Service & Engagement What's the point of trying anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More progress: GSTL has started recognizing my efforts and is going to speak to our STL. She's a favorite around here so her word is golden.

Had a discussion with my STL a day or so ago again regarding my development and promotion. He brought up a coaching I received on Xmas Eve that involved me getting in the middle of two TMs disputing. I may or may not have already mentioned that little tale somewhere on this forum. But the gist from him was that they don't see things like that as characteristic of leaders. I agree, and I will continue to regret my involvement in that dispute. But ultimately, he said, the decision to promote or not will come from interviews, first with the ETL-HR (who is interim ETL-GE), then with him. I don't know if either of them would pass me in an interview but from the sound of things it's unlikely. I still have my GSTL's recommendation going for me but what good is it if the STL has already made up his mind on the matter?

But in truth there's really just no way to tell. My STL is difficult to read; I can never tell when he's giving constructive feedback or when he's just annoyed with me. Maybe he would give me the OK in the interview. I just lean towards a no from him.

At this point I just want this saga to be over with. I don't even care if they give me a negative response in the interviews, or just don't interview at all. I just want to know their answer.

Last edited:
I hate it when ETLs talk about your performance to you. It's so scripted and fake and mainly bullshit with lies and attempts of character assassination sprinkled on top. I prefer to avoid them.

My ETL is giving me GSA shifts here and there now. I have 3/5 shifts as GSA this week, and one next week. When she is LOD this week and I am closing GSA, I will ask her how I can apply/be interviewed for the position, one final time.
do you get keys? does your store have the closer bank the lanes?

be vocal. they wanted me at service desk, but didn't have training hours. i had to cover a shift that went ok that i got moved over there without the training shift. because of that i lost the promotion to an idiot who worked at another store. they said they'd give me cash office shifts so i'd have that up my sleeve. never happened.

do you get keys? does your store have the closer bank the lanes?

Yes and yes. I carry the GSTL keys, and usually close the lanes solo with an LOD's speed ID. There are a few LODs who will not print a speed ID for me (understandably) and actually close the lanes with me, which takes a lot of time out of their own closing procedures and is something I wish they didn't have to do. If this were any other store where these things were handled like they're supposed to be, I'd have my raise and supervisor numbers by now.

My GSTL is supposed to be speaking with the ETL-HR. Hopefully I'll have an answer as to whether I'm being interviewed or not by the end of this week.

I carry the GSTL keys, and usually close the lanes solo with an LOD's speed ID.

Forhyre... You seem to have a great head on your shoulders. And I would gladly consider you for a GSA position at my store. But your store is messed up if they're having you on a repetitive basis watching & closing the lanes... Especially if LODs are printing and giving you their Speed IDs. Do they take you in the cash office at the end of the night, too?

... I'm twitching just thinking about what my HR would say about all of this!

Do they take you in the cash office at the end of the night, too?

Yes.

I'm twitching just thinking about what my HR would say about all of this!

Unfortunately my ETL-HR is one of the LODs more than happy to print her speed ID for me, rather than change my jobcode. She, quote, "doesn't want to get in trouble with [the STL]."

I would gladly consider you for a GSA position at my store.

Thank you. If only I were at your store!

Once again spoke to ETL-HR. She says she absolutely wants to interview, but doesn't want to conduct the interview until she is certain I will pass with the STL. Basically the interview is just a formality, and she wants to make certain this STL wants me. So they are going to go ahead and continue scheduling me in the position without the compensation or sup #s. :)

How can I tell them I no longer wish to do GSA shifts until I'm paid accordingly?

If you do that, you have derailed everything worked for, so far.

I've worked for nothing. It's clear my store has no intention to promote. They started giving other TLs GSTL shifts so I'd no longer have the majority of mine as GSA and they wouldn't be forced to key me in for the position.

My store's leadership is a crock of shit, mainly the sorry excuse of an STL. If it were any other store I'd be promoted by now.

I've worked for nothing. It's clear my store has no intention to promote. They started giving other TLs GSTL shifts so I'd no longer have the majority of mine as GSA and they wouldn't be forced to key me in for the position.

My store's leadership is a crock of shit, mainly the sorry excuse of an STL. If it were any other store I'd be promoted by now.

Sorry man, I know how hard you've worked for this.
Maybe look into switching stores?

Maybe look into switching stores?

Unfortunately rumor has it this STL does not approve transfers, unless you are moving. But I don't want to lie and say I'm moving and he somehow finds out that isn't true or something.

I think I'm stuck here. But I can try to apply at another store again once the internal application site on eHR lets me in. Have to wait 180 days from last app. :(

You shouldn't have to wait 180 days. I've done multiple apps for different positions over a 3 month period. Your store should only have your app for 60 days at the most. They may have to release your app. They always released mine after the interview process.

Well ETL-HR says she's going to speak to STL about "what to do with me" by Wednesday...so I'm guessing I'll finally know my answer by then. Just know that it will be nothing less than a miracle if I report back to y'all with positive news from this STL.

You shouldn't have to wait 180 days. I've done multiple apps for different positions over a 3 month period. Your store should only have your app for 60 days at the most. They may have to release your app. They always released mine after the interview process.

Should I give the other store's HR a call?

They may be giving you the run around to be honest. Calling the other store hr may work. It may just piss some people at your store off too.

I know this thread is a few months old, but I would like to chime in.

OP, I totally understand how you feel. I've been with Spot for over 3 years. In that 3 years, my raises have equated to less than $0.50 and anytime I inquire about extra training or transfers, they seem to brush things under the rug.

I also have my Bachelors degree in Psych. You'd think that would qualify me for, at the very least, a TL position. We recently had one open and it was given to a 19 year old with absolutely no retail experience (associate, cashier, management, etc.).

I know the frustrations you feel. The only things keeping me afloat by this point are that A.) I'm saving up for a very important trip later in the year and B.) I know Target is not the destination; just a detour.

Got the interview. First thing tomorrow with the ETL-HR, then on Friday with the STL.

:D

I'm really hoping I pass these interviews, especially with this STL. I've heard they're mostly a formality but I'm not going to be confident until the day I am officially keyed in the system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back