Archived When to punch out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrou98

Because of YOU
I've been a cashier for 3 years and now I'm in hardlines...yay! Anyway, when I was cashier and my shift would be for example 12-5:00, I would work at the register until 5:00 and then punch out. Tonight my shift ended at 10:15 but at 10:10 I was scolded by a fellow team member. She said I'm not supposed to actually work until 10:15 because I should leave a few extra minutes for putting equipment away, etc...it does not take me 5 minutes to do this and I'm annoyed at her for raising her voice at me like that. I guess she is bossy to everyone but can someone tell me what's correct?

A lot of it depends on your store. Some are like SitSpot's and some are more like mine and redeye's where ideally you would probably clock out at 10:15, but it's not a big deal if you are a few minutes over. I'm a TL and I never make it out right on time so I definitely don't micromanage my team like that (as long as they're not hitting compliance, or going outrageously over without talking to LOD). I wouldn't be worried if my TM went 5 minutes over. You could start walking to the equipment lockup 5 minutes before and get caught with a guest for 15 minutes so it's hard to be super exact about when to start preparing to leave.

It kinda depends how badly we wanna leave or if we're in the middle of something. Most people go a few over and no one really makes a big fuss about it. Electronics ALWAYS goes over because we have no overlap and we need to sign in/out keys and explain what's going on and it can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes (including the walk across the store and up the stairs to tsc).

eh it's not a huge deal honestly. normally if we're in the back of the store say electronics or seasonal, we would go 5 minutes before our time in case we get stopped by guests on our way to the front, but that's normally only if you actually care about leaving on time.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input....I'm coming on my 4th anniversary and 5 minutes over was never an issue at my store. I think my fellow TM likes to micromanage...she's a nice lady but likes to use her "outside" voice in the store. Until I hear different from higher up, I won't change my ways.
On a side note, whenever a guest asks her if we have an item and the location, she always says we're out (won't use her Mydevice or ask the team over the walkie) no matter what the item may be. If he guest does find the item, she replies that she misunderstood or acts surprised that we have it in stock! She doesn't want to be bothered locating an item or going in the backroom (those were her words). I doubt this is normal hardlines behavior but correct me if I'm wrong!

Definitely depends on your store. I have clocked out 2 hours late before, and I've clocked out an hour early before. Sometimes a half hour late or early. I've worked at Target for 18 months and have never had an issue or anything said to me.

Bring it up to your TLs attention. Clocking out 5 minutes early is not significant as long as you have completed your tasks and communicated you are leaving. If you work close to 40, then its advised to clock out early.

Plus a TM can advise you what is procedure is. They can't coach you.

Thanks everyone for your input....I'm coming on my 4th anniversary and 5 minutes over was never an issue at my store. I think my fellow TM likes to micromanage...she's a nice lady but likes to use her "outside" voice in the store. Until I hear different from higher up, I won't change my ways.
On a side note, whenever a guest asks her if we have an item and the location, she always says we're out (won't use her Mydevice or ask the team over the walkie) no matter what the item may be. If he guest does find the item, she replies that she misunderstood or acts surprised that we have it in stock! She doesn't want to be bothered locating an item or going in the backroom (those were her words). I doubt this is normal hardlines behavior but correct me if I'm wrong!
That is horrible procedure. She could at least ask the team on the Walkie or if it's not busy I just pull out my phone with the target app.

Definitely depends on your store. I have clocked out 2 hours late before, and I've clocked out an hour early before. Sometimes a half hour late or early. I've worked at Target for 18 months and have never had an issue or anything said to me.

This is definitely ASANTs.

My old store managed time to the minute meaning you don't clock in until 1, not 1255 even though the system let's you. People adding time to their shift adds up. It's the difference between being able to call a person in on a busy Saturday.

Always good to get feedback from your leaders

When you are a cashier it is incredibly hard to leave on your scheduled time as you turn off you light a couple mins before and finish with that guest yet there is always the ones that just stroll in without blinking an eye lid at the off light

When you are a cashier it is incredibly hard to leave on your scheduled time as you turn off you light a couple mins before and finish with that guest yet there is always the ones that just stroll in without blinking an eye lid at the off light
Yeah. If there's somewhere I'd rather be (ie I am about to back up GS or cover SCO) I will tell them my lane is closed. Otherwise I'll let it slide if it's just like one item.

Honesty the amount of guests that go to a lane that is closed on unreal like we need a way to cut people off lol like sometimes the GSA stands infront of the lane to stop people... also I left 20 mins late yesterday as people don't come back from their breaks after 15 mins

I used to stand in front of the lane & send guests elsewhere.
If someone left a cart, I'd turn it sideways in front of the lane.
The cashiers loved it when I'd keep guests away before turning to them & saying "RUN!"

It was probably a problem because if you work 6 hrs and don't take a lunch it's a meal violation.

ASANTS.... in my state it's 5 hrs. You have to take your lunch before your fifth or you hit compliance. So it really depends on what state you're in. ;)

I used to stand in front of the lane & send guests elsewhere.
If someone left a cart, I'd turn it sideways in front of the lane.
The cashiers loved it when I'd keep guests away before turning to them & saying "RUN!"
I'm not even GSA but if i'm watching self checkout and I see a cashier trying to get out I will block off their lane for them and direct guests to another/self checkout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back