Archived Who is getting through the zone??

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have HBA returns that keep piling up because the LODs just tell the hardlines team to get done zoning and save returns for last...which end up getting left because we have to get out the door due to payroll. We're up to three carts now of cosmetics and HBA/pharmacy. It's getting ridiculous.

I'm reading through this and I feel like my store is really lucky.
I work at a B-Volume Supertarget

For closing normally we have
2 HL (1 during rough weeks)
2 SL (1 during rough weeks)
2 Dry Grocery zoners
1 Operator
1 Frozen/Dairy zoner
1 Electronics TM
1 Produce person
1 Meat TM
1 CAF pusher

My store isn't nearly your size, but in general our closing team is:

Electronics TM, Operator, LOD and if we are lucky TLOD. On top of that the closing GSTL/GSA is expected to zone, but with only one cashier on most nights that is impossible.
Sounds like my store. Last night it was myself, the electronics team member, the operator, the STL, and a softlines team member until 7pm. I did not come until 4:15pm and spent most of time working out clearance. Then I took my 15 minute break before starting a zone in market. Looked, as though it had not been zoned in several days, so I only got about 1/2 way though before clocking out, so I would not be in trouble for not lunch.

We basically can't zone lately. Last night we did $55k and we had one cashier, one TM in electronics, one in hardlines, one in softlines, and one at guest service. I (the cashier) zoned the checklane endcaps and I'm assuming the girl in electronics zoned part of electronics and toys, but the two salesfloor girls had to push CAFs and back up cash all night. We leave right at close, so there was no chance to zone after closing.

My 2:30-7 Market shift went really well tonight. Opener didnt do milk so I had to push 100+ gallons to the floor. Got through most of the zone but still had G-18-29 or something left. LOD also told me to take down the signing as I zoned so that took up a bit of time as well. 4 1/2 hours for a closing market shift with no overlap by yourself and hardly anyone is on the floor sucks. I help more people outside of market than I do in market.

I'd almost prefer that to our current setup where the closer is usually there until 9 (close at 10), but might clock in anywhere from 1-5.5 hours after the opener clocks out. Gotten to the point where dayside backroom is responsible for all CAFs after the 11 AM because most of the evening TMs know nothing about pfresh except zoning, and even that is from experience in non-FIFO areas of the store.

at my store it doesn't. we had tonight....

TLOD aka me
1 Hardlines Closer
2 Hardlines Mids till 8:30
1 Softlines Closer
1 Fitting Room Closer
1 Electronics Closer
1 Market Closer

And One Cashier. All my closers left at 10 right on the dot. We BARELY got the zone done. The etl's had to jump into to toys and consumables to help finish. the consumables zone was finished by me and the etl's 20 minutes after we let the the closers ago. we left stray carts for every department. it was a shit show.

I have to say most of the leaders have been great to help us on the SF. We've had some very rough nights but they have been out on the floor helping. It makes a difference. SrTL/LOL sat in the tmc and played with his phone all night recently. I was so mad. Seriously? The ETLs push CAFs, do backups and help zone but you're going to sit here all night barking orders over the Walkie?

Today and tomorrow, there's only two people scheduled in softlines for the day. Today, me til 3, then a TL til close. Tomorrow, other TL until 4:30, me 4 to close. Luckily, the district (or whatever) is all doing store wide zoning, so they sent the SL people who were scheduled to zone over to SL to get the plethora of reshop done. There's more zoning tomorrow, so in hoping the closing zone won't be too tough to get through.

Zoning? What's that?! People in my store pretend to zone but I can tell you that noone during the day zones and none of the closers even touch the zone. Our store looks like a tornado has ripped through it. And we've only been open for not even a full five months. Even the day after a brand new POG with a perfect zone - the aisle is trashed. There's clearance merch "flexed" (shoved) into the aisle (a non-PTM aisle). It's never flexed with flippy tags and labels. There's re-shop and guest trash everywhere. One TM found a dead rat inside of the dairy bunker when he set the 12-hour POG for the entire aisle a few weeks back. Yeah.... my store is f'ed.

So, the days I'm scheduled to close alone have all been my easiest nights because everyone working during the day feels bad and tries to get more done before leaving, and because my closing nights are the nights my etl is lod and she folds like some sort of folding robot. It's all perfect and she does it so quickly. I just have to clean up my clearance areas tonight. I'm sure I could've gotten it done without her, but I'd be leaving much more reshop for tomorrow.

Edit: I barely did anything tonight. My etl is dope. She did so much. I did backup cashiering, reshop, attempted to keep the fitting room clean (we had a call out), and did table touch ups. I feel bad haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zoning? What's that?! People in my store pretend to zone but I can tell you that noone during the day zones and none of the closers even touch the zone. Our store looks like a tornado has ripped through it. And we've only been open for not even a full five months. Even the day after a brand new POG with a perfect zone - the aisle is trashed. There's clearance merch "flexed" (shoved) into the aisle (a non-PTM aisle). It's never flexed with flippy tags and labels. There's re-shop and guest trash everywhere. One TM found a dead rat inside of the dairy bunker when he set the 12-hour POG for the entire aisle a few weeks back. Yeah.... my store is f'ed.

...Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

O_O. I hope someone brought that up to leadership. That is a SERIOUS SERIOUS SERIOUS!!!!!!!! issue

With MyTime coming out we are expected to have more midday shifts and only one closer in most areas. This is a big change since Target has done recovery at night for a really long time. The stores that are going to execute best will have a flawless MyTime rollout and break the team up during the day. This simply means making sure everyone takes an area during 12-6ish and working all pulls reshop, and keeping it zoned. The single closer at the end of the night would then only need to maintain the zone.

My store's volume is an A++

a typical night of closing consists of:
2 market closers
2 HL closers
1 electronics closer
2 SL closers
the TLOD usually jumps into SL or HL depending on how trashed the zone is.
we also have a baby advisor who works really late mids (1-9 usually)

our logistics process is overnight, but they can't seem to come clean at all! then we're in the process of phasing out C&S and switching to FDC. its been really rough. usually on thursdays (food truck & GM truck) i get stuck pushing in pfresh then backstocking in the coolers. i usually dont get to scan that day.

just wondering if anyone else has a store where they are struggling getting the floor clean before your instocks team comes in?? we recently had a regional visit and it didnt go so well. they said a big opportunity was 4x4 and instocks! i was pissed because if they let us scan then the store wouldnt look like crap!

My store's volume is an A++

a typical night of closing consists of:
2 market closers
2 HL closers
1 electronics closer
2 SL closers
the TLOD usually jumps into SL or HL depending on how trashed the zone is.
we also have a baby advisor who works really late mids (1-9 usually)

our logistics process is overnight, but they can't seem to come clean at all! then we're in the process of phasing out C&S and switching to FDC. its been really rough. usually on thursdays (food truck & GM truck) i get stuck pushing in pfresh then backstocking in the coolers. i usually dont get to scan that day.

just wondering if anyone else has a store where they are struggling getting the floor clean before your instocks team comes in?? we recently had a regional visit and it didnt go so well. they said a big opportunity was 4x4 and instocks! i was pissed because if they let us scan then the store wouldnt look like crap!

We are one less volume than you are. Our logistics process is fine. We take 5-7 GM trucks and 4-5 FDC trucks a week and always come clean by 7am. We have about 14-18 Truck TMs, 4-6 Backroom TMs, and 2 TLs every night. The FDC has a few TMs dedicated to running those trucks and if large the Flow Team will help out.

we sure as hell aren't!!!!!! at store close we had sports, toys, seasonal, mens, shoes and parts of pets and infants left to zone. and the whole team was scheduled to leave at 10. so that left me TLOD the LOD and the GSTL to finish all those areas in a half hour.

Reading all of this I feel better about my situation. Egads -- how do your stores function?!

BTW: I hate shopping for my groceries at Target. Even though our store seems better staffed than what I'm hearing here (usually), I've been bitten on the butt one too may times by purchasing expired dairy, rotten produce, not finding what I want due to insufficient stock, or picking up the wrong product due to poor zoning. I refuse to shop there anymore for groceries.

I can't imagine the general shopping public doesn't feel this frustration...

We spent half the day after putting the ad up yesterday pushing reshop and zoning in HBA/Chem/Pets. They now want the PA's to zone freezers in addition to the produce/meat/dairy areas. We don't get to zoning 90% of the time. Especially lately when we don't even get over to market until 4 or 5 pm and have to do our normal amount of work. And then we leave earlier at night now so that doesn't help either. Just annoyed. Pile on tasks when we can barely even get basic duties done.

The PA's at my store, have to do the cull in Pfresh, zone it up, then zone the freezers, zone paper goods and after that you are expected to fill milk and go help the other TM zone dry grocery.
We are always the last ones to finish the zone. Dry grocery is just horrible... 10 4ft sections... G19-G40 YAY! (sarcasm)

I can't even get to the cleaning like i use to, I dont know when was the last time i was able to do a dairy cart.

Not sure I've ever cleaned a dairy cart. And fairly sure I may be the only one who sweeps and (sometimes) mops the coolers. And even then I'm lucky to get that done once MAYBE twice a week. And adding things to the SDA like I used to? Ha! Only happens now if I'm doing a pull and see something that is going soon. I used to have a day a week where I came in as a mid and just looked at dates. We now keep getting dinged by steritech for expired product on the floor. We can't keep up. We have just transitioned to having everyone come over to Pfresh on truck days & pushing freezer & dairy to get those pallets done in no time. Which leaves produce but that's nothing we aren't used to. I love getting the truck done, it's a beautiful thing. But everything else is now falling apart.

My PAs and I are expected to zone paper through dry grocery nightly. It isn't getting done and we get little help. With only one in hardlines, one in market, and one in electronics...not much zoning is actually getting done. But even when there are several tms in hardlines the PA or whoever is scheduled in market is expected to do all of the G block zone, cafs, and returns. And we take trucks three nights a week, so the market person gets pulled to help with unload. And they usually cover electronics break and/or lunch. That's been the expectation since we remodeled. I think the zone may have gotten completely done once or twice in the past year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back