Archived Working one day a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a another thread I had mentioned that I will be leaving Spot soon once my training is over at Direct TV. My training will be M-F (all being 8 hour days), and I put in my change of availability requests today, and in the comments, I put "new opportunity has arisen". My question is will they only let me work one day a week during this training period (note I am only doing this to earn a bit of extra cash up until I quit Spot) or will they just want me to resign?

We have people who only work 1 day a week.
It all depends on how well you get along with your ETL's
They will have at least one person they know will always show up for that shift, won't mess around and will do a good job so it might be worth it to them.

In a another thread I had mentioned that I will be leaving Spot soon once my training is over at Direct TV. My training will be M-F (all being 8 hour days), and I put in my change of availability requests today, and in the comments, I put "new opportunity has arisen". My question is will they only let me work one day a week during this training period (note I am only doing this to earn a bit of extra cash up until I quit Spot) or will they just want me to resign?

One of my friends worked for Direct TV. You may as well just quit Target now - Direct TV will *not* work around your Target schedule. My friend was required to work 50+ hour weeks and almost every day had to stay over extra with no notice. Direct TV is a serious full time job. After training, you are not going to have set hours there. My friend worked there for over a year, and he was working so many crazy hours he quit when his wife threatened to leave him over it.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about quitting Target anymore. You are going to be making a hell of a lot more money at Direct V.

FYI - congrats. It's a good job, my friend made bank there..... just don't expect to have a life.

Last edited:
We have one hardlines tm who works only Sunday. Zones and refills the salesfloor

they started cracking down on this at my store. We'd constantly get new hires that would work a summer or a semester, and then only be able to work saturdays or sundays. We have quite a few of them left, but they quit allowing team members to change their availability like that.

Thanks for the support guys. I had told a couple TL's that I wouldn't be around much anymore in a month, because I had gotten an offer for employment. They looked surprised, as if they were going to ask "but don't you like working here?" What did you think I was going to do, make this a career? So I will be putting in my two weeks notice next week. After giving it some thought, why work on Saturdays when I could be enjoying my weekends off during training and it wouldnt be hardly a paycheck, because I know they would just stick me with a 5 hour midshift.

@StateofTarget. Yea I know, they said during my interview for the call center at Direct TV (well the company I am being employed with is TRG (an outsourcing company that hires people for AT&T, Direct TV, etc...) that my schedule would vary week to week depending on shift bids/company needs. So yes I am employed with Direct TV but my primary employer is TRG. But hey at $11 an hour with full time hours statues, benefits and free cable, can't beat that with the economy right now.

You're happy with $11 an hour? With all due respect $11 is hardly living wage still. But either way good job moving a step above Target basic pay.

"@StateofTarget. Yea I know, they said during my interview for the call center at Direct TV (well the company I am being employed with is TRG (an outsourcing company that hires people for AT&T, Direct TV, etc...) that my schedule would vary week to week depending on shift bids/company needs. So yes I am employed with Direct TV but my primary employer is TRG. But hey at $11 an hour with full time hours statues, benefits and free cable, can't beat that with the economy right now."

Sorry, I thought you were doing the installs at peoples homes. That is the job you make bank at. (my friend was making about $25/hour) Get out of the call center if you can and get the installer job....

I started my F/T job back in September, and I'm still working at Target on the weekends. Sometimes I work both Sat and Sun, but most weekends, they just have me working Ad/Instocks Sunday mornings, and it works out nicely for both sides. They have someone who always works the ad on Sunday (consistency), and I still get to work one day at Target. It's win win!

Unfortunately there are not technician jobs available at the moment :/ I mean I know this call center job is so so, but I just need something Full Time with a higher wage and needed to get out of Target, so if that means taking a call center job until something opens up in my field, then well as they say "gotta follow the money"

I hope it works out for you,but at least in the short to medium term you will be making a lot more and that is the most important thing these days as it actually allows you to make plans based on your pay check.

Update: My one day a week request was denied. I wasn't holding out much on it though. The comment was something along the lines of "not sure if we can work with this, we need to talk". And thats when I gave my notice to HR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back