Archived Yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today i was training with a new kid on an unexpected day, not sure how long he has been with. I was pushing a flat at the front of the store and trying to get the attention of a guest (because it was her product) and i wanted to ring up at guest service, then carry out for her - show the new guy how to do a carry out b/c he's hardlines and may need to one day. As I'm trying to get the attention of the guest, the GSTL asks me to backup. I told him i can't since I'm going to ring up this guest, and then he said my trainee should go back up. I told him he couldn't since he was with me, i had no clue how long he's been there and I wanted to go carry out for the guest, but she ended up putting the item in her cart. He got mad for me this later. Bad or no on my part?

You and your trainee were providing excellent guest services - the #1 priority of spot. I'm also with SurefireWolf. The GSTL's call for backup constantly and then keep you on the register even when the lines have only 1 waiting. I've had one say to me, I'm going to keep you here because you're good at getting Red Cards and we need some today....... They've also called me by name to back-up. I'm a team player, but if I wanted a F/T cashier job that is what I would have requested.

GSTLs fantasize about being prison wardens. If one of our GSTLs had her way everyone would be on a register all day long and she'd be happy as a clam. (She's even called for backup when every register is occupied.)
You and your trainee were providing excellent guest services - the #1 priority of spot. I'm also with SurefireWolf. The GSTL's call for backup constantly and then keep you on the register even when the lines have only 1 waiting. I've had one say to me, I'm going to keep you here because you're good at getting Red Cards and we need some today....... They've also called me by name to back-up. I'm a team player, but if I wanted a F/T cashier job that is what I would have requested.
Well that's definitely not true for all GSTLS, my GSTL hates calling for back up and always thanks us 1000 times when we come up. She'll have us take 2 or 3 guests and then she'll turn off our light and stand in front of our lane. She understands that we have things to do. She even writes us those little notes that you can turn in for a prize when we help with backups sometimes.

Well that's definitely not true for all GSTLS, my GSTL hates calling for back up and always thanks us 1000 times when we come up. She'll have us take 2 or 3 guests and then she'll turn off our light and stand in front of our lane. She understands that we have things to do. She even writes us those little notes that you can turn in for a prize when we help with backups sometimes.
You get prizes!?

Why didn't you just put the carry-out item in the cart. It apparently fit there anyway

1) If back-up was truly needed, give the trainee to the GSTL. The carry-out lesson can wait.

2) If the GSTL was crying wolf, kick them in the shins and get on with the carry-out.

well maybe don't actually kick them...

If the guest was checking out and the carry out was immediate and a team lift, then you are correct.

If a guest wants to wheel the item outside in their cart, then let them.

A lesson on carry outs is not high priority and training is not necessary. Then give them the trainee if they are trained for the registers.

People can fill out these little post-it's when they appreciate something someone did and then you can save up the post-it's and turn them in for like a free icee, free sbux etc
The only things my store gives me is a lousy shout-out over the walkie and a hard time...

Only training I got for a carry out was "Tyro come over here to bring this out to a guest's car don't let them touch the flat or we can get sued good luck!"

I was helping the CA load up a trestle table (fully-assembled display, clearanced & sold) into a guys SUV.
We were taking it slowly because it was a tight fit so the guest comes around & SHOVES it in, ripping the headliner in his car.
CA & I were just 'Alrighty, then' & left him on his own as we took the flat back in.

They didn't receive the special carry-out training.

I was helping the CA load up a trestle table (fully-assembled display, clearanced & sold) into a guys SUV.
We were taking it slowly because it was a tight fit so the guest comes around & SHOVES it in, ripping the headliner in his car.
CA & I were just 'Alrighty, then' & left him on his own as we took the flat back in.

You did it right, if the owner wants to destroy his car - on him.

I hate to be that guy but it's fairly easy to learn how to put something in someone's car on your own time. I hope your trainee has had to ever load furniture, a TV, or anything in his car or another car, otherwise then he's clueless haha. I never have gotten trained or talked to about how to load a car up. For the most part, you just do whatever the customer tells you to do and use common sense. Don't do anything questionable, be confident in what you're about to do to minimize the risk of damaging the car.

Ever try to load a grill into a little 1991 Corolla? Now THAT'S hard. I'm not even sure if it was a Corolla... it was a really little compact car from the 90's and I'm sure the guest used that car to buy a massive charcoal grill just to fuck with me and my other cart attendant. He was all "Oh can we take it out of box and we can leave the box with you guys?" and you know, then he can't ever return it, but he didn't care. He still had to make two trips to grab the fuckin' top part of the grill and a few more panels.

But like I said, your trainee should be able to use cognitive, critical, and common sense thinking skills to his advantage here. If it won't fit, don't do it, adapt to the situation, and lift what you can lift, and don't hurt yourself. I tried to get a team lift once to lift a grill into a truck bed but no one in my store even replied, just ignored me. The ladies that were there weren't much help. I was pretty peeved and I gathered the energy to just hoist it in there, my back wasn't that good after that for a few days, it kind of hurt. It helps to lift correctly, but I can barely deadlift 100lbs, and the grill was probably 300+lbs.

I didn't damage anything hardly, I must of just stretched or tore the muscle a little bit, healed in about a week + ibuprofen helps.

Once its his, its on him/hers how to load it. So if they want to destroy a piece of their car, its not on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back