Service & Engagement What's the point of trying anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, the new schedule is up and once again I have NO service desk shifts, and they're giving one of the cashiers a GSA shift. Once again, what's the point? They say they "see" leadership in her. What does that even mean? She's just doing the same thing everyone else is. I'm as capable as her.

New schedule for me is 5 shifts, all titled Training, only person to say anything about it all day was a HRTM, if she hadn't I'd have not even noticed, she saw me looking at the swap board (I was looking to pick up extra shifts next week, hadn't even realized the following week was up) and she thought I'd already seen it and asked if I was surprised, when I scrunched up my face at her in confusion she explained that the new schedule had me shadowing the GSTL all week.

He was working when I came in today, didn't say a thing to me about it, nor did the ETL-GE or ETL-HR despite both being there and both speaking to me during the day about other things.

We have awesome communication at my store. I assume I'm being officially promoted this week or next week or they wouldn't have scheduled me the training shifts, but, dunno, I haven't technically even applied. I don't think they changed my jobcode yet though as I wasn't given sup #'s.

Last edited:
Be the best at your job, which means you need to get your fair share of redcards. Show up for your shifts and be on time. Make sure to have some face time with your TLs, ETLs, and STL, but not so much that they get the feeling that you never do any work lol. Ask questions. Help out new cashiers. When you're running your hangers and returns to guest service and there happens to be a line, offer to jump on a register at the service desk to help out.

Nothing at Target is just given to you. Don't get all bent out of shape over anything. You're still "new" to the place. Just keep in mind, leaders in your store (and at most places in general) aren't looking to promote the best cashier, the best backstocker, the best softlines zoner, etc. If "best at such and such task" is the only qualification for TL, many times you will get stuck with an ineffective leader who struggles and is bad for the store. They are looking for people who have leadership qualities...sets personal goals and meets them, is a positive influence on the people around them, can talk with people from diverse backgrounds, isn't afraid to get their hands dirty, acknowledges wins, always learning and sharing that knowledge, anticipates obstacles and makes plans to eliminate them...the list goes on and on.

So definitely be the best at your job, but also be someone who makes other people better at their job (or at least want to be better at their job), celebrate successes in the store, ask questions, be consistent, and get in a little face time with your bosses.

Might as well update this thread o' mine, in case anyone is still following my tragic and woeful tale of being under-appreciated.

The new GSTL they hired is already quitting, and it looks like they want to promote the cashier they sometimes give GSA shifts even though she 1) never asked for the position and 2) groans about being scheduled as a GSA whenever it happens. ETL-GE says she'll see about getting me a GSA shift "here and there," but it looks like the actual position will be going to the girl. Fun stuff.

I must say I have felt the same way. I am leaving after 2 years and I never got looked at for GSA even though I felt I should have. It dose not bother me now but it dose seem like the dumb asses keep getting promoted and the people who really know the front end don't. It seems like its a company wide thing.

I must say I have felt the same way. I am leaving after 2 years and I never got looked at for GSA even though I felt I should have. It dose not bother me now but it dose seem like the dumb asses keep getting promoted and the people who really know the front end don't. It seems like its a company wide thing.

Dunno, at my store it's more that there are no front-end promotions.

In 19 months we've had 2 promogtions at the front-end, a GSA to SBTL, and a cashier to GSA. We hired a GSTL, and 2 GSA's though. The GSA that got promoted to SBTL had worked here for 8 years beforehand.

My ETL-GE says the cashier she's looking to promote to GSA "hasn't been interviewed yet" (keyword: yet), so I don't know what that means. I'm assuming their intention is to interview her and she's just dangling the "maybe we'll interview you!" carrot in my face. I wonder if the position is available and whether I could apply for it on eHR.

Typically internal non-team lead interviewable positions are already "guaranteed" to team members, and the interview is just a formal process. Leaders will already know who they want for GSA or PA positions. If you really want to promote from within, look up the front end "Walk the Vibe" and start taking steps to address opportunity areas that typically get scored "No". That'll be a good first step.

My ETL-GE says the cashier she's looking to promote to GSA "hasn't been interviewed yet" (keyword: yet), so I don't know what that means. I'm assuming their intention is to interview her and she's just dangling the "maybe we'll interview you!" carrot in my face. I wonder if the position is available and whether I could apply for it on eHR.
The best advice is to start looking for a new job. If you don't like Target now, you're never gonna like it. Promotions at Target are an endless stream of dangling a carrot on a stick. Coming in as a team member already means your long term prospects are pretty much limited to Sr. team lead. It ain't worth waiting around for, the job market is quickly turning around so capitalize on it and find a better job.

Your etl-ge is giving out way to much info to a tm. That kind of talk is what causes hostility between TM's
If there is an opening, I believe it has to be posted on the board for two weeks. At least that's the way it's done where I am, even if they have someone in mind for it.

We don't do that for sure,. No opening was posted at all before they scheduled me GSA Training shifts, no interviews either.

We don't do that for sure,. No opening was posted at all before they scheduled me GSA Training shifts, no interviews either.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my store hasn't listed the GSA position as "available" on the eHR internal application site, even when we were actively searching for new GSAs to hire. They choose who they want and that's all there is to it.

At the very least, the ETL-GE could post the position on eHR so everyone who wants to apply gets a fair shake at it. At least pretend you're not playing favorites.

