Archived WTF apparently I'm a GSA now :/ ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back, one of the team leaders asked me if I'd be interested in moving up at Target. No specifics, just "Are you interested in moving up at Target?" I said yes, because I want money and I'm tired of working two part time jobs. Well, I didn't hear anything else about it.

Fast forward to today. Two weeks out on the latest schedule, I've got two GSA shifts. What. The. Fuck? No one said anything to me about this. No one specifically asked if I wanted to be a GSA or if I was still interested in moving up. They seem to have just randomly thrown me some shifts. I do NOT want to be a GSA because I think it's a crap job. I see what they have to put up with, and I don't think I can manage it. Plus, I'm scared of the guests, especially the criminal ones and the angry, bitchy ones. Plus, I have zero GSA training and would have no idea what to do! Just because I know service desk doesn't mean I can be a GSA!

I don't know what to do!

Just wing it, our store is certain it's an easy position that requires no training. That's why we hire 23 year olds with zero retail experience to be GSA's :p

I'm sorry. GSA is a weird in between position that's pretty awful for everyone involved. Ask your ETLs to figure out what's going on.

I am about 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure you have to interview for GSA????

what.

Depends on the store sometimes.
Some stores treat it as a coveted position that one must interview for while others treat it like the prize for the ugliest dog contest ("Congrats! You're a winner!" "Ah no, thanks....really").

My store likes to hire new cashiers who are really great, and then make them compete for GSA. All the old time cashiers sit back and laugh. I've seen at least four new GSAs realize what the position is afterwards and want out. A current new one wants to move to Starbucks. I think she'd actually get a raise if she did that, which is sad for GSAs.

I got "the talk" about a year into cashiering by an ETL, "how would you like to be a GSA? You'll get a raise and better hours! What do you say?"

I lol'd right there, "You probably catch a lot of cashiers with that speech but I'm not interested. You might convince a couple of the younger cashiers though "

That year we went through three GSTLs and five GSAs. It was such a shit job in my store, all the responsibility and so little pay off. Have yet to regret that decision.

@ZombiePanties31 it's a vital job in many stores as a stepping stone to TL positions. You said yes you wanted to move up, and they did exactly what you agreed to.

Is it a lot of work for small pay? Yes... But I did it for almost 2 years, and it definitely has its perks over any other TM position.

If you know cashier and service desk, you are definitely qualified, and it is not a hard job to pickup and learn (with a few exceptions). Though it can take some time to master. I transitioned from Carts to GSA with no Service Desk training and I was fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a lot of work for small pay? Yes... But I did it for almost 2 years, and it definitely has its perks over any other TM position.

Such as?

Note, I'm not saying it doesn't, this is a genuine question, it is a position I am interested in, but one of our Sr. TL's seems to be offering me another position, which would have the same pay, but not sure which position I'd like more, (she seems to want me to work as a Electronics TM, which as I understand is the same paygrade as GSA, and is like GSA one of the few TM positions that can include supervisor #'s which for me is a large plus, not because I want "power" to abuse, but because I just really dislike having to pester people to come over and help me on a regular basis and would like the freedom to simply do things myself more often), but I'm more familiar with GSA of the two, and think it's the one I'd prefer despite all its responsibility.

Such as?

Note, I'm not saying it doesn't, this is a genuine question, it is a position I am interested in, but one of our Sr. TL's seems to be offering me another position, which would have the same pay, but not sure which position I'd like more, (she seems to want me to work as a Electronics TM, which as I understand is the same paygrade as GSA, and is like GSA one of the few TM positions that can include supervisor #'s which for me is a large plus, not because I want "power" to abuse, but because I just really dislike having to pester people to come over and help me on a regular basis and would like the freedom to simply do things myself more often), but I'm more familiar with GSA of the two, and think it's the one I'd prefer despite all its responsibility.

GSA has more opportunities to sell yourself as a leader. Plus you (hopefully) have a team you can delegate to, making your job easier sometimes. On good days I could have my entire team do 95% of the work freeing me up to work on my captainships, or take on extra projects. Or if you're just having a bad day (sick/etc.) just do nothing.

I liked GSA more than Electronics personally. I was a GSA at a high vol store (super-t) though and electronics at a lower vol (pfresh). I did get supervisor numbers as elec though (was handy), since I would fill in for sick GSAs sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
GSA has more opportunities to sell yourself as a leader. Plus you (hopefully) have a team you can delegate to, making your job easier sometimes. On good days I could have my entire team do 95% of the work freeing me up to work on my captainships, or take on extra projects. Or if you're just having a bad day (sick/etc.) just do nothing.

