Archived Why can't I quit you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullselle

Softy
I've started my job search and I've narrowed it down to about 5 options. Nothing left to do now but send out applications... but I haven't done that yet because I just can't decide how to change my availability. I can't decide if I want to work at Target for a few days or if I should just quit altogether. Some input from people who have worked Target and another job would be greatly appreciated!

(Also just out of curiosity, if you're a former TM, how long did it take you to quit?)

I drove over to my store to give notice immediately after being hired for my new job. As to how long it takes to quit, once you put in your notice (anytime the store is open) you are only responsible for shifts 2 weeks after your date of notice, regardless of when you were scheduled (giving notice on a Friday the 6th --> you don't have to work Saturday the 21st even if scheduled).

If you want to work at two different places that is a different animal. Most multi job workers on here send their target schedule to their 2nd employer, but if your store is willing to play ball you could do it the other way around. Or if your 2nd job has set hours, you could change your availability to prevent you from being scheduled during those hours.

I'm not sure I phrased this right. My predicament is basically that I haven't decided whether I should work two jobs or if I should quit. I was hoping that some TMs that work or have worked two jobs could weigh in on whether that's a good idea.

And by how long did it take you to quit, I meant how long did it take you to put in your two weeks. I've been meaning to put mine in for about a month now.

I've never done that myself, but one of my former co-workers did that for about a month before quitting Target to focus on school and his other/current job (which I guess gave better hours than our store did).

If you have the time and energy to do both, then I say do it since it'll be a few extra dollars in your pocket depending on if you can work both jobs and still get decent hours between the two. But, if it feels like too much, then you gotta decide which job you like better.

quityou.jpg

Working two jobs depends on how much you need the extra income, how much you enjoy your current job, and if you think you can get Target to change your availability to go along with it.

If the 5 jobs you are looking to apply for have variable hours, make your availability as open as possible on the applications (even if it conflicts with Target). It will increase your chances of at least getting an interview if you are more available and then you can deal with any conflicts after you get hired.

I've done two jobs before and my husband's hobby can be more than forty hours on top of his forty plus for his job. If the money is good and you don't want lots of sleep or free time go for it.

I've always put in notice as soon as I've got a job offer from the next job, and I tell the new job I have a current job I have shifts to finish out in those two weeks.

I work two jobs, one as a contracted autism support therapist. My store really worked with me and I work Monday through Wednesday for four or five hours. While I get paid well and have 40 hours, it is per diem and if school is closed or the client is not available, I do not get paid. Target is there to fill in the gaps.

I suggest if the store is willing to work with you to keep both. It is difficult at times; I get up at 5:30 and travel to three different schools right now, two of which are in complete opposite places in the area driving 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day; plus being at Target until 11 or midnight, but I am young and can run on 3 or 4 hours of sleep and have the weekends to look forward to. Plus the discount helps.

I've got 10+ years of almost 40 hours a week before I got my new job. I work 1 shift a week now at Target, sometimes more. I like to keep it in my back pocket because in today's economy you never know what is going to happen! If they will be flexible and let you work just 1 or 2 shifts a week I say do it! There still are some perks to working in retail.

I get up at 5:30 and travel to three different schools right now, two of which are in complete opposite places in the area driving 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day; plus being at Target until 11 or midnight, but I am young and can run on 3 or 4 hours of sleep and have the weekends to look forward to. Plus the discount helps.

Wow. I may be young, but sleeping 3 to 4 hours is not possible for me. If working two jobs makes me lose that much sleep, I'm quitting Target for sure.

I work 2 jobs but only because I'm BR day and get off at 8. I couldn't do it if I worked till 11. Also, why I have not transferred to the super which is much closer to my house/other job. I work 5 days a week 7-3 and 4-8.

I would suggest juggling both if you can. You can always use Target as a backup if the new job isn't what it seems to be. FYI: If you quit Target and come back, you will probably start from the beginning with pay. We had a TM go on LOA, was going to come back, decided not to and quit. A month later he asked to come back. We did the interview but he was offered $9 an hour. He had several years with Target and was at $16 before quitting. He ultimately decided not to come back for $9 an hour. (Example of how Target pays by position not by who the person is or what they have done)

The real concern is how you value your time. Do you need the extra income? How many hours do you want to work a week? Do 2 jobs = 1 40hr paycheck or is the 2nd job just extra money? Juggling two jobs can be tough but some must do it to survive.

Depends on your potential job. I would make the job that pays more and has better security my primary. Then work the second job around it.

I worked a video production job at a TV station. It first was a set 4am - 8am M-F. Then I was available at Target 9am to about 5pm.

Then things shifted from Tues-Sat 4am-1pm at the station, then at Target it was Sat-Sun available all day, and 2-6 shifts turn turned quickly to just pickup shifts during the week.

But it was sad I was paid better at Target than at my station.

I work a normal 9-5 job and then work one day a week (Sundays) at Target

Not sure what type of jobs you're looking at, but if it's some corporate job, it is nice to have the Target job one or two days a week for a variety of reasons

1. Extra money. It might not be much, but it is a bonus ~$60-80 a week, which is definitely nice
2. Discount. See above.
3. Job with not potential for repercussions.

#3 is one of the main reasons I stay with Target. At my other job, if I mess up, I could potentially harm a multi-million dollar client (note, this hasn't happened yet). If I mess up at Target... oh well, a product doesn't get on a shelf? There's no potential repercussions, and it's an exceedingly easy job!

@Megaparsec - one-day a week TMs are hard to term too - which may be a perk because you can give little effort and still get the extra $$.

I had a TM who worked backroom once a week (Friday overnight). This TM was super slow and literally put in minimum effort - basically a waste of hours and it hurt the process. Luckily the other TMs picked up the slack.

Anyway - minimum effort once a week gets you extra money and 10% off. If you do some grocery shopping you could eventually save 20% or more by using 10% discount, 5% redCard, and 5%+ using Cartwheel. Not bad for once a week.

What's better? A TM who works twice a month. I had a TM that worked every other Saturday night. Even bigger time waster but for him, he was winning!

Im working two jobs with my availability being morning for other job and afternoons with target. i get more hours with target since i only work 2 or 3 6-hour shifts at my other job. I usually get lucky and only have to work both one time in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back