Archived What to do during this hard time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got news of my grandfathers passing this morning. As I can not come into work today for my shift does anyone know the policy for when someone’ passes away in your family? I’m so lost Do I need to bring something in to show them?

Perhaps a funeral program.

My condolences.

@Yellowrosek, here is some info from the time off guide:

Paid Bereavement Time Off:
  • Non-exempt store team members with average hours of 20 or more are eligible for bereavement pay from the first full pay period after the first of the month following 6 full months of service.
  • In the event of a death in the immediate family, up to 3 scheduled days is paid time.
    • Immediate Family:
      • Spouse/domestic partner/common-law spouse in locations that recognize common law marriage
      • Parent: biological, adopted, step, mother/father-in-law
      • Child: biological, adopted, foster, step, son/daughter-in-law, legal ward, domestic partner biological/adopted child
      • Brother/Sister: step, half, brother/sister-in-law
      • Grandparent/Grandchild
      • Stillborn: mother or biological father of stillborn child at 20 weeks of gestation or greater
      • Aunt/Uncle
      • Niece/Nephew
  • In the event of a death of a close friend or distant relative, up to 4 hours is paid time.
    • Distant Relative:
      • Grandparent-in-law
      • Aunt/Uncle-in-law
      • Cousin
      • Great-grandparent
      • Step-grandparent
    • Note: Team members are limited to 4 paid events in a rolling 24-month period for distant family/close friend. Additional time off needed for such events will be unpaid.
  • Proof is not required to receive bereavement pay or unpaid time. However, Target reserves the right to request appropriate documentation.
Unpaid Bereavement Time and Extended Time Off:
Team members who are not eligible for [bereavement] pay, or who need extended time off, are eligible for unpaid time off. If this time exceeds 3 scheduled days for DC Team members or 7 calendar days for all other team members, this would be requested as a Personal Leave of Absence. The length of unpaid Personal Leave of Absence for purposes of bereavement/funeral time is determined and approved by the team member's leader and HR partner. (See LOA Guidelines for additional details on Target’s Personal Leave of Absence). Team members in Oregon may be eligible under the Oregon Family Leave Act for bereavement purposes. Team members should contact the Target Leave and Disability team.

Last edited:
We had a girl at my store who's boyfriend died and they would NOT give her any days off. They told her she could put in for time off but when she asked if they would help cover her shifts so she could be with their daughter and his family and for her own mental health, they refused to help. She had a hard time, it was brutal.

She quit. I don't blame her. Our ETLS can be dicks.

We had a girl at my store who's boyfriend died and they would NOT give her any days off. They told her she could put in for time off but when she asked if they would help cover her shifts so she could be with their daughter and his family and for her own mental health, they refused to help. She had a hard time, it was brutal.

Oh, so fuck those people.
If they had a kid together that puts the person in another category then just 'boyfriend'.
Those kind of people don't deserve to have jobs.

To @Yellowrosek
I'm so sorry for your loss.
My deepest condolences.

sorry for your loss. this just happened to me when my boyfriend’s father passed. i asked my store team leader if it was ok to get 2 days off for the funeral, then got with my hr to let her know the days, and put them on swap board. i ended up getting paid for both those days. no one took the shifts though so i’m guessing it still counted against me.

Yellowrose, my condolences. Call your LOD and explain the situation.

I am absolutely NOT condoning the TLs response. But if the TM called him her boyfriend, I can understand why they would have handled it differently than a domestic partner (which is teems he really was, given that they had a child together). Also, if she fell below the minimum average hours requirement, she wouldn't have been eliglble for PTO, based on HRLady's info above.

sorry for your loss. this just happened to me when my boyfriend’s father passed. i asked my store team leader if it was ok to get 2 days off for the funeral, then got with my hr to let her know the days, and put them on swap board. i ended up getting paid for both those days. no one took the shifts though so i’m guessing it still counted against me.

When you request bereavement the shifts have to stay on your timecard. If you delete the shifts the team member cannot be paid for them. It will show on your absence report as funeral pay though rather than a regular absence.

when she asked if they would help cover her shifts so she could be with their daughter and his family and for her own mental health, they refused to help. She had a hard time, it was brutal. She quit.

got with my hr to let her know the days, and put them on swap board

Man, I can't believe this. I literally just helped a TM replace all of their shifts and added bereavement pay for them because they will attend a funeral this week.

Why are they making depressed TMs suffer by not allowing time off to grieve? Why aren't they helping TMs replace 2 simple shifts? If you guys were at my store, we wouldn't pull this kind of crap.

Also, if she fell below the minimum average hours requirement, she wouldn't have been eliglble for PTO, based on HRLady's info above.

Thank you for reading it!

I think the TM can still qualify for unpaid time off regardless of avg hours and job length though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back