Archived Will I get fired or in any trouble for going to lunch a minute late?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I clocked out to lunch literally ONE minute after the compliance limit.

I am still in my 90 day probation period.

You might get coached but I don’t think you’ll get fired on the spot

I clocked out to lunch literally ONE minute after the compliance limit.

I am still in my 90 day probation period.

I’ve already had 2 coachings, neither were for clocking late, but still I had 2 coachings.

I don't want to scare you but 2 coachings and a meal compliance within your 90 day probation period doesn't look good at all. I can't speak for your store because ASANTS, but my store would probably let you go before your 90th day.

They won't be happy. In my store they're strict, and always do write ups for hitting your fifth hour.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS....but....you can always "forget" to clock out for lunch. If you catch my drift. And take like a 40 minute lunch, clocking back in at 40, rather than 45. Again...I seriously don't recommend this, but it's a common occurrence in my store since they are so strict.

LITERALLY ONE MINUTE over compliance is a big deal?

Yes, if it wasn't, they wouldn't coach and write people up for it. Target has been sued a lot for reasons related to meals and breaks. We have reports that tell us specifically if anyone hit meal compliance or didn't clock out/in for lunch.

Also, why did you wait that long to take your lunch? Meal compliance is easily preventable by taking lunch by your 4th hour or 4.5 hours into your shift (if you are a fifth hour lunch store).

Last edited:
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS....but....you can always "forget" to clock out for lunch. If you catch my drift.

I do not recommend it either. We pull a report every day that specifically lists everyone who "forgets" to clock out for their lunch.

And take like a 40 minute lunch, clocking back in at 40, rather than 45. Again...I seriously don't recommend this, but it's a common occurrence in my store since they are so strict.

On the corrective action template, there is a list of reasons that we can write people up for. One of the reasons is taking a meal break that lasts under 45 minutes. They probably won't write you up for it but they can do it.

Last edited:
I do not recommend it either. We pull a report every day that specifically lists everyone who "forgets" to clock out for their lunch.

On the corrective action template, there is a list of reasons that we can write people up for. One of the reasons is taking a meal break that lasts under 45 minutes. They probably won't write you up for it but they can do it.

Yep. Like I said. I don't recommend it. However people seem to successfully bullshit their way through it constantly.

Yep. Like I said. I don't recommend it. However people seem to successfully bullshit their way through it constantly.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Like, did this person seriously forget to clock out for lunch like 5+ times last month? My store has been coming up with ways to combat it because we got tired of the BS.

Last edited:
Yes, if it wasn't, they wouldn't coach and write people up for it. Target has been sued a lot for reasons related to meals and breaks. We have reports that tell us specifically if anyone hit meal compliance or didn't clock out/in for lunch.

Also, why did you wait that long to take your lunch? Meal compliance is easily preventable by taking lunch by your 4th hour or 4.5 hours into your shift (if you are a fifth hour lunch store).
I clocked in at 6 AM, had until 11:45 AM at the latest to clock out for lunch. I waited because I was trying to get more work done due to the large amount of dollar today, as I’m already regularly told it should take me less than 2 hours to due 4 tubs or 2 flats, some unrealistic shit like that. Today I had people working with me, but the chicken strips also take 15 minutes to cook, so I told them to cook it at 11:30 AM, planning to clock out to lunch at 11:40 AM, I went to the bathroom to attempt to wash all the black sticky stuff off my hands. I looked at my phone right before leaving the bathroom, it wasn’t EXACTLY 11:45 AM, I walked as fast as I could to the clock, it was 11:46 AM.

One fucking mistake may have set my life back even more, again, and caused severe issues at home, that have a good chance of escalating to me going to jail.

If I’m let go for poor performance when I’m trying my fucking hardest, and being told to finish 4 tubs or 2 flats in less than 2 hours BY MYSELF, I might be in handcuffs before I even leave Target. If I’m fired for clocking out one minute too lunch, I may not get mad like that since it isn’t an insult to me (being told I suck when I’m trying my best is insulting, add that to being given an unrealistic amount of time for a shit ton of shit to do BY MYSELF) but then there will still be problems at home later due to me losing another job.

My step dad will be the one to cause the hell, I need to move out, but I can’t if I can’t keep a job.

So who will I assault? My boss, or my step dad? Or will I give up on life and take a bus to San Francisco to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge? That’s my suicide plan, sadly created for being unable to function in the system.

I’m not willing to live without what I want.

By the way, our lunch is 30 minutes, not 45. Oh, I’m sorry, 31! You’d get in trouble for being a second under 31!

I clocked in at 6 AM, had until 11:45 AM at the latest to clock out for lunch. I waited because I was trying to get more work done due to the large amount of dollar today, as I’m already regularly told it should take me less than 2 hours to due 4 tubs or 2 flats, some unrealistic shit like that. Today I had people working with me, but the chicken strips also take 15 minutes to cook, so I told them to cook it at 11:30 AM, planning to clock out to lunch at 11:40 AM, I went to the bathroom to attempt to wash all the black sticky stuff off my hands. I looked at my phone right before leaving the bathroom, it wasn’t EXACTLY 11:45 AM, I walked as fast as I could to the clock, it was 11:46 AM.

Are you a fifth hour store or a sixth hour store?

If you are a fifth hour store, then your fifth hour would have been at 11:00 AM. You would have been over not 1 minute but 46 minutes.

If you are a sixth hour store, then your sixth hour would have been at 12:00 PM. 11:46 AM is not hitting meal compliance.

One fucking mistake may have set my life back even more, again, and caused severe issues at home, that have a good chance of escalating to me going to jail.

If I’m let go for poor performance when I’m trying my fucking hardest, and being told to finish 4 tubs or 2 flats in less than 2 hours BY MYSELF, I might be in handcuffs before I even leave Target. If I’m fired for clocking out one minute too lunch, I may not get mad like that since it isn’t an insult to me (being told I suck when I’m trying my best is insulting, add that to being given an unrealistic amount of time for a shit ton of shit to do BY MYSELF) but then there will still be problems at home later due to me losing another job.

My step dad will be the one to cause the hell, I need to move out, but I can’t if I can’t keep a job.

So who will I assault? My boss, or my step dad? Or will I give up on life and take a bus to San Francisco to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge? That’s my suicide plan, sadly created for being unable to function in the system.

Become a pipeline welder?

If you clocked in exactly at 6am, then you have to clock out by 12. If you clocked out at 11:45 then you're fine. You still had 15 min to go

LITERALLY ONE MINUTE over compliance is a big deal?

The most important question is. What state are you in? If you are in california you are screwed, it's actually a fireable offense in that state.

Otherwise relax, a lot depends on your store leadership. Some give a quick lecture then have you sign the book and vow to not have you do it again.

But some etl hrs care about being green and will get rid of team members who don't go to lunch on time.

As far as one minute when it comes to compliance. time doesn't matter. Whether it's one minute or 30 minutes it's still a violation.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Like, did this person seriously forget to clock out for lunch like 5+ times last month? My store has been coming up with ways to combat it because we got tired of the BS.

Our log TLs are known to forget to clock out for lunch, then do a punch correction later to avoid compliance violations. Risky and a fireable offense but I don't bother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back