Archived Would you give up pay for the ability to make your own schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how this would work at a retail level.... store needs to be staffed. What if all but a handful of TMs want 9-5? That handful gets stuck with all other hours and nothing but? It's interesting but I don't see how it'd end up fair on a large scale. I'm not with spot full time anymore, and even in corporate world I don't really make my own schedule.

Reactions: Him
I'm not sure how this would work at a retail level.... store needs to be staffed. What if all but a handful of TMs want 9-5? That handful gets stuck with all other hours and nothing but? It's interesting but I don't see how it'd end up fair on a large scale. I'm not with spot full time anymore, and even in corporate world I don't really make my own schedule.
Yeah I guess it only can work with certain TL's and those who are the only one in their department. Only reason I ask is because I left Target taking a pay cut for the same position so I could pick my hours and days off

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think that would fly because everyone would ask as the op said, 8-4, 9-5, never work weekends, off every holiday, Monday-Thurs, etc. Also some TM's, and even some leaders would max out their hours before the weeks finished and you would have 0 coverage for weekends...(Busisest time for Retail mind you).

I have a couple of tms who basically make their own schedules. They are awesome team members who always show up and do a great job. I have never said no to any time off requests from them. That said, they know that weekends are part of retail, although they do have specific shifts they work on weekends.

I pretty much already have the ideal schedule. The only thing I would change would be switching to 4 days of 10-hour shifts instead of 5 days of 8 hours. But an extra day off isn't worth a pay cut.

I don't get paid more for having open availability so no, I wouldn't take a paycut to work a custom schedule. :confused:

The question asked is a rhetorical question....about the pay and the hours.
Me, while losing .50 an hour is a lot, I'd be willing to write my own schedule.

Now, if we were to be given a few parameters to follow then I bet that more people would consider taking a pay cut. For example....each person would have to have at least one opening shift, one closing shift, and two weekends a month.

It would be interesting to see how things would work out.

Now, if we were to be given a few parameters to follow then I bet that more people would consider taking a pay cut. For example....each person would have to have at least one opening shift, one closing shift, and two weekends a month.

You mean like a TL?

I would. After taxes and what not, I'm making less now than I was a dollar ago anyway. I do the math for almost every check to see if it's still the same because I use the number to make a budget estimate before the stub goes up. It's been consistent, but I did just enroll in the 401k so it's probably gonna look a little different now.

Anyway, I wouldn't even be awful with a custom schedule. I'd really just want my days off to rotate sorta. I'd want one weekend per month or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back