Archived What's the most time I can realistically request for a vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unpaid time off. I want to go spend a week or so visiting family out of state. I've been working for about 9 months now. My attendance hasn't been great due to some health problems so I worry I'll get denied. Is a week or maybe 10 days off reasonable if I request it way in advance, and not during any major holidays/events? I've never requested time off before so I have no idea how this works. :/

I'm also worried because I'm gonna have to request at least 2 weeks off for surgery at some point in the next year. I realize that counts as a medical LOA, but still, I don't want them to get mad at me for being gone so much.

Last edited:
First off ,don't even mention loa for next year,secondly, a week or 10 days is not excessive but the longer in advance you request the more likely you are to get approved,I usually ask my leader very early telling them I have to book airfare etc and get that approval and as soon as I can get it into the system I make sure they approve it that day.

If you are having surgery, use the short term disability. That way, you can get some pay while you are out.

Check with your HR. Try ST disability or FMLA first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back