What would you do?

On Thanksgiving day one of our young energetic TM that’s been there two years came in to work at 5 in a very good, silly mood. This is normal for this TM would recently butted heads with her lead because of personal stuff. At 5:15 she was called to HR who told Her she was either drunk or high. She denied it and was pissed she was accused. He said then take a drug and alcohol test right now. She smokes so she refused and walked out. I know she wasn’t drinking and pretty sure she wasn’t high. If she smokes on her off time and not at work she would of still failed Even if she was straight at work. What would you do? I think she should of refused and went back to work.

Well in california .o8 alcoholic limit. She could have had only ONE drink legally...but i am not sure the limits for marijuana...i would have waited AFTER her shift to smoke just to be safe. Sounds like like someone snitched her out...someone who knows she drank and smoke at her thanksgiving family dinner before clocking in to work...unless it was very obvious she was drunk and or high at work in that case..i say it is unacceptable. If you are going to drink and or smoke...do so responsibly.

I'm sure it varies by state (legal alcohol limit, legal use of marijuana) and remnants of smoking marijuana remain in the body long after the person is no longer under the effects. So a breathalyzer for alcohol might have cleared her, but a test for marijuana might have created more trouble for her even if she wasn't high then. (We need to have better testing methods now that it's become legal in so many states.)
Depending on how silly she was acting, she might not have been allowed to go back to work after refusing. And for a store to send someone home on Thanksgiving, given how busy it'd be? That's pretty radical. No way would we have wanted to be down even one cashier that night.

If you refuse, I don't think you can go back to work. I am not sure of Spot's rules, but at my old job if you refused testing you had to leave, you could not continue working.

I had a couple of glasses of wine in the early afternoon on Thanksgiving but by the time I went to work I was stone cold sober. I don't smoke, but if I did I would not smoke before work. There are telltale signs - best to keep that for after hours.

Back