Archived Why do they keep giving me so many hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was hired as seasonal, I put "15" as the number of hours I wanted to work. My max was 25. The most recent three weeks of schedule? 23.5, 24.5 and 25.5 hours. I guess I should have put "15" as my max, too. I feel like I spend all my free time at Target and I'm getting a little resentful. I don't mind the work, but 8 hours a day on each weekend day is just too much. I was thinking I'd be working three 4 or 5 hour shifts a week - instead as of tomorrow, I'll have worked 6 days straight - with Friday, Saturday and Sunday being 8 hours each - the entire long weekend for my kids; I barely saw them. I know that it was Thanksgiving week, but still . . . did I have to work Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday AND Monday?

Why wouldn't they give the hours to people who want the hours? Or hire another person? It seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot. I'm a good employee - always have been. But, while when I first started (and had a 13.5 hour training week), I thought . . . hmmm, maybe I'll try to stay on, now I'm thinking forget it. I don't want to spend 16 hours of every Saturday and Sunday away from my family.

When I was hired as seasonal, I put "15" as the number of hours I wanted to work. My max was 25. The most recent three weeks of schedule? 23.5, 24.5 and 25.5 hours. I guess I should have put "15" as my max, too. I feel like I spend all my free time at Target and I'm getting a little resentful. I don't mind the work, but 8 hours a day on each weekend day is just too much. I was thinking I'd be working three 4 or 5 hour shifts a week - instead as of tomorrow, I'll have worked 6 days straight - with Friday, Saturday and Sunday being 8 hours each - the entire long weekend for my kids; I barely saw them. I know that it was Thanksgiving week, but still . . . did I have to work Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday AND Monday?

Why wouldn't they give the hours to people who want the hours? Or hire another person? It seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot. I'm a good employee - always have been. But, while when I first started (and had a 13.5 hour training week), I thought . . . hmmm, maybe I'll try to stay on, now I'm thinking forget it. I don't want to spend 16 hours of every Saturday and Sunday away from my family.
I believe seasonal hires require weekends as available. Which sucks, but it's where we need the coverage.

I have mine set to about 15-20 hours a week but i am getting like 32-34 hours a week + 6 hours of school :/ yeah no it sucks :D

According to my (now fired) ETL it's to develop your relationship with Target/myTime. Almost all of the new hires at my store have been getting 8 hour shifts and have slowly transitioned into four hours. It's total bull as when I got hired I rarely got 8 hours (I rarely get them now). Also if your availability is open you're most likely going to get full shifts instead of half shifts.

This was my year long battle. I would suggest talking to your HR person and see if you can change you max hours. Talking to me gstl worked for a week or two, then it crept back up.

That said, you will work both days of the weekend as a seasonal right now - unless they will relent and change that for you.

I quit a couple of weeks ago, I just couldn't deal with the messed up family time. It was really hurting us big time. With the event of this weekend it is probably the biggest thing I'm grateful for this past month.

Good luck on getting it sorted out!

I have 20 as my max and have been averaging 27-30 but only for the last 3 weeks. I will let it go for 2 more weeks then I am going to mention it.

When i got hired i was told 16 hours a week, 4 hours a day. I was thinking to myself how much of a great part time job this will be. Next thing i know im working 40hours a week. Stupid.

After your 90 days i would go talk to your etl and tell them that you cant work on certain non-truck days or only a certain amount of hours a day. Just make up a believable "i have to watch my little brother or kid during this time" excuse or something and they should do it for you.

If i heard right, and remember when i was.hired, they ask "are you ok with working at least 25 hours per week?".
Our store is still hiring lol

I say sure, but it's your loss...

;>)

Come January your hours will drop drastically or if only seasonal you will be without a job. Retail is like that with hours.

You could always put some shifts on the board for someone to take. There area always people looking to pick up extra hours etc. Like others have said on here come Jan, you want have to worry about getting to many hours...Christmas is less than three weeks away so all this will be over before you know it

I wish i got 24 a week. I've been getting 45
I wish i could get 45 my store is so hesitant about handing out overtime, only was able to get it once because we got screwed by a double truck and flow members who stay only 1 day.

When I was hired I said I wanted 20-30 hours a week and they have consistently given me 40, sometimes 7 or 8 days in a row of 8 hour shifts. Literally 99% closing shifts, too (I always close market unless by some miracle I get a random hardlines shift). I know it's not a q4 thing because I've been here a year and had this problem consistently. When I talk to them they are very understanding, promise to fix the problem, and do. For about two weeks. Needless to say I'm at the point where I'm looking for a new job...

Also, I used to always use the swap board, but everyone in market gets 40 hours a week or has very inflexible availabilities because of school and no one else is trained to do market, so I'm stuck with my shifts unless I call in, which is starting to happen more frequently because I'm stressed out and tired. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back