Archived Why do we have door alarms if we let guests through anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalina

Bullseye Biatch!
Every time the sensor goes off at the doors, we just ask if they have any electronic cases or spider wraps and tell them to have a nice day. I'm told they often go off because the carts are too close to the sensor. Is that true? What is that makes it go off? Cause I've also noticed that guest service keys make it go off as well. Does this happen at anyone else's store,

Every time the sensor goes off at the doors, we just ask if they have any electronic cases or spider wraps and tell them to have a nice day. I'm told they often go off because the carts are too close to the sensor. Is that true? What is that makes it go off? Cause I've also noticed that guest service keys make it go off as well. Does this happen at anyone else's store,
Yes.
Welcome to retail.

They are there as a deterrent mostly. GSTL keys set them off because of the S3 key attached.

They are a deterrent. If you're stealing something, you are stealing something that has that sensor in it, you know that when you walk out the door everyone is going to look up at you.

Store keys and equipment also set them off to help reduce equipment loss (more to make sure TMs don't accidentally take keys/equipment home).

Anyone who stops when they set off those alarms is not a thief.

you walk out the door everyone is going to look up at you.
So? Nobody does anything, anyway.

I always thought it was the cell phones setting those alarms off.

Wait hold up.
Does that mean that those who steal items WITHOUT a sensor (like make-up or even shoes) don't trigger the alarm?

Spot doesn't care.

But they should...

Those are the, "you bought a DVD in the self check out, so the security case is still on it" alarms.

Then of course there is the 'the purse has a security tag in it that manufacturer installed and nobody is really sure where it the problem is.
I shut those down more than once at the book store for women because they went off when they came in the door.

Store keys and equipment also set them off to help reduce equipment loss (more to make sure TMs don't accidentally take keys/equipment home).

I wish ours worked the time I accidentally took home electronics keys.

I wish ours worked the time I accidentally took home electronics keys.
I took jewelry keys home for nearly a week once... I was only working weekends at the time and Target was on the other side of town. The alarm tags on all the keys were nonexistent or broken at the time.

High heels, metal underwire, anything that will set off a TSA gate.

I know years ago...only AP could search guests to a certain extent. TMs can only ask if they have a tagged item and run over the sensor.

They are obviously a deterrent to theft from a visual perspective. AP is also allowed to receipt check and apprehend if they go off, since its initiated through an EAS tower.

Old Navy apparel sets ours off.
We used to have the same problem when Sam Goody was in the mall. They also had the same problem with our products. I think it was because many items were source ticketed (ticketed at the vendor) and each store used a security system, but items were ticketed with types of security devices. That meant that we would deactivate ours, while S G would deactivate theirs causing false due to the other still active security device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back