Archived Writing the schedule, any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antivibe

Salesfloor TL
I'm the Softlines TL and I have been writing the schedule for my workcenter for a couple of weeks.
However, I don't think I'm scheduling as effectively as I can. Does anyone have any tips for writing salesfloor schedules?

At the moment, I am given on average 240 hours for softlines and fitting room combined - this does not include VA. It used to be lower but now that summer is approaching we have gotten swamped with traffic.

How many openers do you schedule during the week? How many closers? How long are they scheduled for?
What do you change for weekend scheduling?

What volume are you?
Are you saying that the 240 includes VA or excludes it?

You get on average, 4-ish full shits per day.
I would do
One opening- fitting room
One opening- VA (Or SL if VA hours are somehow different?)
One mid- SL
One Close SL/FR
If hours permit toss in another shorter closing shift.

When you write the schedule, first write in your weekend closers. Then write in your weekday closers. Then with the rest of your hours, write in your weekend openers/mids followed by your weekday openers/mids. Softlines gets trashed on weekends, so schedule accordingly! For weekends my store has 1 opener, 2-3 mids and 4-5 closers. For weekdays we schedule 1 opener, 1-2 mids and 4 closers. All stores are obviously not the same. I'm at an AA volume. But the principle remains: write your weekend closers, then weekday closers, then openers/mids.

My store's closers come in staggered; the later they come in, the easier the dept they get. The last closer comes in at 6-3:30 and gets the easiest dept, which for my store is Men's and Activewear.

Also look into your payroll breakdown to see if other areas are getting way more payroll than they need. For example, at my old store, Cart Attendants were getting almost 100 hours more than they needed for their coverage, so those extra hours went to softlines.

Those are some miscellaneous tips off the top of my head. If you have any other questions, lemme know.

My store is borderline A/B I believe. We've been keeping the same scheduling for the past year or so. I recently started altering it.

Before: We had two openers, 1 SL and 1 FR. Both come in at 8am and both leave at 4pm. We had 1FR come in at 4pm and stay until 11pm, we then had two closers come in at 7pm (Sometimes 5pm) and leave at 11pm. This utilizes 16 hrs during the day and 16 hours during the evening.
Recently: I became in charge of the schedule. I have 1 FR come in at 8am and SL come in at 9/10am. I also cut the morning FR by 2 hours. I use the cut hours for a mid or extra closer.

The recent changes I've done a bit slowly. My team is awful with change they think everything is perfect as it was. We did see a spike in our guest survey scores. We have been consistently green ever since I changed the scheduling.

Thanks @MrGlobal , I like your tips.

How does your store breakout the softlines zone? What are the tasks of the opener/closers? What does your fitting room person do?

@JimmyTarget the 240 don't include my VA hours. I get VA hours separately but I usually have to pull from my SL hours if I am not given enough - which is always.

How does your store breakout the softlines zone? What are the tasks of the opener/closers? What does your fitting room person do?
Instead of saying "all stores are not the same" throughout this post, I'm just going to give advice as if it were for my store. If you're not in a year-round beach store like I am, Ready-to-Wear might not be the monster it is at my store because you don't get swimsuit traffic, etc.

My softlines breakout (in order of difficulty, hardest first) is 1) Ready-to-wear 2) Boys, girls and infants 3) Shoes and intimates 4) Men's and activewear. Like I said, whoever will be doing the hardest dept comes in earliest (RTW at 4:30) and the easiest comes in latest (Men's and active at 6-6:30). Obviously put your strongest people in the harder areas unless you are trying to performance someone out; put a bottom performer in RTW and the resulting nightly zone will be a PDD handed to you. When they come in they go to the fitting room for their assignment, along with grabbing their strays. Between shoes/intimates and men's activewear, whoever is done first will go over to accessories.

The task of openers will vary based on the dept's needs. Maybe they need to audit mannequins (make the outfits on mannequins more obviously available, change mannequins out if you're heading into a weekend and you don't have enough of the mannequin clothes to sustain sales, etc.) Maybe the closing team left basics for last and it's a disaster (to ensure this happen, at 10PM every night, my team hits basics for their respective depts.) Maybe it's zoning/working out jewelry. Maybe it's running strays from the night before -- which is usually the case. My mids exclusively run strays unless something else big comes up that needs to be addressed. In comparison to hardlines, softlines gets MASSIVELY more strays, so my dayside team is essentially there to guest service, do the occasional pickup if an area gets shopped hard, and to ensure that my closing team isn't overwhelmed with strays so that they can get a decent zone in.

Closers are there to zone, and run strays. Coming clean on strays and with a good zone is ideal, but your success on that will vary with the strength of your team. When my closers come in, they do a zone of the outside of their area (to maintain brand and have the area be inviting to guests --> driving sales.) Then they move through their area from one end to the other. Some closers will kind of bounce from bad area to bad area: strongly discourage this! That strategy makes it really hard to see at a glance where they're at in their zone, which is important so you can (1) see their pace and (2) determine if they're falling behind, so that someone from one of the easier areas could help out when done.

Fitting room is there to process rewrap and salvage, sort strays and check guests in and out of the fitting room. Rewrap and salvage should be done as it comes in; rewrap should then go immediately back with the right dept's strays, and salvage should be condensed and then FR should regularly call a cart attendant over to pick it up. Strays should be sorted into the dept's 3-tier for folded and z-rack for hanging. A huge part of sorting strays is for them to sort it by brand according to how the dept flows! If RTW moves from Mossimo Red to Mossimo Black, the strays on the rack should be sorted that way. Having the RTW TM sort the rack after FR has already "sorted" it is double work, and a huge waste. FR should also walk the fitting room every hour to check for empty packages.

Also remember that softlines much more than hardlines is a juggling game. If, at 8PM, you feel like you're doing better on zone than you are in strays, shift your focus

I think I touched on everything I wanted to. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton for the detailed reply @MrGlobal !
I've been in softlines for roughly 3 months now and I still feel like a newb. My store is nowhere near as busy yours but
seing how you breakout tasks has given me some ideas.
THANK YOU!

Or if you're ULV and you have one person to close after 4:30..... and zone everything..... and be operator.... and keep the fitting room clean.... and keep stray clean.... hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back