WIC on the new POS

They called me into cashier today which is all fine but this guest wanted to use their WIC card. If I'm being honest I'm 18 and I've never heard of a WIC card so I just thought it was a SNAP card so when we tried to run it as snap it didn't work (shocker) I called the front of the store manager and she said we didn't take WIC. Later I realized that in the payment methods there's is a "Manual WIC" option for payment so how could we not take it. Just to ask it all around here does target accept WIC and if we do how do we use it?

state by state basis, if you take it it will work as a regular payment method at the payment screen. they just swipe the card

Most targets accept wic. Whenever someone is paying with a card just press pay no need to press any other buttons. Your store entrance should have a sign saying you accept wic if you do.

Most targets accept wic. Whenever someone is paying with a card just press pay no need to press any other buttons. Your store entrance should have a sign saying you accept wic if you do.
The problem was that the guest inserted their card as normal. Another issue was this guest was deaf so I couldn't communicate with her aswell. On the card reader from what I remember there was no WIC option because she was confused aswell.

The problem was that the guest inserted their card as normal. Another issue was this guest was deaf so I couldn't communicate with her aswell. On the card reader from what I remember there was no WIC option because she was confused aswell.
Wic cards dont have a chip so you have to swipe and you should be able to on that main pay screen. Did it have like 3 options when you swiped? One like EBT Cash.

Wic cards dont have a chip so you have to swipe and you should be able to on that main pay screen. Did it have like 3 options when you swiped? One like EBT Cash.
Yeah swipe is what I meant. I'm pretty sure it was 3 options

Not only is it state by state but individual stores can get banned from accepting WIC if they are caught violating the provisions in WIC- granting exceptions when they shouldn't. Almost anything with a nutrition label qualifies for SNAP. WIC special supplemental nutrition program for Woman (primarily pregnant), infants and children is a much more restrictive specific program with lots of rules- specific sizes, brands, products, etc. We have the WIC folder at each register. I would imagine if you don't and you asked you probably don't accept them and don't have to worry. There use to be checks and those were even more complicated then the cards.

Not only is it state by state but individual stores can get banned from accepting WIC if they are caught violating the provisions in WIC- granting exceptions when they shouldn't. Almost anything with a nutrition label qualifies for SNAP. WIC special supplemental nutrition program for Woman (primarily pregnant), infants and children is a much more restrictive specific program with lots of rules- specific sizes, brands, products, etc. We have the WIC folder at each register. I would imagine if you don't and you asked you probably don't accept them and don't have to worry. There use to be checks and those were even more complicated then the cards.

Yep my store got banned cause a certain ETL didn't train people properly and enforce the rules so we got tossed out of the program.

They must have changed the WIC rules in MN in the last couple years because people used to have the checks that rejected everything but I haven't seen anyone with a check in a year or two. I don't really pay that much attention, and don't cashier that often, but sometimes the POS will spit out a couple of receipts for guests to review (nobody ever does) so it ends up being pretty painless, but I'm not sure if those are for SNAP or WIC purchases.

The paper check days were literal torture. For everyone. Working baby was the worst because people would come for formula (all the same size/brand, natch) and we'd be out or have to get stuff from the back and once I got their formula I'd basically be helping them try to find products for the rest of their checks. I'd just grab literally every option I could find that matched the description and told them to try them in order of preference at the register and give the cashier the ones that didn't work. Saved time over having to be called up to do so later when the guest tried one product that matched the description yet still didn't qualify.

WIC guests were always a minimum of 45 minutes of time with them to get them what they need and it made me so fucking mad that the rules were so clearly deliberately punitive for all involved and was such a GD waste.

most states in the country are moving to ewic which offers no exceptions :)

most states in the country are moving to ewic which offers no exceptions :)
That's good to hear! does eWic just mean its a card rather than a physical voucher? Because if so then in my state we already had physical cards.

It’s such a pain when they are buying baby food. So many of ours don’t qualify. It takes forever at the checklanes. We pretty much have to void the transaction and ring up a few jars at a time.

I have a problem with paying for my order via PayPal. I’ve bought SARMS several times before from this store: https://purerawz.co/ , but now I started using PayPal and decided to try to pay through it. I linked my card to my account and tried to transfer money, but the funds were not credited to my PayPal account. I got a message that the card was charged, but the PayPal app says something like "money on hold." I don't think the problem is related to the store, because I have been ordering items there for a long time. But how to solve this problem with PayPal?

Last edited:
I linked my card to my account and tried to transfer money, but the funds were not credited to my PayPal account. I got a message that the card was charged, but the PayPal app says something like "money on hold." I don't think the problem is related to the store, because I have been ordering items there for a long time. But how to solve this problem with PayPal?

This has nothing to do with WIC.
You would probably have better luck asking this in its own thread.

Back