Archived What's the max pay you can make as a TM? In CA to be specific

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious, what's the max you can make as a TM in California. Like if I work there for 25+ years, can I expect $20+/hr

I'm curious, what's the max you can make as a TM in California. Like if I work there for 25+ years, can I expect $20+/hr
I seriously doubt it. Well. 25 years from now maybe. But I doubt someone who has worked there for 25 years right now would make that much.

If you start at $9.00 right now and make $.30 a year raises in 25 years you'd be around $16.50.

Yeah, I'm just giving an example. But I'm saying is there a cut off?

Yeah, I'm just giving an example. But I'm saying is there a cut off?
Yes. Once you hit it, you only get yearly raises for O's and EX's as far as I am aware. Not sure what the exact cutoff is though.

Every pay grade tops out at different rates. And any TM right now, who's worked there 25 years, is probably making close to 20 an hour. The raises used to be a lot better. My friend has been a TL for 25 years and she makes like 23

Every pay grade tops out at different rates. And any TM right now, who's worked there 25 years, is probably making close to 20 an hour. The raises used to be a lot better. My friend has been a TL for 25 years and she makes like 23

Pretty sure TL has a much higher cap. We have a cashier whose worked here for 23 years, I'd be shocked if she makes anywhere near as much as our GSTL. GSTL only makes like 13-15 I believe.

Pretty sure TL has a much higher cap. We have a cashier whose worked here for 23 years, I'd be shocked if she makes anywhere near as much as our GSTL. GSTL only makes like 13-15 I believe.
Why else do you think she's still there? Lol

Why else do you think she's still there? Lol

Because she has absolutely no motivation? They tried to offer her GSA a while ago, she ran screaming in the opposite direction, and didn't want the added responsibility.

Raises used to be 50 cents for an effective.
Raises, like many team member benefits, have gone down a lot. There are a few former TLs (now TM) at my store that are capped out, but they say Target used to give you $1 raises every year. This year, one of them was uncapped because of minimum wage increase and they only received something like 15 cents for an Ex.

While it was once possible to cap out, I don't think it is anymore. Target has little interest in retaining team members long term and provide no incentives to make anything under an ETL a career.

I know a tm who makes $14 an hour after 12 years. And I don't think there is a cap. If you get a good enough review, you get a raise. Now, the fact they might intentionally hold down your review is another issue.

Some people don't want to promote. They are fine with being where they are. It's not for me to say how someone else should run their life. We can't all be bosses.

In my store cashiers use to start at 8.50 and were capped at 12. Not sure what it is now with spot starting everyone at 9

After your pay reaches the max for a tm. (Typically 5 dollars over starting) YOU CAN ONLY GET A RAISE IF YOU GET AN EXCELLENT OR OUTSTANDING REVIEW SCORE. if you don't get an E or O, you get no raise. If you do get an E or and O, the max raise you can ever get is a quarter.

Minimum wage in CA is increasing to $10 as of 01/01/2016 with plans to increase it to $13 noted in The LA Times:

The state Senate on Thursday approved a measure that would gradually raise the minimum wage in California from the current $8 an hour to $13 in 2017, despite warnings from the California Chamber of Commerce that the bill is a “job killer.”

Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco) said his bill is necessary to help lift many of the 7.9 million Californians being paid minimum wage out of poverty. “Income inequality has been spoken of by our president as the defining challenge of our time,” Leno told his colleagues.

He said the current minimum wage is so low it allows many who receive it to get public assistance. “It is our tax dollars that are subsidizing the largest corporations paying these poverty wages.” Leno said. No other state has a minimum wage of $13 an hour.

Republican lawmakers said the increase will result in businesses raising prices or cutting their workforce. They noted that the Legislature last year approved a bill that would raise the minimum wage from $8 an hour to $9 on July 1 and to $10 on Jan. 1, 2016.

Tom Berryhill (R-Modesto), who opposed the measure. “It's for kids, summer jobs.”

He said an owner of three restaurants in his district has told him the change would force cutbacks. “She won't be able to afford it. That means more people will lose their jobs,” he said.

TL caps out in the PNW about 35k a year.. umm my former TL left a pay stub in her drawer.. I know she was capped or super close, 19 years was her time served. She is free now. :)

@unknown you are correct not all of us want to be TL, I have done leadership and just don't want the stress. Like today 20 carts of reshop? Yeah bye!

Last edited:
TL caps out in the PNW about 35k a year.. umm my former TL left a pay stub in her drawer.. I know she was capped or super close, 19 years was her time served. She is free now. :)

@unknown you are correct not all of us want to be TL, I have done leadership and just don't want the stress. Like today 20 carts of reshop? Yeah bye!
"We can't all be captains there has to be a crew." Fred Rogers. Smart man.

I've been working for 2.5 years and I'm still making the same as a new hire despite getting really good reviews, if that answers your question.

Minimum wage in CA is increasing to $10 as of 01/01/2016 with plans to increase it to $13 noted in The LA Times:

The state Senate on Thursday approved a measure that would gradually raise the minimum wage in California from the current $8 an hour to $13 in 2017, despite warnings from the California Chamber of Commerce that the bill is a “job killer.”

Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco) said his bill is necessary to help lift many of the 7.9 million Californians being paid minimum wage out of poverty. “Income inequality has been spoken of by our president as the defining challenge of our time,” Leno told his colleagues.

He said the current minimum wage is so low it allows many who receive it to get public assistance. “It is our tax dollars that are subsidizing the largest corporations paying these poverty wages.” Leno said. No other state has a minimum wage of $13 an hour.

Republican lawmakers said the increase will result in businesses raising prices or cutting their workforce. They noted that the Legislature last year approved a bill that would raise the minimum wage from $8 an hour to $9 on July 1 and to $10 on Jan. 1, 2016.

Tom Berryhill (R-Modesto), who opposed the measure. “It's for kids, summer jobs.”

He said an owner of three restaurants in his district has told him the change would force cutbacks. “She won't be able to afford it. That means more people will lose their jobs,” he said.

What's funny is that probably every Republican and CEO would say the minimum wage is too high now. They wouldn't one at all.

The answer would have to tie minimum wage to the rate of inflation when it first began.

All pay grades have a cap & each cap is different based on the starting base pay.

I've been with Target 20+ years & make more then $25 but less than $30. I am capped. If I receive an EX or O on my review, I receive 1/2 of what my raise should be. If I receive anything less than an EX, I do not receive a raise.

That same rule applies to all pay grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back