Archived What will the future of Target be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we all know some bogus decisions and plans have been made by corporate already in the past few months, but what will it be like further down the road? I was listening to a random audio clip from I believe an Obama speech, and what he said I think would be pretty accurate if say someone took over Target (a regular TM God forbid, and totally turn it around). I believe his speech would be something like that (to quote from the obama speech):

"The Democrats (Corporate) drove our economy(company) into a ditch, we (TM's) got in there and pushed and shove. Just because we are standing sipp'n on a slurpie (recovering from their mistakes), they have the nerve to ask for the keys(power) back. I don't wanna give the keys back, they don't know how to drive. When you wanna go forward, you put your car in D, They're (corporate) going to pop it in reverse. I don't wanna give them the keys back, they don't know how to drive!"

Again maybe I am just bored and making no sense lol.

Well, I'm going to present the facts to you.. from a $ perspective (being that it is a business)
The company just released it's Q4 net earnings.. $981mil (Little less than last year, but still a .3% net profit over the 2011 year)
The stock prices shot up nearly $4 per share in the last week.. mostly thanks to the earnings report they released.
In addition, they are expanding to Canada, and are opening several city stores this year.
The company is doing really well. Really, Really well.
Sometimes the ETL's are a pain in the rear, but keep in mind it's ultimately HQ that makes the decisions. The ETL's get sent the orders and they delegate the tasks to the TL/TM's. It's a business, and their motto seems to be working just fine. The company is making profit, and generating a return for the investors. You can't take it personally if your hours are cut.. it's just business.. It's a numbers game. Feeling and emotions have little to do in business. Sometimes I wish they did, but ultimately when you're running a corporation of nearly 1,800 stores, you can't make decisions based on your emotional feelings.
So based on the numbers, the company is setting itself up for success. As long as it doesn't lose too much good talent, they will do just fine. In a country of 300+ million people, there are many people to replace the one's lost.. so as long as there are people buying the idea that *THEY* will move up and promote within, then there will always be someone to fill the spot (no pun intended) of our fallen TM's.

With how hours are being cut, I wouldn't be surprised that Electronics and some other high risk items will become catalog backroom items only; something like Brendles and Service Merchandise. The salesfloor would be filled with displays. But guests would have to approach a kiosk to have the item brought up to guest service from the backroom.

With how hours are being cut, I wouldn't be surprised that Electronics and some other high risk items will become catalog backroom items only; something like Brendles and Service Merchandise. The salesfloor would be filled with displays. But guests would have to approach a kiosk to have the item brought up to guest service from the backroom.

Service Merchandise! Didn't they go out of business 10 years ago? Is that the future of Target?

Just talked to one of P&G's vendors.
They are cutting the entire crew and putting the work out to a independent operation.
She looked into the new position.
They would be treating her as a private contractor with not benefits and lower pay.
The mileage would barely cover the cost of gas much less wear and tear.

When a major corp is pulling frelling drek like this how long will it be before we find ourselves as independent contractors.

While the idea of a regular TM taking over is probably not going to happen, we can certainly hope for the unionization of target which will help all the low and middle income target employees get their fair share of pay and benefits from their employment
Well we all know some bogus decisions and plans have been made by corporate already in the past few months, but what will it be like further down the road? I was listening to a random audio clip from I believe an Obama speech, and what he said I think would be pretty accurate if say someone took over Target (a regular TM God forbid, and totally turn it around). I believe his speech would be something like that (to quote from the obama speech):

"The Democrats (Corporate) drove our economy(company) into a ditch, we (TM's) got in there and pushed and shove. Just because we are standing sipp'n on a slurpie (recovering from their mistakes), they have the nerve to ask for the keys(power) back. I don't wanna give the keys back, they don't know how to drive. When you wanna go forward, you put your car in D, They're (corporate) going to pop it in reverse. I don't wanna give them the keys back, they don't know how to drive!"

Again maybe I am just bored and making no sense lol.

Target won't be able to continue if they continue following their current business model. They are getting rid of all the people in the store with knowledge of how to actually perform the daily tasks and replacing them with underskilled yes-men. This company took a turn for the worse about 7 years ago.

Just talked to one of P&G's vendors.
They are cutting the entire crew and putting the work out to a independent operation.
She looked into the new position.
They would be treating her as a private contractor with not benefits and lower pay.
The mileage would barely cover the cost of gas much less wear and tear.

When a major corp is pulling frelling drek like this how long will it be before we find ourselves as independent contractors.

FedEx drivers are independent contractors. It prevents FedEx from having to provide benefits and makes it all but impossible to unionize. I'd say you're on to something.

Ok. I have a friend who is a driver for them on short trips. I have a hub & a FedEx center near me, he says. I will ask for more details

Unions are the ONLY way to protect the low and middle income employees!
FedEx drivers are independent contractors. It prevents FedEx from having to provide benefits and makes it all but impossible to unionize. I'd say you're on to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back