Archived Work relationships Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Referencing a couple of old topics like these

http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/1132-Target-Love-triangles?highlight=relationships

http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/1097-Boyfriend-wants-to-apply-for-a-job?highlight=relationships

Whats the real rule for Work Relationships. Going back to Target orientation I remember it stating that Target welcomes Work relationships. With me trying to get into AP I felt as if I had left one of these Salesfloor/Starbucks Tm's (Chicks dig cart attendants :spiteful:) advances get to me it would effect a future chance at my store.
Also not just for AP what about TMs TLs ETL's? At my store there was a Sales Floor Team leader that was living/dating someone on the sales floor. Thought it would be something interesting to talk about today ^^.

Last edited:
Some stores basically it's everybody is doing everybody...

Other stores have extremely obvious affairs going on...

Some stores keep it appropriate. People hookup, date, and if it gets serious, someone resigns or transfers.

Some stores basically it's everybody is doing everybody...

Other stores have extremely obvious affairs going on...

Some stores keep it appropriate. People hookup, date, and if it gets serious, someone resigns or transfers.

But is there there like a real I dont wanna say rule but like something in Target Workplace policy that says a certain person cannot date another co-worker if they are a TL,TPS,ETL? I know a ETL dating a Tm or TL looks bad but i wanted to get a little clarification on whats right or wrong.

Last edited:
But is there there like a real I dont wanna say rule but like something in Target Workplace policy that says a certain person cannot date another co-worker if they are a TL,TPS,ETL? I know a ETL dating a Tm or TL looks bad but i wanted to get a little clarification on whats right or wrong.

The only thing they touched on in my TL training was you're not allowed to be in a relationship with anyone that you directly supervise. As long as you're not writing their review or a leader in their workcenter, you should be good.

On a more personal note, I met my fiance on the salesfloor. We both were top performers looking to promote. The best thing we could have done for our relationship was me transferring. Romance is so much easier when you don't mix it with business. Especially when your competing with your significant other for promotions.

We have had a a couple TL's dating level one sales floor team members in the past. Me being one in the past. I dated a TL years ago. From my understanding, as long as you don't flaunt it and you are working in different work centers, they don't make a big deal about it. Not at my store at least.

I learned the hard way.... Don't dip your pen in company ink...

But there's so many young women that get hired in June and December :p. I'm starting to see it more clearly now. I think I may ask my HR some hypothetical questions, shes pretty good to talk too.

It's good as long as they don't have crazy eyes. If they have crazy eyes, it WILL go badly.

But really, it varies by store. Obviously the STL can't date anyone in the building, and ETL's shouldn't date TL's, and TL's shouldn't date TM's that they oversee. So like a Pricing TL dating a Pricing TM, no no. GSTL dating a GS TM, no no. Salesfloor TL dating a flow TM? Ok. However with you trying to do AP, that most likely has a stricter policy as you are, well, assets protection. AP is like it's own different world

It's good as long as they don't have crazy eyes. If they have crazy eyes, it WILL go badly.

But really, it varies by store. Obviously the STL can't date anyone in the building, and ETL's shouldn't date TL's, and TL's shouldn't date TM's that they oversee. So like a Pricing TL dating a Pricing TM, no no. GSTL dating a GS TM, no no. Salesfloor TL dating a flow TM? Ok. However with you trying to do AP, that most likely has a stricter policy as you are, well, assets protection. AP is like it's own different world

If there's potential for a conflict of interest, it's a no-no.

AP absolutely cannot date anybody in the store.
If you are/have dated anyone in the past, you probably won't be AP.
ETL-AP's like to hire people without ANY connections to somebody within the store (Obviously so you don't tell your friends where the cameras are.. it makes it easier to just hire externally)

OHHHHHH I HAVE STORIES!!!

AP went out with a TL. Of course they broke up and AP ended up transferring. Later the same TL started dating a TM from a different department. ETLS seemed okay with it although there were some TMs that weren't. One TM ended up getting moved to a different department after she started dating one TM. We used to have two ETLs dating but one ended up transferring to a different store. Lots of TMs in my store date each other but until someone gets moved no one really notices (well I don't because I don't care about everyone's personal life, just their work life). My TL is married to a TM on flow but she started working there way after he did and he only recently became TL. As far as I've noticed, they don't flaunt their relationship and don't do anything that would interfere with work.

I'm very iffy about dating anyone from work. First of all, if I don't want any distractions at all and second I don't want any gossip about me. I work hard every day trying to be taken seriously and it's already bad enough that because I look like I'm 14 no one does.

Work relationships are very iffy as invaderjosie said. Before I came to Target I dated a girl at a previous place I worked. Had I know she had a chemical brain imbalance that made her act (for lack of a better word) out of the ordinary; then I would never have thought to date her. So if I do decide to date anyone where I work I make sure to know them for a bit longer before taking that plunge.

We have a few TMs that "date the floor", meaning anyone who looks their way.
An ETL was shipped off to another store after he'd dated several female TMs. Turns out he'd come to us after doing it at his LAST store (low learning curve there).

In the nearly 10 years that I've been a Target I've seen many relationships come and go. Some ended in marriage, some just ended. We have a backroom TL and his wife works backroom also. They've been married for years and there never seems to be a problem. Just be discrete, and if you're really worried ask your HR or STL. It's better to be honest about it than to hope you don't get caught, because Target is worse than Melrose Place for gossip.

Think I'm just going to keep to myself . Awesome replies and stories everyone.

I think it can work if you're in different workcenters, but its really hard if you see each other a lot at work. Anyways if things go south and you have to work with that person a lot still, it can make work a living hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda wierd. Seems like all our new ETLs are engaged to another ETL at another store at our district. Otherwise, one of our ETLs hits on EVERY new girl.. and trust me there's a lot being hired for our Pfresh transition. Whether he acts on it.. I don't know.. but eh.

I love that phrase, "date the floor." I was looking for an appropriate description and yours is perfect.

I (briefly) went out with an AP team member a few years back. We didn't really make it known though. After dating 3 TM's in the many years I've been with Target, I can definitely recommend NOT doing so. Just don't.

It really doesn't matter what corporate policy is. If two people decide to get together and keep it quiet, then that is what will happen. Hell, I was sleeping with an ETL-HR for almost a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back