Archived Why are we open on Labor Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always work Mondays. Always. They gave me Labor Day off. I bitched to coworkers about it. But, hey, they tried to call me in today saying that OPU was in flames. Nah, I just got a new 4K TV. I was busy binge watching Animal Planet II in 4K and drinking beer, also known as enjoying the fruits of my labor. They should have thought of the consequences of not scheduling their primary picker on a holiday beforehand.

Swap shift board. Two 4 hour shifts is a full day.
I wish. Softlines is holding on to their shifts lately and it's really irking me. Or the ones trying to give them up are working the same hours I am.

You could have always posted your shift to see if someone would have taken it. It’s rare that a shift at time and a half doesn’t get picked up.

Oh, I did. I saw the rollover shift in the latter half of last week, so I put it on the board. Someone signed for it and then crossed it out. I didn't see that it was crossed out until yesterday, since the cross was a thin line that I didn't catch the first couple of times I glanced at it. It was too late by then, since no one closing yesterday was going to take a shift coming in at 6:30 in the morning, time n' a half or no.

So I was extra salty. 😴

To me, holidays are actually supposed to mean something, otherwise they aren't holidays. "Time and a half" isn't a celebration. I don't understand being so attached to your job that your private life and health don't mean anything, so everything just becomes a race to retirement. That's not me being unmotivated, either. I work hard every single day I come in, I never call off. I keep working on my days off; I recently finished a 2-year degree in CS that I'm trying to turn into a new job and a 4-year degree. Meanwhile, I worked all weekend, I worked last night and I work tomorrow. Making 20 bucks an hour instead of getting to relax on freakin' Labor Day doesn't make me happy. If that makes me a baby, so be it.
You get two days off every week, last time I checked.
You got a 2 year degree. Congrats. Come tell me how life is when you are 50+ and have a 4 year degree and 30 years of work experience.

And a lot of times if you get paid time and a half the taxes taken out are not worth it.

100% false. Overtime pay is not taxed at any other rate than regular pay. Withholding varies slightly but actual tax rate doesn't change.

Unless you are on a tight borderline for assistance programs, working more hours or earning a higher wage will always result in making more money.

All the other countries let their workers take US holidays off. We need re-education.
I doubt Great Britain gives US Independence Day as time off as a national holiday. Wake up and smell what you are shoveling. Why would other countries give their folks time off for OUR holidays?

Labor Day doesn’t really bother me. Thanksgiving is the one that annoys me. Christmas I don’t care but Thanksgiving is the one that year after year drives me crazy. Most of the time you can’t even justify the store being open. After a bit it be ghost town.

I know some won’t agree but I find even Black Friday the past two years to be no big deal. Like a few hours of traffic then dead. Online is where it’s at.

I agree about Black Friday.You get a bit of crazy traffic but nothing like it used to be. Many people avoid shopping on that day because they know (or believe) that the stores will be packed. Its reputation is based on past glories.

There's nothing in the world so cheap and that I need so desperately that I would go out on Black Friday to get it.

More and more people are just staying home on Thanksgiving night and Black Friday ordering on their phones, tablets, or computers. I wonder what big retailer will be the first to stop the Thanksgiving night opening madness and focus on more deals on Black Friday.

I read a comment on Spot’s Facebook page that “maybe you should consider closing your doors on Thanksgiving and open at 5 a.m. Friday”. A response of “That’s a great idea! We’ll be sure to pass that along”. As long as Walmart decides to open up its sales, Target will keep doing it, although I wish they really would go back to the way things were before,

I read a comment on Spot’s Facebook page that “maybe you should consider closing your doors on Thanksgiving and open at 5 a.m. Friday”. A response of “That’s a great idea! We’ll be sure to pass that along”. As long as Walmart decides to open up its sales, Target will keep doing it, although I wish they really would go back to the way things were before,
Me too. I remember years ago when we were closed Thanksgiving and opened at 4 or 5 on Friday. It was great. The store stayed packed throughout the day. We had food all day and everyone was there ready to to. Now, half the store works overnight, the rush ends by midnight, if not 10pm, and we push truck. I miss the old Black Friday.

Because this is AmeriKKKa and we are disgustingly capitalist and corporate apologists.

If you don’t want to work on Labor Day we need to start embracing COMMUNISM.

Is that why Target is open on the 4th of July?

Also, if that is true, why is Target closed on Easter and Christmas?

Easter and Christmas are good Christian holidays. Can’t offend those people.
As the list of the offended ever lengthens I notice the Christians have some legitimate beefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back