Archived Will I get in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
today I worked 4 hours and I’m really sick and a lot of people noticed I was sick I’ve been coughing non stop & I have a fever. And I’m dizzy. Tomorrow I have a 4.5 hour shift and I don’t think I will be able to survive. This will be my first time calling off so what should I say to the lod? Or should I just leave a message?

It sounds to me you may have the flu, and if your LOD has a brain in her head, she will say "DO NOT COME IN!" Get to a doctor if you can, ASAP, as Tamiflu can help you get better quicker if you have the flu. Given how bad the flu season is this year, please stay home and take care of yourself with a bad cough & fever and don't feel at all guilty about it.

Your guests, particularly the babies and the elderly, will be grateful (even if they don't know it).

It sounds to me you may have the flu, and if your LOD has a brain in her head, she will say "DO NOT COME IN!" Get to a doctor if you can, ASAP, as Tamiflu can help you get better quicker if you have the flu. Given how bad the flu season is this year, please stay home and take care of yourself with a bad cough & fever and don't feel at all guilty about it.

Your guests, particularly the babies and the elderly, will be grateful (even if they don't know it).

This and I quote so I don't have to retype it. Doctor as quick as you can get to one.. This flu isn't playing with people..

Thirding the above (except the Tamiflu, because I've heard very mixed feedback on its efficacy). The flu shot was way off this year, from what I've heard, plus this strain is more potent or something.

I didn't bring my 5yo in for Tamiflu when he got it, because his fever was responding well to meds and he was doing OK otherwise. It took about 5 days before he was fever free, but as long as we kept up with the ibuprofen & tylenol he was OK.

If you haven't had the flu shot, I'd be more inclined to go for Tamiflu, but if you have had the flu shot it should reduce the duration & severity so it may not be needed. A couple coworkers of mine got on Tamiflu quickly and felt a lot better within a day or two vs. may days. Up to you, obviously, but please don't go in for your shift tomorrow. It's so not worth it.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. People get sick sometimes, it’s a fact of life and everyone knows it. Just call in and tell them you’re sick. They aren’t gonna bust your balls for 1 call off.

I had to do something similar to this around Thanksgiving/Black Friday. I was super sick but still went to work on Thanksgiving and was just miserable.. had to call in on Black Friday which is never ideal, but I just explained that I had been working through a terrible cold and I felt like I was gonna pass out my whole shift so I couldn’t come in for my next shift. My LOD totally understood and told me I shouldn’t have came in last night in the first place and to feel better. Don’t sweat it. Everyone gets sick. Call 2 hours before your shift or if you’re an opener set an alarm for like 4 (or whenever flow gets there) and call and ask for LOD. Just say you’re sick, that’s reallt all you have to say. LOD’s take 5-10 call-ins a day at my store so they don’t really care

DOCTOR! Tamiflu will shorten the duration of the flu and keep the virus from getting worse, so that you can heal faster. Take OTC meds for the symptoms.

Tamiflu really does work if you can catch the diagnosis within 48 hours. After that, it's a waste of money. If your TL's are smart, they'll let you call in and go to the doctor for a flu test.

Good luck and feel better!

In my area they aren’t recommending you go in to the doctor unless you are a high risk patient...all it does is spread germs more

I sent one of my cashiers (a minor) home with flu symptoms last week. My LOD didn't blink when I told her (and I did NOT ask; he looked awful and started coughing two hours into his shift).

His mother called out for him yesterday. He is still sick. I appreciate him not being there and infecting the rest of us. Being waited on/rung out by a sick TM also freaks a lot of guests out (at my store, anyway).

Target aside, you need to get well. Call out.

Good on you for sending him home.

Short of being hospitalized we don't let spouses or parents call out for people though

I had to call out for my mom a couple times since she would lose her voice so bad she could not speak when she got sick. So I get that it isn't cool but sometimes it needs to be done. Her boss thought it was BS until she came back and could only squeak for a voice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back