Archived WTF apparently I'm a GSA now :/ ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my store they use GSA as a stepping stone position. I was just made a GSA, which im ok with cuz I got a raise and they can't afford to put me up front more than 1 or 2 days a week, apparently im needed too much everywhere else. In the 5 shifts I work this week im scheduled electronics, GSA, POGs, and Backroom.

Well, I asked HR about it, and they were sort of tight lipped about why that happened (me being scheduled as GSA). I asked another Team Lead, who was surprised and concerned, and the shifts were supposed to be "fixed," but guess what? I'm still scheduled as GSA. Not happy. And of course, no mention of a raise or pay differential for those shifts. I'm beginning to really dislike my store, and I did not used to. They really need to get their act together.

Well, I asked HR about it, and they were sort of tight lipped about why that happened (me being scheduled as GSA). I asked another Team Lead, who was surprised and concerned, and the shifts were supposed to be "fixed," but guess what? I'm still scheduled as GSA. Not happy. And of course, no mention of a raise or pay differential for those shifts. I'm beginning to really dislike my store, and I did not used to. They really need to get their act together.
Unless its a consistent pattern that meets or exceeds 50% of your shifts, you won't get a pay raise. If they think you're high potential and want to schedule you there once in a while, they can do that.

They might be testing you, but if you're giving them grief about it right away (I'd understand if its been ongoing for a while), they're going to think you aren't a team player, and will probably throw you to the curb. Just saying.

Unless its a consistent pattern that meets or exceeds 50% of your shifts, you won't get a pay raise. If they think you're high potential and want to schedule you there once in a while, they can do that.

They might be testing you, but if you're giving them grief about it right away (I'd understand if its been ongoing for a while), they're going to think you aren't a team player, and will probably throw you to the curb. Just saying.

Throw me to the curb? As in fire me? For protesting unwanted shifts in a work center I'm not even trained for?

The part that stands out as odd to me regarding scheduling a cashier as a GSA without giving them a raise means they are also making them a neutered GSA, who has to call a team lead over regularly for supervisor overrides, since you can't give a cashier supervisor #'s, and any MAX # that'd give access to said #'s should be an automatic raise.

Throw me to the curb? As in fire me? For protesting unwanted shifts in a work center I'm not even trained for?

You don't need to be trained in a workcenter to work in it, at least not on a temporary basis. And by thrown to the curb, I more mean along the lines of not being given opportunities for advancement, less hours, etc.

At my second store, I was never "trained" how to be a GSA at that store, and I got blindly scheduled for it on several occasions. I worked Electronics usually, and never worked up front so I had no idea how they did things and had to learn on the fly. Did I complain to my HR? No. I just did the best I could and tried to learn as I went.

At my first store I was scheduled Backroom once and I never was trained on it. My GSTL said he told the BRTL they could schedule me to fill one of their gaps, and he chose me because I have a good work ethic and am good at learning new things. I didn't really get any training back there except a 5 minute tutorial on how to do CAFS, SUBT, and STO.

By showing interest in working in other areas outside of my Primary Workcenter (or position), I was able to learn new areas and get myself more hours! I never had under 40.00 hours for 1.5 years at my first Target store because I knew so many areas, and on many occasions received Overtime when sales were positive for the month.

Maybe your store thinks you have potential and that's why they scheduled you. I don't understand why you are so opposed to this at all. I would understand if they made you do it every single week on a constant basis with no raise/promotion, but that's about it..

I am opposed to this because I am scared and intimidated by the GSA position. I do not feel comfortable doing the tasks that GSAs do and dealing with the problems that GSAs must address. I am also angry that I was not consulted before being scheduled for another position.

I don't care if they reduce my hours. I hate working there anyway.

I am opposed to this because I am scared and intimidated by the GSA position. I do not feel comfortable doing the tasks that GSAs do and dealing with the problems that GSAs must address. I am also angry that I was not consulted before being scheduled for another position.

I don't care if they reduce my hours. I hate working there anyway.
Ok well you have bigger problems then. This is a nonissue for most people.

No need to be dismissive of them. Things which may not be an issue for you might be an issue for someone else.

Not being dismissive -- maybe I came across a bit blunt, however the OP just sounds generally unhappy at their store, which I can empathize with. The only solution is to quit and find another job (something I've found out the hard way).

I was more getting around to the point that its normal for Target to move people around a bit, and be flexible. In my almost 2 years as GSA I've seen Service Desk/Cashiers get scheduled to GSA on very rare occurences. Sometimes there just isn't anyone to schedule and it calls for desperate measures, most of the time it isn't a permanent thing. There really isn't anything terribly wrong with this. Pretty much all of those TMs who got to "fill in" were able to promote into better positions, or get on the TL bench.

We had one cashier girl who did it once in a while and would cover our breaks a LOT. We tried to get her a GSA spot, which she didn't get, but long story short she ended up getting a Photo Position (.25 raise), and then straight to Team Leader after that.

Sorry if I come across as negative, but there is a lot of good that can come from being a team player and being flexible, especially if you like your job at Spot and want to move up. I was merely trying to explain to the OP that their leadership probably thinks highly of them, and was surprised that they were so adamant against doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think in the year and a half I've been at my store they've ever intentionally scheduled a cashier to do a GSA shift. I have seen them schedule various TL's though to be GSA's for shifts, Only seen cashiers do GSA shifts though when GSA's called off.

Don't think in the year and a half I've been at my store they've ever intentionally scheduled a cashier to do a GSA shift. I have seen them schedule various TL's though to be GSA's for shifts, Only seen cashiers do GSA shifts though when GSA's called off.
Our signing guy got a GSA shift once. Once. Our FATL also got one because EVERY GSA and GSTL took the weekend off when our SLTL got married.

Just wing it, our store is certain it's an easy position that requires no training. That's why we hire 23 year olds with zero retail experience to be GSA's :p
and that's why we hire 21 year olds with 0 experience to be ETL's

I'm not a gsa, but I fill in for them and gstl's if they need me - I need the hours to keep my health ins - so it is fine with me. What I don't understand is that when I am opening or closing, they never give me a mid and I have to hunt down TL's to cover my breaks, yet when GSTL or GSA is on they almost always have mid's.. There is something drastically wrong with this whole scenario.

keep your fingers crossed that something works out for me next month (not target related) and I can let them know that they don't have to give me so many shifts. A nice little part time gig at Target would be great. That's what I had signed up for in the first place..They have eaten my soul and sucked me in to the insanity.

how do you know what volume your store is? is it posted anywhere or do I have to ask someone. it's probably something I should know already.

how do you know what volume your store is? is it posted anywhere or do I have to ask someone. it's probably something I should know already.

Workbench, store fact sheet. I can't remember how to find it offhand. Something under Store Reports.

It's also on the pull types report under store reports.

Or just ask any LOD. They'll tell you what volume you are and how that compares to other stores in the district.

Workbench, store fact sheet. I can't remember how to find it offhand. Something under Store Reports.

Yes. The Store Reports page is divided into sections, and the Store Fact Sheet is in the Store section (as opposed to Front End, Instocks, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back