Our store is weird. Some people sugarcoat and tell you want to hear, others are blunt.

We had two people apply for GSA in the past year or two, one was told by ETL-HR that she'd be a great fit, and she thought ETL-HR wanted her to become a GSA, maybe ETL-HR really did; just no one else did, but either way they never printed her a learning plan, GSTL never mentioned her having any chance of becoming GSA, and she's never been scheduled any such shifts. Seems in her case she just got a sugarcoated response to appease her with no plans for action.

Then we had another lady apply, twice, and get told that "We don't want to set you up for failure.". That's definitely not sigarcoated, that's just a verbal slap in the face.

How do I stand out from the other cashiers, though? What are some things I can do to put on a show for my leaders to improve their perception of me?
really common sense. show up for your schedules. that's all that's needed. if you can't give back change or need me to hold your hand through simple issues, you're not able.

the best is you don't know how but figured out on your own.

How do I stand out from the other cashiers, though? What are some things I can do to put on a show for my leaders to improve their perception of me?
really common sense. show up for your schedules. that's all that's needed. if you can't give back change or need me to hold your hand through simple issues, you're not able.

That certainly isn't enough to get one promoted at my store, I doubt it is at his either. It's sadly much harder to be promoted at my store if you're good at your current job than it would be to get hired in externally.

That certainly isn't enough to get one promoted at my store, I doubt it is at his either. It's sadly much harder to be promoted at my store if you're good at your current job than it would be to get hired in externally.

Yep. My store is very bad at promoting from within. The vast majority of our TLs were hired externally. The few who are promoted internally may as well be married to the ETLs. Basically it's a lot of favoritism and butt-kissing, and rarely does it have anything to do with who's best for the job.

I once overheard an LOD tell a GSA to "watch closely" over the cashiers because they're "like children." That's how they think of their lowly TMs.

its not promoted from cashier to team lead, but that's really impossible. that's good for putting people at service desk with 0 experience. now etl's/stl know you. you're not the seasonal cashier but someone who love working with you.

now pick any other salesfloor position, its really hard. you can be awesome at hardlines, learn everything there is to do. i'm on a faster track than someone knows more than me. he's ok doing anything they ask. i took my position as a step in the door.

So I have another update. I spoke to the STL and he basically said he would talk to my ETL-GE about it a little more to see about my development as a GSA, and that he likes to give everyone a "fair shot." Obviously not him jumping out of his seat ready to key me into the system or anything but I feel it's either one step closer or two steps back. If he follows on his word and this GE considers promoting me, then it won't have been a waste of my time speaking with him. We'll just have to see, I s'pose.

My store is notorious for passing up internals for promotions and especially internals looking to transfer to other stores for promotions.

Former GSTL here, hopefully I can give you some ideas on what I'd be impressed with from a cashier.

First of all, you need to demonstrate that you are able to contribute to business results objectively. There are two ways of doing this: Red cards and guest surveys. With red cards you should be getting 1 for every 4 hour shift at a minimum (the goal to really be nailing it is 1 an hour). Guest surveys are trickier. You need to be pointing out the survey to every guest. Really sell the benefits of filling it out for the guest like the chance at winning a gift card. Along with this you want to be creating a great experience while you're checking guests out. Smile, be friendly and joke with them. If an issue arises be attentive and try to resolve it yourself. Do what's best for the guest! The goal here is to get positive guest comments about you on the survey report. It's very do-able and gets you noticed by the executive leaders. I mention these as they are metrics which GSTLs are graded on that you can directly influence.

Secondly, take the initiative to be valuable whenever you can. What are you doing in your down time? Are you cleaning the front end? Are you branding nearby areas? Are you re-stocking supplies? Are you pushing product to the check lanes if there's a pull? Are you asking to do re-shop? Are you asking to do re-packaging? Are there items that need to be taken to reverse logistics? There's tons of stuff to do and you should be taking it upon yourself to get them done.

If you're nailing all of these things I don't see why they wouldn't be looking at you for GSA. Even so, ask for feedback from your leaders. Ask them what your personal wins and opportunities are. That's going to force them to take a serious look at you and help you with your development. Remember the goal here isn't to be doing what's expected of you. If you want to be promoted you need to be going above and beyond.

Hope this was helpful, good luck!

My ETL is giving me GSA shifts here and there now. I have 3/5 shifts as GSA this week, and one next week. When she is LOD this week and I am closing GSA, I will ask her how I can apply/be interviewed for the position, one final time.

When I interviewed for GSA I felt the ETL-GE was just using it as an excuse to talk down to me. but I did use her criticisms of me to help work on myself. She even said at the end when I knew I would not get it "don't think I do not notice all the extra stuff you do for the front end" So yea... it is frustrating but since I plan to leave anyway now I want to leave on good terms and get a good recommendation from them.

@Forhyre I think asking your LOD is useless, she no longer has any say I am sure since she's already put in notice that she's quitting.

When I interviewed for GSA I felt the ETL-GE was just using it as an excuse to talk down to me. but I did use her criticisms of me to help work on myself. She even said at the end when I knew I would not get it "don't think I do not notice all the extra stuff you do for the front end" So yea... it is frustrating but since I plan to leave anyway now I want to leave on good terms and get a good recommendation from them.

They don't do recommendations just confirmations of dates worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back