Archived Why has target not called me back yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible the turn down email was an auto send? I've talked to HR once about someone I know putting in an application and getting the turn down email you got and HR said they didn't send it. I wonder if they don't respond quick enough if there is some sort of automated reply, kind of like when we put in for time off and they don't accept the request fast enough? Long story short they asked her to reapply. *shrug* I dunno, HRZone and our other HRTMs are more likely to know if this is a thing or not.

The turndown email is an auto send. BUT a hrtm has to turn them down before it is sent. It gives us a list of reasons of why we are turning them down.

Employment experience (job abandoned at target, only last at jobs one month at a time) and insufficient availability are the number one turndown reasons for me.

Keep in mind its not just about availability, you have to 'pass' the assessment test to get an interview

They got rid of the assessment earlier this year.

At certain stores (hard to hires) we weren't allowed to use it but now it's gone completely. Too many people had other people taking it for them.

@LUR99 I know your store used to use the assessment. Was it helpful?

Last edited:
Really?!? I swear my hrtm and I just talked about people not passing. Good to know.

I will also turn applicants down if they recently started a job and are already looking for a new job and applicants who only stay for a few months at their jobs.

Why? Genuine question. Sometimes the person and the job are a bad fit, sometimes there's good reason to leave because the boss is bad.

Why? Genuine question. Sometimes the person and the job are a bad fit, sometimes there's good reason to leave because the boss is bad.

One job, sure bad fit but some people will have worked 3 different jobs since January. To me that's a red flag, some people legitimately are not good at holding down a job. And if its multiple places maybe it's not the management but it's the person.

Okay, that makes sense. I thought you were disqualifying everyone who had any short job, even only one.

Okay, that makes sense. I thought you were disqualifying everyone who had any short job, even only one.
One short job doesn't disqualify you, but several do. Same for applicants who move every 3 months and have a new job because they move all the time. It's not in our best interest to hire someone who will be with us just a few months.

I heard a TL tell an applicant that they had a better chance of getting hired if they filled out an application on line. We don't even have paper applications any more. Is that even legal?

Not sure it's legal, but we do have the paper ones still.

If still in practice, applications are kept for 60 or 90 days. Application pools are fairly large. Store transfers and cross area training of internal TMs may also resolve position needs.

I heard a TL tell an applicant that they had a better chance of getting hired if they filled out an application on line. We don't even have paper applications any more. Is that even legal?

The paper ones are a bit of a pain and have to be manually entered but since they got rid of the assesment it's easier than it once was.

Most stores got rid of the kiosk to let people apply in store so technically you should have paper applications. I wonder if your hrbp knows about that. He could get fired for that.

Stores are required to keep paper applications on hand in English and Spanish! We keep our paper applications at the service desk, all Service Desk TM have to know where they are.
What the TL told the applicant is false, yikes!

You could look at it from the viewpoint that it takes time to process a paper application, and they could conceivably hire someone else before that happens.

We also don't have paper applications (at least as far as anyone knows). I guess if someone insisted, we could find one on the computer or in a filing cabinet somewhere.

I recently applied. Went to an interview, thought it went really well. However, the woman who conducted the interview accidentally submitted my "interview questions" after only answering one question.... and then proceeded to finish it on paper. Was told to check my portal for a second interview.... could it have been a mistake? did the automatic email go in by accident? Should i call the hiring manager?

I recently applied. Went to an interview, thought it went really well. However, the woman who conducted the interview accidentally submitted my "interview questions" after only answering one question.... and then proceeded to finish it on paper. Was told to check my portal for a second interview.... could it have been a mistake? did the automatic email go in by accident? Should i call the hiring manager?
There is no way to schedule a second interview on Workday. It sounds like the Leader conducting your interview wasn’t familiar with this fairly new process. If it’s been a week and you still haven’t received a call back about a second interview OR received a turndown email I would suggest giving them a call. It sounds like you fell between the cracks and I am sorry about that, this new hiring process is unnecessarily complicated and actively works against the user.

Which is illegal for you to do.
One of the reasons to turn someone down has always been “desired length of employment.” Someone who trends as a job-hopper is usually turned down for that reason. Maybe this would’ve been the job they lasted twenty years at? Maybe the applicant we chose instead only lasts 8 shifts? All we can do is cross our fingers and hope we all chose right.

One of the most common causes of job hopping is disability. So turning down an applicant because of short term previous employment is simply a sneaky way of getting around disability discrimination laws since employers know darn well the applicant likely has a disability they don't want to accommodate.

One of the reasons to turn someone down has always been “desired length of employment.” Someone who trends as a job-hopper is usually turned down for that reason. Maybe this would’ve been the job they lasted twenty years at? Maybe the applicant we chose instead only lasts 8 shifts? All we can do is cross our fingers and hope we all chose right.
Yet if you’ve been employed at a company for more than 4-5 years , would be deemed as not having interest in furthering yourself .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back