I liked GSA more than Electronics personally. I was a GSA at a high vol store (super-t) though and electronics at a lower vol (pfresh). I did get supervisor numbers as elec though (was handy), since I would fill in for sick GSAs sometimes.

Luckily I quite like the vast majority of my team members, so that would indeed be a draw of GSA for me, I get along with them, they respect me, I have no doubts they'd do what was necessary to help me out when/if needed.

I wonder though somewhat in our store if GSA is really something they promote often. We have three GSA's and 1 GSTL, one of the GSA's is still being trained, the other two have worked here for years and years. I'm not sure though if they lack interest in being promoted, or if my store just doesn't consider them to be leadership material and/or doesn't often promote GSA's. I know the GSTL mentioned to me that they'd likely be looking for a second GSTL soon, but I can't imagine they'd promote me from Cashier to GSTL without being GSA first as a stepping stone, unless both GSA's (the two that aren't brand new) have absolutely no interest whatsoever in being made GSTL.

Such as?

Please take note that this in no way, shape or form applies to GSA at a low volume store. That wonderful team? On a good day it's 3 other people, all 3 of whom are constantly inundated with other tasks and guests to have any time to do anything you delegate them to anyway. In my (D-volume p-fresh) store, it was by far the shittiest and most overworked and underpaid position in the store. Was great for moving up from...except that with AE2014 there were no positions to move up to, ever. Any TL position was filled by someone who was already a TL playing musical chairs before the music ended.

If you're at a low volume store it's basically a trap of a position that you should never take unless you hate yourself. Only thing I have to thank GSA for is making me realize what a horrible job working at Target really was, and motivate me to get my ass the hell out of there. I'm hardly working a dream job now, but I get weekends and holidays off, a regular schedule during the week, and I'm treated like an adult human being by the leadership at my firm.

A while back, one of the team leaders asked me if I'd be interested in moving up at Target. No specifics, just "Are you interested in moving up at Target?" I said yes, because I want money and I'm tired of working two part time jobs. Well, I didn't hear anything else about it.

Fast forward to today. Two weeks out on the latest schedule, I've got two GSA shifts. What. The. Fuck? No one said anything to me about this. No one specifically asked if I wanted to be a GSA or if I was still interested in moving up. They seem to have just randomly thrown me some shifts. I do NOT want to be a GSA because I think it's a crap job. I see what they have to put up with, and I don't think I can manage it. Plus, I'm scared of the guests, especially the criminal ones and the angry, bitchy ones. Plus, I have zero GSA training and would have no idea what to do! Just because I know service desk doesn't mean I can be a GSA!

I don't know what to do!
I would suggest talking to your ETL and GSTL to see what is going on. it could be a mistake or they want to train you.

What's low volume in your eyes Cel? ie. We're B, which is higher than the D you referenced obviously, but still certainly low compared to say A+++.

I did get supervisor numbers as elec though (was handy), since I would fill in for sick GSAs sometimes.

My ETL-SF says that this isn't possible. I've read before (on here) that electronics TMs CAN be given supervisor numbers in the system, so now I'm confused.

I did get supervisor numbers as elec though (was handy), since I would fill in for sick GSAs sometimes.

My ETL-SF says that this isn't possible. I've read before (on here) that electronics TMs CAN be given supervisor numbers in the system, so now I'm confused.

I can confirm I did receive it, was an option from day one. Go to gstl>tm status, and see if it shows up. Your etl may be clueless about pos (most are).

Lol our ETL-HR didn't even know you couldn't give a cashier supervisor numbers. I'll try to investigate this further.

What's low volume in your eyes Cel? ie. We're B, which is higher than the D you referenced obviously, but still certainly low compared to say A+++.

I think technically ULV describes C or D volume. B would still be low volume as far as I know, just not Ultra Low Volume. What it really comes down to is the individual store. How they allocate payroll for the front end in response to the workload. My store had some of the very worst front end payroll I've read about on these boards. No Cart Attendant hours for 10 months of the year, guest services closing at 8 PM every night, 1 cashier after 7-8 PM, etc. So you'll probably have it better than that, but if your foot traffic volume (not so much sales volume, as that's just a metric used to try and quantify things by target and isn't 1:1 with bodies in the store) is a lot higher than the payroll they give you, it'll be an unpleasant experience.

Lol our ETL-HR didn't even know you couldn't give a cashier supervisor numbers. I'll try to investigate this further.

I know you indeed can't, but I have wondered in the past, why limit supervisor access based on MAX codes? Is it so a cashier can't walk up to a register the GSTL logged into and walked away from and give themselves supervisor access?

Other than scenarios like that, I don't see why it shouldn't be left up to the discretion of the stores leaders who does and doesn't need supervisor access.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back