Who can fire you?

My question is: who at the store has the authority to fire you? There is an ETL that hates me and I'm sure they would like to see me go.
But as far as I know the STL has no problem with me. So if the ETL wanted to fire me, could they? Or is it up to the STL?
How does the firing process work? When someone gets fired do all the management have a meeting to decide if the person should get fired or not,
or does one person just decide it on their own?

Last edited:
From what I know that ETL-HR has to be involved, send the info to the HRBP to get the ok for the termination (or even a write-up) then when all is said and done, the ETL-HR pulls u in the office and does the termination.

Unless they have a 'slam-dunk' reason (ie: theft, assaulting a guest), there's a series of steps & protocol that has to be followed.
Most often, it's performance-based; usually your TL or ETL may begin by coaching you on something performance-related (attendance, punctuality, work habits, etc). If there's no change/improvement, you can be put on corrective action (documented order for improvement) which can be 3 mos* (1st CA) or 6 mos* (2nd CA).
If still no improvement, you can be put on final (1 yr) *which means that any lapse in performance during that time can result in terminimation*.
It's usually carried out by the ETL-HR.
This is just rough sketch. I'm sure TLs & ETLs on here can supply more detail.

So are you saying HR has the final authority, if the ETL wanted to fire you but HR did not, then HR could overrule the ETL?
What about the STL, do they have any input at all?

Last edited:
its a process. they cant fire you just because they dont like you, lets say you get writen up, constantly coached, no call no shows, poor work, then i guess those would be reasons to fire you.

watch out for shady business though, theres always those sketchy ETLs who try to get you in trouble.

also, if you are under 90 days then i think they could let you go. if this ETL is giving you problems then talk to HR

Definitely talk to HR. If you think he is "out to get you" then it needs to be documented. If you don't feel comfortable talking to HR, then talk to someone higher up that you are comfortable.

I think the ETL-HR has to be involved in terminations, and if there was a conflict of interest between the ETL-HR and the ETL of that area, they would probably consult the STL/HRBP.

You can always talk to your ETL-HR/STL with concerns!

The ETL-HR more than likely will not block another ETL's attempt to term a TM unless they really think it's motivated by dislike of the TM. Otherwise, they let that ETL manage their own workcenter the way they see fit, as long as its by the board.

I hate to be the one that says this, but if there is no paper trail, they can and will create one. While I may get disagreements over this, I have worked many jobs in my careers, and have many fellow team-mates let go for no other reason as they weren't liked. But come unemployment time, the paper trail IS there. Hell, I probably have some sort of record at Target, while not known to me, for non-conformist to their way of doing things. While I am generally well respected, and admired I believe, it's that attitude, or another that can get ONE person after you, and documenting your behavior, or some other behavior.

Who knows, maybe it's paranoia, but damned if I hadn't seen it before.

This isn't necessarily a bulls-eye on Target, but any company out there.

Definitely talk to HR. If you think he is "out to get you" then it needs to be documented. If you don't feel comfortable talking to HR, then talk to someone higher up that you are comfortable.

Yes I do think this ETL is out to get me. They chew me out about something stupid about twice a week, always in a really hateful tone of voice (of course thats only when there are no other TM's around to hear it....on the walkie or when there are other people around of course this person is really nice to me!!) They play around with my schedule and cut my hours just to aggravate me. They skip over my TL and try to micro-manage me all day. They havent written me up on paper yet, just generally giving me nasty looks when no one else is around, giving me a hard time about anything they can think of at the moment. I think they are just trying to make me mad so I will quit but I'm not falling for that! But if they dont have the authority to fire me then I won't worry about it so much, I will just wait it out and hopefully they will be gone soon!

Last edited:
Unless they have a 'slam-dunk' reason (ie: theft, assaulting a guest), there's a series of steps & protocol that has to be followed.
Most often, it's performance-based; usually your TL or ETL may begin by coaching you on something performance-related (attendance, punctuality, work habits, etc). If there's no change/improvement, you can be put on corrective action (documented order for improvement) which can be 3 mos* (1st CA) or 6 mos* (2nd CA).
If still no improvement, you can be put on final (1 yr) *which means that any lapse in performance during that time can result in terminimation*.
It's usually carried out by the ETL-HR.
This is just rough sketch. I'm sure TLs & ETLs on here can supply more detail.

First CCA (counseling) 6 month critical period; final CCA is 1 year critical period...do it again within that time moves to next corrective action (counseling moves to final, final to termination) (after a 30 day "learning period")

Thanks to all who answered! I waited it out till the offending etl was gone, retired a few years later and all is well! Enjoying my pension and 401k and social security! In the over 30 years I worked there and hundreds or thousands of team members I worked with, there were only 3-4 people that I can truly say I hated, i waited them all out!! In general, fond memories of Target, I still shop there all the time!

Thanks to all who answered! I waited it out till the offending etl was gone, retired a few years later and all is well! Enjoying my pension and 401k and social security! In the over 30 years I worked there and hundreds or thousands of team members I worked with, there were only 3-4 people that I can truly say I hated, i waited them all out!! In general, fond memories of Target, I still shop there all the time!
Thank you so much for sharing this. May your years ahead be healthy and filled with more joys than sorrows. :D

Back