Why do leadership in retail places schedule short shifts instead of fewer days when cutting hours?

Y'all, I'm just curious. Every retail place I've worked at, when they cut hours, they cut people from 8 hour shifts to 4 hour shifts, instead of switching from 5 days a week to 3 or 4? Hours are hours, but every day you've gotta show up is more money/time for commuting, etc. Is there any benefit for leaders to scheduling more days, fewer hours, vs fewer days, same # of hours?

Guessing here, but if the store is super busy for 4 hours a day and they can have a body to help those guests for 2 days instead of 1, they will. The store can probably make more sales with the same amount of hours.

Y'all, I'm just curious. Every retail place I've worked at, when they cut hours, they cut people from 8 hour shifts to 4 hour shifts, instead of switching from 5 days a week to 3 or 4? Hours are hours, but every day you've gotta show up is more money/time for commuting, etc. Is there any benefit for leaders to scheduling more days, fewer hours, vs fewer days, same # of hours?

Needs of the store.
Plus this way they have their hooks in so it's harder for you to go looking for another job.

In my situation with Target it depends on how many of my hours are getting cut. If there cutting my hours from 37 to 27 they will give me an extra day off. If the are cutting me from 37 to 32 then I just get shorter days. I’ve seen Target do both.

Guessing here, but if the store is super busy for 4 hours a day and they can have a body to help those guests for 2 days instead of 1, they will. The store can probably make more sales with the same amount of hours.
Okay but you're only there for half as long. That's what I'm saying. Hours are hours.

Don't have to find lunch coverage.
I think this explanation makes the most sense in my mind. I loved it when my team was scheduled for 5 hour shifts because it meant no need for lunches. Simplified my life a lot, even though I know from having worked those shifts it was really annoying.

Needs of the store.
Plus this way they have their hooks in so it's harder for you to go looking for another job.
I've always thought this actually worsened attrition. If I was going to be commuting 30 minutes each way, and you are only giving me 4 hour shifts five days a week, I'm going to be looking for other jobs that'll give me 40 hours consistently, or even 30 hours but in 8 hour increments. Plus I'll have 4 more hours per week to job-hunt ;)

Last edited:
Also if you end up with call ins (or flex hours) it is a lot easier to get someone to extend their shift than it is to call someone to come in to pick up a shift.
This. Call offs are guaranteed, so giving people fewer days each week means drastically less coverage when people call in. Shorter shifts help mitigate that and allow for extensions when needed.

Exactly, but you're there during peak foot traffic hours twice a week instead of 1, so the average guest is serviced better. Hours are hours.

Just a guess anyway. If you want the real answer, just ask your ETL.
I figured they'd fill the high demand demand times with part timers, but yeah. I am asking because I'm interviewing to become an ETL (or other management role) lmao and I want to do my job well

I figured they'd fill the high demand demand times with part timers, but yeah. I am asking because I'm interviewing to become an ETL (or other management role) lmao and I want to do my job well
You might have to work more hours to help or cover call offs.

I've always thought this actually worsened attrition. If I was going to be commuting 30 minutes each way, and you are only giving me 4 hour shifts five days a week, I'm going to be looking for other jobs that'll give me 40 hours consistently, or even 30 hours but in 8 hour increments. Plus I'll have 4 more hours per week to job-hunt ;)
Commute 30 minutes to work at Target? Maybe for leadership, but not worth it for a TM when (most) Target(s) pays the same $15/hr as every other retailer and fast food place place.

We have some Team members at my store who commute an hour to work.
I once knew a young woman who commuted 50 mi each way to work retail, for 4 hour shifts. Pay was $18.50/hr. Crazy to me. Based on the IRS mileage rate, she was spending like $50 a day just to go to work. Probably less because she drove a small efficient vehicle, but still. She would be barely making 2 hours worth of pay per day. Not to mention 1 hour of commuting each way.

Last edited:
Commute 30 minutes to work at Target? Maybe for leadership, but not worth it for a TM when (most) Target(s) pays the same $15/hr as every other retailer and fast food place place.
I live 10 miles from my Target and it takes me 30 minutes to get there. It's absolutely worth it.

Back