Archived Why are we open on Labor Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Net

I find myself asking this question on a lot of days, but it's bothering me a bit more today (partially because it also happened to be a rollover shift). Target isn't exactly in the business of life-or-death, why do we still have to come in?

I find myself asking this question on a lot of days, but it's bothering me a bit more today (partially because it also happened to be a rollover shift). Target isn't exactly in the business of life-or-death, why do we still have to come in?

Cause they are fucking busy as fuck cause everyone else has the day off so they use Sunday to party and do the shopping on Monday. I will take my time and a half and go about my day.

Cause they are fucking busy as fuck cause everyone else has the day off so they use Sunday to party and do the shopping on Monday. I will take my time and a half and go about my day.

That's really messed up, though. Everyone else has the day off, so it has to come at our expense? Time and a half for one day, on part-timer's pay, barely goes anywhere, and it's not like I can just turn it down without having it affect my attendance.

holidays are for people with good jobs

This is true, but every Labor Day weekend, I'm in my classroom, prepping for the start of school. So not everyone gets a holiday weekend per se. (And yes, I know that I'm choosing to be in my room. But my mental health dictates it.)

Lots of industries don't have the day off? Medical, IT is on call, all the service industry, etc.

So.... if you had the day off, what would you do with it? Be honest. Go out to eat? Shop? Go to the beach? Likely you would spend the day relying on others working their jobs serving you.

Labor Day doesn’t bother me. Not nearly as much as Thanksgiving or Christmas. I mean, myself and many of us can have an enjoyable Thanksgiving without needing someone to keep a store open.

That's really messed up, though. Everyone else has the day off, so it has to come at our expense? Time and a half for one day, on part-timer's pay, barely goes anywhere, and it's not like I can just turn it down without having it affect my attendance.

most office people have it off I should have said. My husband has the day off. but he is in the office at the house working cause he can actually get shit done. All your police, fire and hospital peeps are working, your aircraft commercial and freight are working. Your water, power and phone/internet people are working. your mail sorters and transport are working, the actual carriers are off today. I know our big vendors will deliver, aka Coke & Pepsi will drop boards today.

and the tow truck drivers are also working to clean up the mess from the idiots who can't drive on a holiday. And the gas station people they never close.

You work in retail and you’re surprised? Every service/retail industry is open on Labor Day.

So.... if you had the day off, what would you do with it? Be honest. Go out to eat? Shop? Go to the beach? Likely you would spend the day relying on others working their jobs serving you.

Labor Day doesn’t bother me. Not nearly as much as Thanksgiving or Christmas. I mean, myself and many of us can have an enjoyable Thanksgiving without needing someone to keep a store open.

Actually, I'd just laze. Same thing I do on most of my days off.

You work in retail and you’re surprised? Every service/retail industry is open on Labor Day.

Not surprised, just not happy about it. I've worked for Target for a few years now, planning to get out very soon.

Those shifts are grabbed fast. No need to work if you prefer not to.

But labor day has always been a big shopping day.

Last edited:
My parents were ranting about this earlier. They said everything (minus hospitals and all that) used to close up on Labor Day.

It's not a holiday I ever want to make plans for. I plan my own vacation time for when the masses don't have off. If I had Labor Day off, I would just spend it at home avoiding people. So I may as well be at work and make some extra money.

Too much whining. If a part-timer is making $12, then they get $18 for every hour today. That's a big bump if you only make $12.
Minimum in CA is $13 at Target. Today, the minimum is $19.50.
I worked a full shift EVERY SINGLE TIME that I could on a holiday when I worked at Target. Same job, different day, get paid 1.5 times. It's a no-brainer.

I get to choose 2 holidays a year at my new job. My co-worker got Labor Day. He will get triple and a half time today. He only makes $25 an hour, but today he gets $87.50 an hour. I worked on Christmas Day and New Years Day last year. Christmas Eve and New Years Eve are not holidays for me. $100 an hour for every hour worked.
So, be a big baby and don't try to get ahead. Do you want to be at minimum forever? Get a side hustle and quit complaining. Geez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back