Who recently quit at your store?

Just learned our STL quit last week. Turnover has always been bad at Spot for various reasons, Modernization has just kicked it into overdrive. Whether corporate cares or anticipated this who knows.....

Oh I believe they knew it would happen, it is a backdoor layoff. They clear out all the older slower employees, all the disabled employees are basically told "Sorry this is what is required, if you can't do it, there is the door." Saving a bombload of cash by getting rid of anyone with benefits, and even with the $15 minimum coming in they will still save money. They are also cutting to find out just how slim they can staff and still have a halfway working store.

They don't give a fuck about the employee, the guest who doesn't know. They see empty shelves and blame us for not doing our jobs. We get the blame when their check out isn't as fast as Target has trained them over the last 25 years(time I can personally vouch for) that they shouldn't have to wait at check out and now they do and are pissed. I hear it all day long "Where are all your cashiers?" Cause I see and talk to a lot of guests walking around picking all day.

"Where are all your cashiers?"

Yeah, I get asked about this a few times a week. However, I'm not making any excuses for corporate's lack of hours or leadership's poor scheduling anymore.....I just really don't care. I tell the guest that they're probably at home because this is all that was scheduled for this morning/afternoon/evening. Period.

Yeah, I get asked about this a few times a week. However, I'm not making any excuses for corporate's lack of hours or leadership's poor scheduling anymore.....I just really don't care. I tell the guest that they're probably at home because this is all that was scheduled for this morning/afternoon/evening. Period.

Oh trust me I spill it, tell them to complain on twitter, FB or Insta but telling anyone in this building is pointless cause we know but aren't given any people, to fix the problem and upper management doesn't give a shit. They only care when its made public.

I had an person interview 2 weeks ago, a phone interview last week, and another phone interview next week. As soon as I get a full time position I'll be turning in my notice. In the past 3 weeks we've lost 2 inbound TMs and I overheard one of our OPU/SFS TMs say she's leaving in July for school. Also overheard that a TM got injured last week or early this week and not enough time to get coverage to full schedule before My Time went down

One of our GSTLs (we were over headcount, so no promotions). We STILL haven’t moved to the new business model. This has forced their hand, though. They’ll have to get on with it now. I’m the only “GSA” left and under current conditions, the remaining three of us who run the front would constantly be in OT.

Last edited:
I was thinking we hadn't lost too many, but after two yesterday, I realized we did. Lost a good electronics person and one of our strongest sfs people no longer works at Target because of "an incident." I'll find out more about that later I'm sure.

Since January/February I'd say we've lost 30-50 team members. They have either quit because of the constant disrespect from the store leader, hours, or because of the working conditions.
What's funny is the store leader is happy about it. I've been told by other team members that she was giddy when they quit. It's very strange corporate isn't doing anything about it. When you loose such a large amount of staff isn't there generally an investigation? I've seen half of my team in tears.

Since January/February I'd say we've lost 30-50 team members. They have either quit because of the constant disrespect from the store leader, hours, or because of the working conditions.
What's funny is the store leader is happy about it. I've been told by other team members that she was giddy when they quit. It's very strange corporate isn't doing anything about it. When you loose such a large amount of staff isn't there generally an investigation? I've seen half of my team in tears.
I think giddy because SD is getting what she was told to make happen: freshen team of those that know the OLD way so you can train the new way from the get-go, those that don’t know any other way. Turnover of old tm is a feather in the SD cap.
Experience be damned because your experience of an obsolete process is just that - obsolete. Means nothing to know what doesn’t matter to know.
The very reason new hires are getting paid the same as those with 4 yrs experience - that experience is not valuable. Process is equally new to all.

Backdoor layoff.

Oh I believe they knew it would happen, it is a backdoor layoff. They clear out all the older slower employees, all the disabled employees are basically told "Sorry this is what is required, if you can't do it, there is the door." Saving a bombload of cash by getting rid of anyone with benefits, and even with the $15 minimum coming in they will still save money. They are also cutting to find out just how slim they can staff and still have a halfway working store.

