos." Did Johnny talk about ear sex or was the other person lying and Johnny was talking about the Hello Kitty doll he got for his daughter?
its not heresay, when written down.

It seems the general consensus is that I should consult a lawyer. Though this is already in the works, thank you. I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight, from a target policy perspective, as to what kind of repercussions I could face.

we are not an official target site. every store is different.
This is no longer just a store issue. It is a corporate issue as well. They have been informed of the inappropriate behavior and have disregarded it. If I face repercussions beyond just termination, they will come from corporate, not an individual store.

Back