Why isn't the truck IMMEDIATELY pushed to the floor ?

It's retarded really. Target cares more about public image that a pallet on the sales floor is not ok.. Meanwhile walmart is selling goods and making more money lining up their goods along the racetrack. Target likes to have a nice presented shelves and other nonsense design.

Please rethink your use of the R word. Not cool in the least and it also cancels out anything good you might have to say after it.

Modernization was and is the biggest fail but they can't and won't ever admit this, but covid showed it to be true. They took an amazingly well run process that we were known for in the industry and ruined it.
As a presentation leader who had to set every department and watch them all fall apart because I had the skilled workers in my workcenter and Flow and Hardlines/Closing had the duds, I have to disagree. Modernization helped ensure my store always looked good and full all the time, instead of just the two weeks after a transition happened

As a presentation leader who had to set every department and watch them all fall apart because I had the skilled workers in my workcenter and Flow and Hardlines/Closing had the duds, I have to disagree. Modernization helped ensure my store always looked good and full all the time, instead of just the two weeks after a transition happened
A lot of people have come through this board and said "modernization works!" But when they were pinned down for the details, it always turned out they had a special thing going on that was actually against modernization or was a gift above and beyond what most stores can get.

A few that I remember, the guy who swore up and down the back room processes worked (maybe ladderless), but finally admitted he had two huge storage trailers and had them stuffed full of items that were to be stored in the back room. Another person said modernization worked exactly as is, but turned out that one big rule was being broken and the person admitted that if that rule wasn't broken modernization couldn't work. Another store got extra hours, apparently the SD had some dirt on the DSD so there was more money in the pot to put towards a critical area whenever hours got too low. Someone else had extra people on unloading rather than the called-for number. There's been more.

So, what's your anti-modernization trick? What is it that goes against a single part of modernization or what is it that you are being given that no other stores have that is making things work? Hours? A specialty team intact but on the schedule spread out? What's the trick?

In my store, Modernization was working when we had the hours and TMs were being scheduled the way said they would and should be, i.e. mid-shifts and/or 7-8 hour shifts for DBOs so they actually had time to do 141s, reshop, push truck, price changes, VMG. etc, and actually zone during the day so that the closers only had to touch up and keep up on reshop, maybe push some leftover truck.

Once the pandemic hit, that all went out the window.

Once the pandemic hit, that all went out the window.
And why? Sales at our store have been way over forecast and comp with no adjustments made. I'm tired of hearing that hours are based on last year, blah, blah, blah. Everything else in our world has been changed, why not this? In the most current A Bullseye View, it says "If 2020 has taught us anything, it’s that flexibility is key. And throughout the year, we offered guests even more of the services and experiences they love, when they needed it most. " That should apply to providing hours for the team members who provide those services and experiences, too.

Our store finally got more hours for the front end & fulfillment, which have been slammed this month with the stimulus checks coming out, but it's an annoying slow process. Spot should trust SDs to be able to look at what's going on in their market and pull levers to increase payroll. If they overdo it and store margins suffer, then have accountability for that, but as long as the store is exceeding goal they should be able to add hours.

Though part of the problem is the schedule. Schedule comes out two weeks ahead of time and when something unexpected happens (like the stimulus checks) even if they get more hours they're reliant on people willing to come in and work extra, and that's never guaranteed.

Not that I'm saying the schedules should come out later, I don't think that's reasonable, and it's a part of why I'm not on board with plans to require schedules to come out a month ahead of time or whatever.

We were fine, not perfect but we made it work, as well a couple years into modernization but that was for a normal A volume store. After covid hit and it was basically q4 all year we began to crumble. Now we are up a sold 15% in sales doubles 3 times a week sometimes 4 all year and no payroll to match the workload add in covid taking out critical players randomly for long periods of time and we are a disaster. We went from being the store everyone was compared to to a daily hell. And many say we are still one of the better ones. Even at its best modernization never compared to the clean, safe, well run process we once had. These unloads are a nightmare and the backrooms are unsafe and filled with errors. If you're store is doing better consider yourself lucky.

Modernization works for us as long as our payroll matches our workload.

With Covid we are up nearly 50% ytd so obviously we are overspending constantly.

Despite having an overnight team that starts at 9pm these days, they asked all the sales floor TMs to stay late to push grocery freight, in case anyone was wondering how my store is doing.

I can't really blame modernization at this point, as we do have an overnight team (and have since about....April? May? We were a 4am store before) it's just so. much. freight. I don't know if it's a lack of hours or a lack of people willing to work those hours, but we're struggling.

We had about 72 million in sales last year, and last I checked (a couple weeks ago) we were over 85 for the year. We definitely have more hours, but I don't know if they're enough or in the right places.

My ETL noted that things looked good, when I got in. I asked how long people stayed for, and not too long for GM TMs but apparently they had "most of the overnight team stay the full 8 hours"...... Uh, you weren't having them work 8 hours before? W.T.F. No wonder we never come clean. I haven't asked how many doubles we get, but we were getting 3-4 a week early in the pandemic and that was a lot (normally I guess we only got 1-2 per week). I suspect we're still getting at least that.

My ETL noted that things looked good, when I got in. I asked how long people stayed for, and not too long for GM TMs but apparently they had "most of the overnight team stay the full 8 hours"...... Uh, you weren't having them work 8 hours before? W.T.F. No wonder we never come clean. I haven't asked how many doubles we get, but we were getting 3-4 a week early in the pandemic and that was a lot (normally I guess we only got 1-2 per week). I suspect we're still getting at least that.
Maybe your ocernight team is small enough that they're working 6 days? Some of our team works 6x6 instead of 8x5 because of family commitments.

Modernization works for me. I like owning an area v. a process. Gets a little boring pushing freight, but I try to find small projects to complete in my area in between transitions/end caps.

Not really working for my store.

Last edited:
English isn't my first language. Apologize for the R word. Wasnt aware of it being an offensive word. I rarely say it, just around close friends. Now I'm gonna stop saying it. We're all learning everyday.

View attachment 12086
Appreciate your post. I have family and friends who still struggle with things like this as well. All we can do as humans is learn and move on.

Back