Archived Working DC + Store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, some of my colleagues (and myself) were curious if it was possible to work both at the DC (full-time) and at the store (part-time). Notwithstanding of the difficulties in making a feasible store-side schedule/availability, is it actually doable under company rules? I would ask HR, but I work weekend graveyard, so I almost never see them.

Possible? Yes, you would have a home store and have your payroll from the other cashed out.

Probable? No, unlikely unless the DC was in a serious bind.

No you cannot work more than 40 hours a week. So no you cannot work the dc full time and store part time.

DC's not in any trouble, just some of us are making plans for once all the Q4 OT winds down in January and we get VLE almost everyday.

No you cannot work more than 40 hours a week. So no you cannot work the dc full time and store part time.
Is that in exclusion of all our OT/extended shifts at the DC? A lot of us are averaging well over 40 (I'm currently at 44 hrs/week for the year) and probably starting next week til Jan week 1, we'll be working 72 hour weeks, if we so desire.

DC's not in any trouble, just some of us are making plans for once all the Q4 OT winds down in January and we get VLE almost everyday.

Is that in exclusion of all our OT/extended shifts at the DC? A lot of us are averaging well over 40 (I'm currently at 44 hrs/week for the year) and probably starting next week til Jan week 1, we'll be working 72 hour weeks, if we so desire.[/QUOTE
Can I get some of those hours?

Stores do not allow ot. So dc employees won't be able to work in a store unless they, for some reason, work less than 40 in the dc. No way would a store want to pay you your hourly rate at the store either. The higher the "avg pay" of a store, the more the store is looked down upon. And they will be pressured to get out some of the high paid, and replace with new blood.

Unless you're a superstar and the GVP is your neighbor, working two locations on a permanent basis would never be approved.

We aren't even given the option to transfer to the DC right by us. The DCs HR told me almost all their staffing is through a contractor, and the only way for me to work there is to quit and apply through them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Myself, and most of the Outbound department were just curious, seeing how we're scheduled (3 consecutive 12hr shifts, and 4 days off) leaves a lot of room for a second job is we really wanted one.
We aren't even given the option to transfer to the DC right by us. The DCs HR told me almost all their staffing is through a contractor, and the only way for me to work there is to quit and apply through them.
Something about this doesn't sound right. We do have temp workers that are contracted along with some locations' AP and the yard drivers (I think), but everyone else is a Target TM. Check online through the company site to see if there are openings and apply online for the transfer. It's how I got here.

What do you do at the DC? I want me some OT.
The overly simplified version of Outbound is 'everything related to getting freight to the stores'. If you want the full nitty-gritty, you can start a thread over in the DC forum, or see if there's anything already there.

Its not possible. At least, it wasn't years ago. I had a DC 10 miles from one of my stores. And asked the same question. And the was told no. It would be considered OT because you are with the same company. You would have to look for second employment.

Thanks for the responses. Myself, and most of the Outbound department were just curious, seeing how we're scheduled (3 consecutive 12hr shifts, and 4 days off) leaves a lot of room for a second job is we really wanted one.
Something about this doesn't sound right. We do have temp workers that are contracted along with some locations' AP and the yard drivers (I think), but everyone else is a Target TM. Check online through the company site to see if there are openings and apply online for the transfer. It's how I got here.

She told us all of their current staffing needs are met through Manpower and were not taking any TMs from the stores. I was there with a group of TMs from another store helping with inventory when one of them asked. I guess she could have been intentionally misleading but she made it sound next to impossible for a store TM to transfer. I know this didn't used to be the case because we had a few logistics TMs and a TL transfer a few years back.

Last edited:

Are you in Canada? Those are the only DC's I've heard of that run off exclusively contracted work. As far as not being able to transfer, I find that a little odd. considering.. I did. You just have to apply online and be approved by your TL for the transfer. I didn't even tell my TL I had applied, she just got a notice one day and was nice enough to approve me.

She told us all of their current staffing needs are met through Manpower and were not taking any TMs from the stores. I was there with a group of TMs from another store helping with inventory when one of them asked. I guess she could have been intentionally misleading but she made it sound next to impossible for a store TM to transfer. I know this didn't used to be the case because we had a few logistics TMs and a TL transfer a few years back.

She's probably just not trying to get your hopes up? My DC hasn't hired in five years and any extra staffing we need is fulfilled by temps.

So, some of my colleagues (and myself) were curious if it was possible to work both at the DC (full-time) and at the store (part-time). Notwithstanding of the difficulties in making a feasible store-side schedule/availability, is it actually doable under company rules? I would ask HR, but I work weekend graveyard, so I almost never see them.

The answer your looking for is.... ARE YOU $*@&ing CRAZY!? /bender

Last edited:
way back in my Target days, we had some seasonal temps come in that worked at our local store, then worked A2 at the DC. Didn't really work out to well, something about Target not wanting to give them time off to go work at Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back