Archived When do stores close for weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLN13

Hardlines TM
I know there’s a number to call to see if my store is closed, I’m not worried about that, I’m just wondering what usually constitutes a closing? My store has a blizzard warning with 18 inches of snow expected and national Weather Service is advising absolutely no travel yet we’re open? Just wondering if stores actually ever close..

Depends on weather event. At my store, we are told to call the store. I have at least phone numbers of my mgt, so I can contact them.

Depends on weather event. At my store, we are told to call the store. I have at least phone numbers of my mgt, so I can contact them.
I just genuinely wonder what would be enough to close the store if this isn’t.

I think we're in a 4-6 inch zone now. I work at 6am tomorrow but if conditions don't really clear up I might call in tonight or tomorrow around 4am. Really sucks because it an 8 hour shift and I hate having days off in between long periods of work. I had today off today and I already am like "ughh I slept in til 10am and that fucks up my schedule." because I work 6am-7am obviously.

my biggest concern is the ice on the roads, we have a quarter inch of ice on the roads and plows were called off from their routes until conditions clear. I've seen my neighbors spinning out backing out of their driveway, it's bad.

Guess we'll see.

Never seen it. My store was only closed for a couple of hours when Sandy hit lol so I just assume the store is always open.

I think we're in a 4-6 inch zone now. I work at 6am tomorrow but if conditions don't really clear up I might call in tonight or tomorrow around 4am. Really sucks because it an 8 hour shift and I hate having days off in between long periods of work. I had today off today and I already am like "ughh I slept in til 10am and that fucks up my schedule." because I work 6am-7am obviously.

my biggest concern is the ice on the roads, we have a quarter inch of ice on the roads and plows were called off from their routes until conditions clear. I've seen my neighbors spinning out backing out of their driveway, it's bad.

Guess we'll see.
Sorry to tell you but a lot more then that. National Weather Service issued a blizzard warning around 2pm for our areas stating around 12 MORE inches of snow overnight.

Sorry to tell you but a lot more then that. National Weather Service issued a blizzard warning around 2pm for our areas stating around 12 MORE inches of snow overnight.

I know lmao I looked at the forecast shortly after and it was 3-5" during the day, and then another 5-8 inches over night.

I'm so torn between if I want to go to work tomorrow, or not. There's stuff I'd be doing at work if I went, but just the roads are stupid and there aren't any plows out until conditions clear, which will probably be late morning tomorrow when they can put out plows.

My store has only closed when it was announced that the roads would be closed (so plows could do their thing) and public transport gets shut down. I mean they really don't care if most of the store calls out either. Since they won't make sales anyways, it's better to keep those hours I guess. If you don't feel safe commuting, call out.

Who the hell knows. I always have to risk my life driving to work when the weather is like shit and I know the store will be a ghostown that day. Don't want to be written up for calling off and at the same time I need my $$

A bunch of businesses on the (not small) road my store is on have closed, but none of the big chains. There have finally been a couple of plows by, so people seem to be navigating it better than earlier today, and I think most of the snow is being blown off the road, so there's that.

So, so glad I wasn't scheduled today, and someone picked up the shift a coworker asked me if I'd take (I would have taken it, but someone picked it up first. Yay!).

We had three big snowstorms with lots of power outages and trees down this year. I was literally one of the only in the entire store for all three of those days. Even in a state of emergency, we didn’t close and with all the surrounding stores and mall being closed we stayed open.

Hopefully your store is like mine and is cool with the call outs. I wasn’t expecting it, but I was surprised by how proactive they were. Personally thanking people who came in, offering to let anyone leave early if they felt unsafe, and understanding each call out. But please just be safe! Safety is #1!!!!!

I'm in a hurricane area and mine only closed while countywide curfews were in effect and opened as soon as the curfews lifted. They did give us paperwork with permission to drive despite the curfew because of some state ordinance about us providing essential emergency goods or something but thankfully closed, I mean bruh I have to drive 15 miles through flood-prone country roads to get to work and we'd long sold out of bread and batteries anyway. I'd just have called out.

It can happen. Earlier today, I was/still in an affected hurricane zone, which a tornado was possible. We experienced heavy wind and rain. Store had to evacuate to the nearest designated area. The store didn't open until 11 am.

They'll close when the city/state forces them to. Just call out if you're that worried, you won't be alone.

Naw, I’m not worried. I live like 5 mins from my store. I just like genuinely wonder what constitutes a store closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back