Archived Why are we open on Labor Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
most office people have it off I should have said. My husband has the day off. but he is in the office at the house working cause he can actually get shit done. All your police, fire and hospital peeps are working, your aircraft commercial and freight are working. Your water, power and phone/internet people are working. your mail sorters and transport are working, the actual carriers are off today. I know our big vendors will deliver, aka Coke & Pepsi will drop boards today.

and the tow truck drivers are also working to clean up the mess from the idiots who can't drive on a holiday. And the gas station people they never close.

All those people perform ESSENTIAL jobs (except the vendors). Retail is not essential and stores can be closed for ONE day.

Was scheduled off today even though I usually work Mondays and had my regular days off during the week messed up. I would rather work all 3 of the summer holidays than anytime during Thanksgiving day or night.

We stopped in a neighboring high volume Target and they were hopping. In a lot of instances this is the last day parents/guardians will have off to get their kids what they will need for the new school year.

All those people perform ESSENTIAL jobs (except the vendors). Retail is not essential and stores can be closed for ONE day.

I’m sure you also complain about other days that the store is open that you don’t get off (Memorial Day, Easter, New Years, Xmas Eve).

I actually signed up to work today as ot (in a dc). They didn’t need me so I waited a minute after shift was to begin so I can bank the vacation time. I’m going to then use that to backfill the time I would have worked (at time and a half) and still bank 4 hrs of vaca.

Still sitting at my desk posting here while the office phone is ringing the other party. Not retail, not essential.

I'd rather work a full day on most holidays and grab that dough. The exceptions are Thanksgiving and Christmas. And Easter, since it's not time and a half. For the rest, sign me up. Unfortunately I am only scheduled for a measly four hours today. :rolleyes:

And a lot of times if you get paid time and a half the taxes taken out are not worth it.
Very cliche. Your gross pay goes into a grand total. If too much was taken out in taxes, you'll get it in a refund. They don't do a daily tax rate.

Same kind of dumb comment that I heard when I won a brand new Ford Expedition. "Yeah, but you have to pay taxes on it." Um yep. I paid taxes on the wholesale value of it. I paid around $6,000 for a fully loaded Expedition.

Too much whining. If a part-timer is making $12, then they get $18 for every hour today. That's a big bump if you only make $12.
Minimum in CA is $13 at Target. Today, the minimum is $19.50.
I worked a full shift EVERY SINGLE TIME that I could on a holiday when I worked at Target. Same job, different day, get paid 1.5 times. It's a no-brainer.

I get to choose 2 holidays a year at my new job. My co-worker got Labor Day. He will get triple and a half time today. He only makes $25 an hour, but today he gets $87.50 an hour. I worked on Christmas Day and New Years Day last year. Christmas Eve and New Years Eve are not holidays for me. $100 an hour for every hour worked.
So, be a big baby and don't try to get ahead. Do you want to be at minimum forever? Get a side hustle and quit complaining. Geez.

To me, holidays are actually supposed to mean something, otherwise they aren't holidays. "Time and a half" isn't a celebration. I don't understand being so attached to your job that your private life and health don't mean anything, so everything just becomes a race to retirement. That's not me being unmotivated, either. I work hard every single day I come in, I never call off. I keep working on my days off; I recently finished a 2-year degree in CS that I'm trying to turn into a new job and a 4-year degree. Meanwhile, I worked all weekend, I worked last night and I work tomorrow. Making 20 bucks an hour instead of getting to relax on freakin' Labor Day doesn't make me happy. If that makes me a baby, so be it.

To me, holidays are actually supposed to mean something, otherwise they aren't holidays. "Time and a half" isn't a celebration. I don't understand being so attached to your job that your private life and health don't mean anything, so everything just becomes a race to retirement. That's not me being unmotivated, either. I work hard every single day I come in, I never call off. I keep working on my days off; I recently finished a 2-year degree in CS that I'm trying to turn into a new job and a 4-year degree. Meanwhile, I worked all weekend, I worked last night and I work tomorrow. Making 20 bucks an hour instead of getting to relax on freakin' Labor Day doesn't make me happy. If that makes me a baby, so be it.
If you aren’t attached to your job, then I would find one that is closed on holidays, like a bank.

You could have always posted your shift to see if someone would have taken it. It’s rare that a shift at time and a half doesn’t get picked up.

What’s worse is the call outs, they screwed over the Team and didn’t give anyone else an opportunity to pick up hours if they wanted them. We were extending just about everyone’s shift who wanted it today and even let a few TMs who got their schedule mixed up and came in get on the clock. At time and a half I stayed every minute I could, and that meant watching literally every salaried position at my store come in after me and leave before me. They all did their 9 hours, but I still did more 😁

You could have always posted your shift to see if someone would have taken it. It’s rare that a shift at time and a half doesn’t get picked up.

What’s worse is the call outs, they screwed over the Team and didn’t give anyone else an opportunity to pick up hours if they wanted them. We were extending just about everyone’s shift who wanted it today and even let a few TMs who got their schedule mixed up and came in get on the clock. At time and a half I stayed every minute I could, and that meant watching literally every salaried position at my store come in after me and leave before me. They all did their 9 hours, but I still did more 😁
Same, lol.

Bottom line, if you work in sales (which includes retail) then expect to work when people play. After all, how can you get them in and agree to part with money if your business hours match their working hours?

At least at Target you have the opportunity to request Labor Day off. My life before Target, I typed legal documents for purchases. Blackout dates were Memorial Day weekend, Fourth of July, and Labor Day weekend. Blackout dates used to also include the entirety of summer but then enough people stayed the 5 years needed to get three vacation weeks so they had to open summers up so people could actually take all their time off.

Oh, and if you have a fender bender on the way home tonight, just remember that Jake at State Farm is also working Labor Day.

I worked today but I haven't been at this job long enough to get holiday pay, RIP

Any ETLs or corporate on here wanna bless my CashApp with these dolly hairs? 👌

I worked about 10 hours today. I would have worked more if I decided to drive to the store earlier. I would have worked open to close if I thought they would let me. I'll celebrate Labor Day when I see my fatter paycheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back