Archived What to do if not told

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got a conditional job offer today, pending my background check.
I'm the kind of person who needs to be told what to do. My interviewer today said that would happen sometimes. He said yeah, you may sometimes come in and ne told to do this, then this, then that, in order. Ok, sounds good, that's what I'll do. But then suppose that's all I'm told. If I finish that, should I always ask (and who?) what to do next? Am I just supposed to pick something on my own? I want to show initiative, and not always have to bother anybody asking what I should go do until I am told. Let's say I go in, and are told they need back up cashiering right away. Ok, so I go do that, and it dies down and am then told I'm no longer needed at the registers. Is there a default task to go to until called upon/instructed again?

I assume I'd be told all of this at orientation/training, just trying to be prepared. ;)

When you first clock in, the LOD will direct you what to do. Grab a walkie and say something along the lines of: "LOD, this is [[your name]] clocking in for [[your scheduled workcenter for the day, like Hardlines for example]]. Where would you like me to start?" It wouldn't hurt to ask "What should I do once I finish ___?" and just go from there. That shows that you're eager to help, but don't want to be constantly having to ask for direction after the fact.

Taking initiative is a good idea, just be smart about it. For example, if you finish your zone and have put back all of your in-area reshop (returns/stray items), then bring up the out-of-area re-shop and sort it to the appropriate carts. If there aren't any other areas left to be zoned, then start pushing out re-shop until there's little to nothing left. If there's no re-shop, check to see if there are CAF's (items pulled from the back room that need to be put out on the floor) to push out. But if there are 2 other people already working on something, it might be worth looking for something else to do so there's more work getting done.

If there's nothing left, let the LOD know that you've finished whatever you were working on, and ask what else you should move on to. Remember that the LOD and your team leaders are there to help you. There's no shame in asking for help! Good luck!

Last edited:
So basically try to get a few tasks to start, and then it really shouldn't be an issue asking after all? I will bring this up at orientation/training, just thought I'd ask here ahead of time. Thanks, anybody else, feel free to chime in.

Try to relax. Don't seem over-eager. I can assure you it doesn't go over well. Take advantage of the time you spend with your trainer(s) and TL(s) and ask them questions as they arise. Be open to learning new things/other areas of the store.

I agree with what Hardlinesguy said. Check in with the LOD when you first come in (unless you are front end) and see what he/she wants done. Take it one step at a time. At my store, for the salesfloor, the LOD will usually have a task list based on priorities for the day (such as #1 reshop #2 pushing out clearance #3 CAFs...) Take your time to learn and you'll be fine.

It depends what your job is. If you are salesfloor, the LOD will likely have a big list of projects and tasks that they want to accomplish during their shift, and they will just dole them out as TMs ask for things to do.

As you get more comfortable you will eventually start to figure out a pattern of things that you get asked to do all the time and you could take the initiative on getting those done.

I am hardlines and when i come in for a closing shift we always start pushing out of the one stockroom first. If they are done we check for market push. Then reshop until we start zoning about 6/7 then more reshop.

I was hired for hardlines. I assume they will fill me in on what to do, just thought I'd ask here as well first. Thanks for all the replies ;)

Depending on the stores volume you will always have something to do. I am in a super high volume store and very very rarely is there nothing to get done.

Yeah, I didn't think there would be any downtime, I was just wondering how good they are at doling out tasks. I'm on the quiet side, so I was hoping to not have to ask. Like I said, I prefer being told :)

You will need to ask at least some of the time. The LODs have a lot going on on their shifts and don't always have time to tell you what needs to be done. At my store, at night because there are less people the LODs seem to check up on you more than during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back