Who Picks your Grocery OPU's

In our store, the majority of Grocery OPU's are picked by team members in Market. The Flex Team helps out when needed. We're really struggling with keeping up with our 1 for 1's, morning cull routines, and truck push because of the crush of Grocery OPU's in the past month. I'd honestly prefer to see the hours go to the Fulfillment Team so the Market Team can focus on stocking product and getting outdated consumables QMOS'd out.

Anyone else struggling with this?

Our market team has to do grocery opu only when there is a major demand . Mostly weekends. Also, not everyone in market are trained to do that and they ask only a handful of us to jump in every time . I usually spend one hour on such days for opu .

Flex, sadly. I don't say sadly because I don't think flex should have to, I say sadly because our flex is incapable of doing them without fucking up at an exorbitant rate. I keep repeatedly finding food that should have been in a freezer in a refrigerator instead when pulling drive up orders, and then having to go re-pick the items myself.

Me. Mostly me anymore. It's fulfillment's responsibility and I usually wind up doing the bulk of them. When things get ugly, we'll see if anyone in Market can help out with them. But, we don't want help in groceries very often because other departments don't follow our date restrictions, even our market TMs unfortunately, and since we're a pfresh I can knock out a grocery batch in 10-20 minutes when needed. So we call for backup for regular and I'll peel off and bang out groceries if needed.

Me. Mostly me anymore. It's fulfillment's responsibility and I usually wind up doing the bulk of them. When things get ugly, we'll see if anyone in Market can help out with them. But, we don't want help in groceries very often because other departments don't follow our date restrictions, even our market TMs unfortunately, and since we're a pfresh I can knock out a grocery batch in 10-20 minutes when needed. So we call for backup for regular and I'll peel off and bang out groceries if needed.
What are the date restrictions? I was just told to make sure the item wasn’t expired.

What are the date restrictions? I was just told to make sure the item wasn’t expired.

Oh God! The date restrictions vary by category. I keep a cheat sheet in case anything is close. But, off the top of my head, fresh meat, for example, needs to have at least three days left. By the way that corporate counts it since today is the 16th, you can't pick meat that has a use or freeze by date of the 16th or 17th. Today is one day. Tomorrow is the 2nd day. Wednesday is the 3rd day, so you can pick meat that expires on the 18th if it looks fresh.

Dated veggies are also 3 days. Dairy is 5 days. Bread is 5 days. Dry is 10 days(?). Frozen is 20 days.

Basically, the idea is to give the guest time to consume the item and not assume that everything ordered will necessarily be eaten that day. It causes some INFs, but since our grocery INFs are below 2% for the year, IDGAF about date-based INFs.

Oh God! The date restrictions vary by category. I keep a cheat sheet in case anything is close. But, off the top of my head, fresh meat, for example, needs to have at least three days left. By the way that corporate counts it since today is the 16th, you can't pick meat that has a use or freeze by date of the 16th or 17th. Today is one day. Tomorrow is the 2nd day. Wednesday is the 3rd day, so you can pick meat that expires on the 18th if it looks fresh.

Dated veggies are also 3 days. Dairy is 5 days. Bread is 5 days. Dry is 10 days(?). Frozen is 20 days.

Basically, the idea is to give the guest time to consume the item and not assume that everything ordered will necessarily be eaten that day. It causes some INFs, but since our grocery INFs are below 2% for the year, IDGAF about date-based INFs.
I love my store. 🙄 I learn more here than I do there. Thank you! I’m going to screen shot this so I have it in my phone.

Fullfillment does it, they have some TMs who primarily do the grocery orders. If they need more people they will often get someone from grocery.

Fullfillment picks at ours. We have a dedicated person then the rest of the team jumps in to help when needed, like every day for the past two weeks.

Also, if an item has to be returned to stock, it allows the item to have a chance to be sold from the shelf. Go into Work bench to find the guidelines.

Never heard all that before. Somebody should train the Flex team on this (if it's important to leadership, which obviously it isn't). I just don't pick anything with the $1, $3, $5 off stickers, or anything expiring today.

I mean everyone should know this because they should of had them take the grocery opu training, but i feel like no one actually reads any of that stuff either because they expect us to just take 15 minutes and get back to work.

I mean everyone should know this because they should of had them take the grocery opu training, but i feel like no one actually reads any of that stuff either because they expect us to just take 15 minutes and get back to work.
Oh. I took it. If it was in there, I definitely don't remember it. Along with which things can't be bagged together.

Looks like we have pickers from both Flex and Market. Thanks everyone for your responses and discussion.

What a great idea about the product picking guide expiration dates. Think I'll do that as well.

Our Front End ETL laminated some notes for bagging instructions and posted them in our packing area. Useful stuff like putting eggs in their own bag, only 1 gallon of milk per bag, put bread on top, don't pack canned goods on top of fruit and veggies, etc. All common sense stuff that we all should be doing when helping out on the lanes anyway.

I suspect volumes will only increase from here as Covid gets worse and more people try to avoid in person shopping.

And please don’t put chemicals in the same bag a food.

Your store should have received posters for the OPU packing stations that have the rules printed on them. Chem should not be bagged with anything else, especially not food obviously. If your store is having problems with improper bagging in OPUs, talk to your TL about putting the posters up.

Your store should have received posters for the OPU packing stations that have the rules printed on them. Chem should not be bagged with anything else, especially not food obviously. If your store is having problems with improper bagging in OPUs, talk to your TL about putting the posters up.
Wait...OPU packing stations? Like designated areas where fulfillment bags OPU and DU orders? Am I the only one who wants to visit all the Targets in my area and observe how they do things because I am pretty sure people at my store go out of their to be inefficient.

Back