They don't give a fuck about the employee, the guest who doesn't know. They see empty shelves and blame us for not doing our jobs. We get the blame when their check out isn't as fast as Target has trained them over the last 25 years(time I can personally vouch for) that they shouldn't have to wait at check out and now they do and are pissed. I hear it all day long "Where are all your cashiers?" Cause I see and talk to a lot of guests walking around picking all day.
Targets mentality is "No need for more cashier's on the schedule, just call for back up and interrupt others from their own work when needed and save us the cash."

Does Target still require additional backup cashier's when there are more than two people waiting on each open lane? They did when I was working there.

Does Target still require additional backup cashier's when there are more than two people waiting on each open lane? They did when I was working there.
I have no idea what Target's actual policy is. I just follow the lead of my SETLs (that we still call GSTLs). Depends how many items the guests have. One TL sends them to SCO or uses MyCheckout and the other grabs a guest and hops on a lane.

We typically let the line get bigger than the old 1+1 rule.

People are dropping like flies at my store. Morale is so low it’s depressing. I feel like all my hard work and all the pride I take in my area is for nothing. It’s starting to affect me and I hate it. 😣

I’m right there with you. I used to take so much pride in my work and push myself to do as much as I could, but leadership doesn’t notice when I go above and beyond vs when I do the bare minimum so honestly who cares at this point.

Also just found out our closing TL quit without notice

Our etl on the floor gave a bull crap speech about us being the only store in our district failing mod. Told us we didnt know how to hokd our selves to higher standarda because we were never taught how a business really works. Three inbound walked after that bull crap. Apparently our cloaing tl also dropped her 2wk as well. Way to motivated the team ya asahat

My store has almost completely replaced our entire Leadership Team since Modernization started last year. Only three original Leaders/Leads remain, and one is quitting at the end of the month. We've lost our original GM, two APs, two Heads of HR, two PMLs, all but two Leads and all but one Leader. That's not even getting into the literal dozens of regular Team Members that have jumped ship. My department alone has lost all but four original Team Members from more than a year ago.

I’m right there with you. I used to take so much pride in my work and push myself to do as much as I could, but leadership doesn’t notice when I go above and beyond vs when I do the bare minimum so honestly who cares at this point.

Also just found out our closing TL quit without notice

All of this is so true. I work myself into a panic attack daily, I run myself sick, I have literal nightmares about work--and all I get in return is empty words of praise buried in constant micro-managing and rebuke. I got the highest possible score on my review according to my Lead (who is leaving and so has no reason to lie), but who cares? I'm not even getting a full quarter more than some kid off the street who has never had a job. I still don't make enough to have insurance, so I'm constantly sick. No one with any power listens to me or respects my expertise in my department; instead, I get pointless busy work like checking sales and filling out tasks sheets. All that wasted time just to appease the Corporate Overlords. Target doesn't care about me or the guests, and it's crystal clear.

I do my best, every day, because I don't know how not to. And I don't get anything in return but less joy and more stress.

Last edited:
Even during my final week I couldn't not care. The day before my last day I did just do what I was told, no thought into what would make it better, no care for what was undone, and I went home feeling better than I had in months. The night of, I planned for the same mindset. I wasn't assigned to fitting room, no one really was and folks just trashed my fitting room; I spent the last hour or so going EEEEEEEEEEEEE!! because I wasn't allowed to go over and fix it, I had to just watch it get worse and worse as the night went on.

Our etl on the floor gave a bull crap speech about us being the only store in our district failing mod. Told us we didnt know how to hokd our selves to higher standarda because we were never taught how a business really works. Three inbound walked after that bull crap. Apparently our cloaing tl also dropped her 2wk as well. Way to motivated the team ya asahat
Wow, what a great, motivating ETL you have there! No surprise so many of your TMs quit.

I would be happy to hold myself to higher standards like I did when I could spend my entire closing shift super zoning rtw. I went feom getting my zone 100% in 2hrs every night and remerching the dumb shit flow did to barely getting tables folded and the floor picked up :/ I was higher till spot stole the floor from under me.

Back