Archived Who is getting through the zone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

erickanderson44

salesfloorguru
I am at a 4am pfresh 70 million dollar store. With payroll being cut in half for the month of feb, are any comparable stores experiencing issues with zoning the store at night?
How many zoners do you have?
How many hours forecasted into that workcenter?
Do middays help?

I currently have about 2-3 zoners a night and it just isnt getting done.

Any thoughts, ideas, or feedback would help.

Thanks

The only zone we have is a "war zone".

B volume Pfresh closers are: one HL tm, one SL tm, one mkt tm (leaves 2hrs before close), one TL, one ETL. There have been nights when they don't even have a cashier stay till close! And lets not forget the callouts, our ETL spend more time cashiering, pulling CAFs, getting carts than anything else.

$70 mil and 4am? If that's true, then you're fucked. My b volume has 1-2 in hardlines, 1 elec, 1 market that leaves an hour or two early, 2-3 in soft lines, and the operator. Zone doesn't get done. Between backup and getting most of the cafs that dayside didn't work all day pushed, we maybe spend an hour or two zoning the store. It doesn't look great most nights except maybe electronics/toys. No one has ever been able to get through all of market in even a 2-close shift. Most nights the zone looks "passable," but very few aisles are actually zoned to POG.

My store isn't nearly your size, but in general our closing team is:

Electronics TM, Operator, LOD and if we are lucky TLOD. On top of that the closing GSTL/GSA is expected to zone, but with only one cashier on most nights that is impossible.

My store still has an overnight, but it's switching to 4AM. We're one level above an A level store.

Everybody on hardlines and softlines gets around 16 to 20 hours a week.
1 market zoner
1 to 2 midday pushers
3 to 4 hardlines closers
2 to 4 softlines closers
1 electronics closer

Hours have been slashed so bad getting through the zone is barely even a thought. Last Saturday I was the only softlines TM on the floor from 5 PM to 10 PM. Just me and the operator.

We are a B volume as well and our closing team consists of 1 market, 1 electronics (both of which leave at 9), 1 soft lines, and the sales floor TL to zone most of the store alone. During the day we have one in HL, one in SL and one in market and electronics (both come in after 9). The LOD usually pushes the CAFs or the back room team member IF they finish their tasks. It just keeps getting more ridiculous. Last year was bad, but not this bad. Now every schedule is worse than the week before. I don't know how much longer this can go on for before we just start losing the few that we have.

On a good night (like a thurs/fri) we have 2 HL, 1 Market (usually leaves before close), 1 electronics, and 2 SL. A usual Monday is 1 HL, 1 Market, 1 SL, 1 electronics. I've had nights with no softlines, or no market. I can hardly write a schedule anymore with so few hours.

Starting next week our Pfresh coverage is 7 or 7:30AM til 7pm with zero overlap, just a opener and closer. On Monday and Friday truck days the Pfresh opener pretty much has to help out C+S push as well since it wont get done with the number of people and hours given for it.

I haven't been checking lately, but tonight (Saturday) we have
1 elec
1 HL
1 SL
1 operator
W/ 1 HL and 1 SL leaving at 9.

Starting next week our Pfresh coverage is 7 or 7:30AM til 7pm with zero overlap, just a opener and closer. On Monday and Friday truck days the Pfresh opener pretty much has to help out C+S push as well since it wont get done with the number of people and hours given for it.

hmm this is pretty much the norm for our store. We leave 2 pallets of Freezer or Dairy for a smart huddle on the next day and some how it gets done, but backstock seems to sit for days and days. I wish we only got a truck 2 days a week, we get a large truck on Saturday's about 13 to 15 pallets and it is impossible with the amount of guest on the weekend and the truck is always late !!

In SL we have 1 person closing. Everyone else, including fitting room, is gone between 8:30 and 9:30

HL usually has 1 or 2 + 1 electronics person

With no more than two closing cashiers, it's not actually possible to zone all of softlines. HL seems to be better at finishing their zone than we are.

In SL we have 1 person closing. Everyone else, including fitting room, is gone between 8:30 and 9:30

HL usually has 1 or 2 + 1 electronics person

With no more than two closing cashiers, it's not actually possible to zone all of softlines. HL seems to be better at finishing their zone than we are.

If @Hardlinesmaster was at your store, he'd send you some help once his team is done back-up cashing. :D

I wouldn't know how my store is doing on zones lately because I'm rarely there lately. And when I do get scheduled, I'm cashing.

At my store they wont let us go home until the zone is finished. We usually have:
1 SL
1 HL
1 Electronics
1 Fitting Room
And usually only 1 cashier so everybody is always back up cashiering.

we have one/two closers on each side of the floor....operator, electronics and market. Because we have actually had a huge uptick (most days) of sales almost everybody spends half of their 4 hour shift doing backup. As fitting room operator we are to do men's and shoes along with our fitting room duties. I don't know about the other operators but I get a fairly decent zone in those areas and depending on our closer we get ugly to decent zones in every area but jewelry, accessories, sleepwear.

Tonight was a disaster. We got all but Girls' and Infant's clearance cleaned up. Most of the racks looked good. We had two closers, but it was just so bad. And they kept calling for backup, but then we'd get there and at least 5 registers aren't working so then we're scrambling around to find the working ones.

My store doesn't keep us past scheduled time. Usually the latest anyone is scheduled is 30 minutes past closing. My availability doesn't allow for that, because of bus schedules and such.

Last time I I can remember being there for close..around January

1 Electronics TM (Me)
1-2 Softlines (Usually 1)
3-4 Cashiers
1 LOD
1 GSTL or GSA
1 GS
1 Operator
1-2 Hardlines (again usually 1)
1 Market (2 on busy days)
1 Backroom

It depends a lot on how busy the day is etc but for a B volume store with 33M sales...our zone usually gets done in the departments that need it

i closed last night... it was
1 tm till 9pm
me till 11
pfresh -10
electronics - 10
1 sl - 11
1 sl -10
1 cashier - 10
1 gstl
1 lod
1 cart attendant sometimes till 10

i was on backup so much through the night that we had A and B zoned by 9 didnt finish market or domestics and left 6 carts of reshop. sl left reshop but got through their zone.

Last edited:
On a typical night lately we have had:
1 TL
1 GSA/GSTL
2 HL
2 SL
1 Cart attendant til about 10

My store has started making the mid-day zone an all day thing though. Start zoning at noon as a group and just keep going. Problem is lack of cashiers & us being busy means people are constantly up for back up

Last night was the first in a long time that we left carts of reshop at the service desk. We still had 6 more aisles in market to zone and dairy was only half done. I think the only people that actually got their zone done was softlines. They kept us 20 minutes past our scheduled times. I guess it was just as bad Saturday night.

lots of people when I left tonight....heard as I was leaving that we have another visit in the morning. Ridiculous!~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back