Archived Will I get fired or in any trouble for going to lunch a minute late?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you a fifth hour store or a sixth hour store?

If you are a fifth hour store, then your fifth hour would have been at 11:00 AM. You would have been over not 1 minute but 46 minutes.

If you are a sixth hour store, then your sixth hour would have been at 12:00 PM. 11:46 AM is not hitting meal compliance.
We’re a 5 hour and 30 minutes store, max limit 5 hours 45 minutes after clocking in.

If you clocked in exactly at 6am, then you have to clock out by 12. If you clocked out at 11:45 then you're fine. You still had 15 min to go
I clock in at 6 AM, I have a maximum of 5 hours and 45 minutes to clock out to lunch, remember, ASANTS.

The most important question is. What state are you in? If you are in california you are screwed, it's actually a fireable offense in that state.

Otherwise relax, a lot depends on your store leadership. Some don't care have you sign the book and vow to not have you do it again. But some etl hrs care about being green and will get rid of team members who don't go to lunch on time.

As far as one minute when it comes to compliance. time doesn't matter. Whether it's one minute or 30 minutes it's still a violation.

How did you hit compliance?
I thought California was the most lenient state due to being the most liberal state. I’m in Texas, so maybe I’m ok?

I thought California was the most lenient state due to being the most liberal state.

.jpg

Btw OP this is your second post about your personal problems.

Honestly I think first and foremost you need to take care of your personal problems at home. It's hard to be a productive member of the work force when your home life is a wreck.

Some people are able to use work as a place to escape your problems but I wonder if yours are following you to work.

Next, I know retail is stressful but my brutally honest opinion is you are a good fit for the role you have. The expectations are a lot yes but you make it sound as if you are the only ones struggling to meet them.

Remember there are plenty more jobs besides retail and fast food.

Last edited:
I thought California was the most lenient state due to being the most liberal state. I’m in Texas, so maybe I’m ok?

You have it backwards. In general liberal states are more worker friendly than conservative states.

This is why certain west coast stores pay 15 an hour, give you your schedule a full two weeks in advance (on sundays) and pay you overtime for any hours worked over 8 in one day.

I clock in at 6 AM, I have a maximum of 5 hours and 45 minutes to clock out to lunch, remember, ASANTS.

Is it in your rule book and written out that you go into compliance after 5.45 hours? Or has your management just said the latest they want you clocked out by is 5 hours and 45 min?

5:45 hours for a compliance is something I've never heard of

There aren’t any 5 1/2 hr stores. Texas is 6 hours. They just tell you 5 hrs and 45 minutes to prevent compliance issues. You’re fine.
To be safe, always plan to clock out at 5 1/2 hrs though.

I’m going to look in the rule book.

I’m going to look in the rule book.
Texas is 6 Hours, but “*Some states require different meal periods for minor team members. In these states, HR will notify minors of meal periods requirements.” Someone explain that please?

I agree that the trades are a great direction to go for many people.
There are apprentice programs through the unions and two year programs through the community colleges that are great for training.
I would check out what trades are in high demand in your area first though.
The Job Services in your area can help you do that.
For a while it was all the rage to get a CDL but the marker has gotten pretty saturated in many areas and there are many light driving jobs that don't need one.

Welding is another job that was big for training in my state but that the jobs have dropped off a lot with the oil companies pulling out.
If you are willing to relocate there are many trade jobs that can pay very well.
The underwater welding is a great example of that.
I have a friend who did that for ten years and made a lot of money but she also had to fly all over the country to work.
She also got a number of injuries and is now living on disability.
That is a very tough job.

Texas is 6 Hours, but “*Some states require different meal periods for minor team members. In these states, HR will notify minors of meal periods requirements.” Someone explain that please?

Some 6 hours states, minors have to take their meal by the 5th hour.

Many states have different laws about how late minors can work on school days, how long they can work without breaks, etc.
In order to avoid breaking those laws the HR or the LOD will keep tight track of their meals and breaks.

Seems pretty self explanatory to me.

@LimitsEnd you said you are 22 in your other thread so what does the minor rule matter?
22 in a few weeks....

This may sound stupid, but I thought the word minor might have been the meaning of “small, insignificant...” like a minor job role, like one lower down the totem pole..........

Like, did this person seriously forget to clock out for lunch like 5+ times last month? My store has been coming up with ways to combat it because we got tired of the BS.

Our log TLs are known to forget to clock out for lunch, then do a punch correction later to avoid compliance violations. Risky and a fireable offense but I don't bother

There is another reason: Found out that HQ tracks stores for unusual activity, such as a high amount of missed punches. Then, they have someone talk to the STL and ETL-HR about why store leadership is so incapable of keeping things under control. :eek:

Last edited:
Actually I believe in 6 hour rule stores, the rule is actually one minute before the 6 hour mark. So you have to clock meal or out by 5 hours and 59 minutes. At 5 hours and 45 minutes, the LOD gets an alert that you are about to hit meal compliance. You want to shoot to take lunch before that. Any task you have can wait. You do not benefit the store hitting compliance because there are fines in place for anyone who goes over, even by a minute.

Actually I believe in 6 hour rule stores, the rule is actually one minute before the 6 hour mark. So you have to clock meal or out by 5 hours and 59 minutes. At 5 hours and 45 minutes, the LOD gets an alert that you are about to hit meal compliance. You want to shoot to take lunch before that. Any task you have can wait. You do not benefit the store hitting compliance because there are fines in place for anyone who goes over, even by a minute.
So I should be fine going to lunch at 11:46 AM today? I clocked in at 6 AM and they say I have until 11:45 AM to go to lunch, So is it ok that I clocked out to lunch at 11:46 AM today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back