Archived When jokes go wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm often seen as a bit of a quiet type these days. I do that by choice because I don't like the way I get treated at the job sometimes. There are times where I break out from my shell and join in a few jokes. Apparently this one went wrong.

Team member put up a video of herself dancing. I made a comment on Facebook about the team member and another team member having a dance-off (this was a joke that first appeared in a huddle started by a TL). I come in Saturday and apparently someone showed her the video and showed her my comment.

Apparently she doesn't want her name mentioned ever. Even on Facebook. This person however has a habit of talking mess about alot of folks (me included) but somehow doesn't like it when I do it. I don't understand it. Some TM suggested because I am on the outside that I am not allowed to joke on others.

I take responsibility for the matter since I know there's a faction of my shift that is crazy like this.

Have you ever had a joke go wrong like that.

Just don't be friends with coworkers on social media unless you know them well enough. It always winds up going awry.

Not only that, be cautious of what you tweet or put as a status update. Don't call in sick then have a status about the great time you had last night.

I cant tell you how many times people come to me and say.. "you know so and so posted this on fb and then they called off" ugh theres a reason im not friends with most co-workers on fb.. i dont care about what you are doing ... as for the joke.. you just have to know your audience.. even the smallest thing can make someone mad.. i made a small comment at a tl meeting one and a peer got up and walked out crying.. once i realized why i felt terrible and apologized and never make fun of that type of thing again.... i learned my lesson the hard way

At our store, management has made it clear they don't care what is posted on Facebook unless it has to do with a threat against the store or its team members. Team members have posted on Facebook stating that they were calling in sick because they couldn't get somebody to cover their shift. Management has said they can't do anything despite knowing what's being posted. There is a secret Facebook group for our store and while management is aware what is being posted, they have also said they won't act unless the conduct in the group or on social media is criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back