Archived why call a store to ask stupid questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't get why guests call with dumb questions. I had dozens of callers ask if we're open. When I answer, it's probably best to hang up or say you were just checking to see if we're open. If we're open on thanksgiving, chances are we're open on the first of the year.

"No...sorry, I came in just to let know callers know we're closed and seasonal is still 70% off."

It is a bit silly, isn't it? I usually hang up straight away if someone answers. Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability to put two and two together, you know? Either that, or they really, really want to make sure the store is open.

Just say yes, have a good day, and hang up! This world is full of people that will ask you a billion questions you feel aren't worthy of answers. Wait until you have kids... unless you already do, of course. If you don't, consider it practice for all the silly questions you'll get later on in life!

i had a guest on the phone in electronics asking about next week sales. seriousply this lady was dense. and the 4 waiting guests were not happy. i am over answering phone calls in electronics. it is just pure stupidity at this point.

"When will this go on sale?" As if I choose when things will go on sale. Or know. And if I happened to know, why I would tell them. Lol, I'm lucky to know what's on sale this week.

"Why is this so expensive?" I don't know. Maybe to make a profit.

On Gray Thursday ... "Sorry you have to be here." If you were really sorry, you wouldn't be here shopping.

How many people actually call ahead when they shop for anything? I understand if it's Christmas shopping or maybe a birthday present but if you call the store and ask about black eye peas and wanting them to be held, I'm just like "what the fuck". Had the operator say "grocery, can you hold some black eye peas" and grocery responded with "we only have frozen ones and we're not allowed to hold them" and the operator responds with "can you hold those for a guest" and grocery responds again saying "no".

If they would listen to the lady's spiel when they first call, they would know we are open and they wouldn't even have to wait to talk to a live human! Believe me, she isn't going to lie to you!

When I worked at the Big Box Bookstore people would occasionally call very early in the morning with book questions.
We always answered the phone because we assumed it was an employee calling out and were now stuck finding out if we had a copy of 'The Architecture of the Holy Roman Empire'.
The funny part was the hold music was whatever was playing in the overheads which when we were closed was very eccentric.
I took a call one morning, put the lady on hold without realizing that the song playing was Ani Difranco's Untouchable Face.
When I got back on on the line the customer was gone.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the song, I'll post it but it's NSFW.

It is a bit silly, isn't it? I usually hang up straight away if someone answers. Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability to put two and two together, you know? Either that, or they really, really want to make sure the store is open.

Just say yes, have a good day, and hang up! This world is full of people that will ask you a billion questions you feel aren't worthy of answers. Wait until you have kids... unless you already do, of course. If you don't, consider it practice for all the silly questions you'll get later on in life!

I do have kids and have experienced my fair share of dumb questions. Difference is, they are kids and ask out of curiosity and learning. Adults should have more common sense. I took count of the calls yesterday, and if it was under 20, it'd be no big deal, but it was much more.

People have called asking everything that was on sale and expected to be told. Guests come to me in softlines asking me to check the price with my scanner, when I'll be right next to the price scanner. I rarely carry pdas on me. When I tell them how we are right next to the scanner, they say never mind and don't bother.

Adults should have more common sense. I think it is less about common sense and more about convenience, I guess. Or entitlement. Laziness. I don't get many stupid questions until the escalator going up stops working. Every lazy, entitled guest comes up and asks me, "Is the escalator working?" Me: "..."

Even worse, every guest feels the need to tell me back to back to back that is stopped.

Adults should have more common sense. I think it is less about common sense and more about convenience, I guess. Or entitlement. Laziness. I don't get many stupid questions until the escalator going up stops working. Every lazy, entitled guest comes up and asks me, "Is the escalator working?" Me: "..."

Even worse, every guest feels the need to tell me back to back to back that is stopped.

I love when i stand in front of it blocking it and they try to get past me. im like really im standing here for a reason. and then you tell them its broken the elevator is over there they go cant i just walk down. i want to say only if you promise not to sue if you fall

I really don't get why guests call with dumb questions. I had dozens of callers ask if we're open. When I answer, it's probably best to hang up or say you were just checking to see if we're open. If we're open on thanksgiving, chances are we're open on the first of the year.

"No...sorry, I came in just to let know callers know we're closed and seasonal is still 70% off."
I don't think thats a dumb question.

When I worked at the Big Box Bookstore people would occasionally call very early in the morning with book questions.
We always answered the phone because we assumed it was an employee calling out and were now stuck finding out if we had a copy of 'The Architecture of the Holy Roman Empire'.
The funny part was the hold music was whatever was playing in the overheads which when we were closed was very eccentric.
I took a call one morning, put the lady on hold without realizing that the song playing was Ani Difranco's Untouchable Face.
When I got back on on the line the customer was gone.
For those of you who aren't familiar with the song, I'll post it but it's NSFW.

That's great. I wonder what her reaction was...

I don't think thats a dumb question.

It is a dumb question when you call and it says that were open and what our hours are. We have the phone on night service when we close, so no one answers.

I loved this call...

Me: Hi thank you for calling the super target on the corner of A and B, how may I direct your call?

Guest: Yes. Which store are you and are you open?

Me:.................... uhh we are off A and B. Yes we are open...

Guest: Well that doesn't matter, you're not the right store! Why didn't you give out the right store number I need?

Me: Well I'd be happy to help you find it, which store did you need?

Guest: The one on B and A.

Me: ......... get out. (Hang up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back