Archived 1 Min Huddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you guys help me get creative with keeping my 1 minute huddles productive but still not sounding scripty?

These are the things I feel like I have to touch on: genuine interactions, cashier empowerment (let's not call the GSA over for $1), stepping out, greeting guests, educating them about cartwheel and the red card

When a cashier starts their shift, I usually start off by saying hi, asking how their day's going, how their mom's been, the small talk. I'll let them know approximate times for their breaks and then we'll move onto updating them about how we're doing with red cards thus far in the day. Then I'll skip over to letting them know about some good coupons that are on cartwheel this week since they're good triggers. For example, today I was telling them about how again and Tide laundry detergent is 5% off on carthwheel and women's jewelry is still 20% off so if you see a guest buying these items, it's a great opportunity to see if they already know about cartwheel! Then I'll remind them to make sure they're stepping out and genuinely greeting guests. I feel like I don't touch on red cards enough and I obviously know that I should. My GSTL's suggestion is to ask to hear their promotion of the red card. We obviously don't want our cashiers to just ask if a guest is saving 5% today, we want them to educate guests and read body language! I've thought about maybe each huddle having a good conversation about different triggers to look for (checks = debit! Hey do you pay for those checks?! Save them! Or *guest fumbling through 1 million receipts at guest service* hey let's simplify your life with the red card! It'll look up receipts for you!").

Any advice guys?

Can you guys help me get creative with keeping my 1 minute huddles productive but still not sounding scripty?

These are the things I feel like I have to touch on: genuine interactions, cashier empowerment (let's not call the GSA over for $1), stepping out, greeting guests, educating them about cartwheel and the red card

When a cashier starts their shift, I usually start off by saying hi, asking how their day's going, how their mom's been, the small talk. I'll let them know approximate times for their breaks and then we'll move onto updating them about how we're doing with red cards thus far in the day. Then I'll skip over to letting them know about some good coupons that are on cartwheel this week since they're good triggers. For example, today I was telling them about how again and Tide laundry detergent is 5% off on carthwheel and women's jewelry is still 20% off so if you see a guest buying these items, it's a great opportunity to see if they already know about cartwheel! Then I'll remind them to make sure they're stepping out and genuinely greeting guests. I feel like I don't touch on red cards enough and I obviously know that I should. My GSTL's suggestion is to ask to hear their promotion of the red card. We obviously don't want our cashiers to just ask if a guest is saving 5% today, we want them to educate guests and read body language! I've thought about maybe each huddle having a good conversation about different triggers to look for (checks = debit! Hey do you pay for those checks?! Save them! Or *guest fumbling through 1 million receipts at guest service* hey let's simplify your life with the red card! It'll look up receipts for you!").

Any advice guys?

Maybe you can "create" your own acronym that is "universal" to all your cashiers : G.R.E.A.T service ( Greet your Guest, Redcard, Empowerment, ..... you can figure out the rest (;)). With repetition of your new acronym, G.R.E.A.T becomes your daily expectation. Once that short-cut is established, you can quickly refer to it, and give yourself a little more time to focus on each individual cashier's opportunities without sounding robotic.

You have cashier huddles? Wow, impressive!

This is how it goes at my store: clock in, go to Service desk, find break card, ask what lane, go to lane, turn on blinker, start 6-8 hours of cashiering. No info about sales or cartwheel or coupons, no update on red card activity, no reminders of anything.

I don't touch on red cards enough and I obviously know that I should

It doesn't hurt but check with your etl ge what the focus is. Ours doesn't care much for red cards but a bad survey will cause them to take it out on the gsa.

Doesn't hurt to role play with your cashier's. Rather than yell to get more red cards. Be their guest, have them make a pitch to you and then give them feedback.

A lot of guest at my store are relieved we have eased off the Red Card pressure.

Well tbh you can look up receipts with any credit/debit card. It's one of the things that guests love, and often comment on, about the Target return process (compared to Walmart's nightmare return process).

I haven't really pitched redcards all that much, I was, I was super motivated for a good two week period in July, but out of my 64 hours of cashiering in July, I turned out with 0 redcards, and maybe one person telling me they'll sign up later when they have checks or will online. Truly heart breaking, I put in so much effort, even my GSTLs and our electronics TL commended me. Only reason the electronics TL got in on it was because she told me to get more redcards because I applied for an electronics position.

Now I focus on guest surveys. I try to tell each customer "Hey, if you loved or hated me, there's a survey on the bottom, we'd love to hear about your visit!(or what we can work on)" and there's better ways to go about it, must easier to just say "Here's your receipt... and there's a survey at the bottom if you'd like to take it and tell us about your trip today!" and try to spare the rapport building and keep a fine line between you, the cashier, and they, the guest.

I've found it easy to be a sales worker, but in a market where simply no one wants a redcard, it's tough. Super easy to pitch extra savings though, so it's always worth a shot if you A.) Know the item is also on Cartwheel(time to ask about cartwheel!) B.) Notice they have coupons(Pitch that redcard) and 3.) If the item is expensive.

#3 doesn't always work, either. I had a guy buying his kids two mountain bikes that ran up for $300 total, asked about the redcard, asked if he knew what it was, how it could save him money here, he simply did not want it. What a total waste of time lmao. I try to remind the guest that they're not obligated to use it ever, and could only use it for this one transaction and throw it somewhere and forget about it(at least with the debit version) but that doesn't even sway them. People are greedy nowadays, they only worry about the absolute BEST deal, and 5% off isn't good enough of a deal for them in most cases. Which is why I really REALLY think Target should begin to do a "sign on bonus" when you sign up. Amazon gives you a fucking $80 gift card to sign on to their card, what does Target give you? Oh a free bag of popcorn... a free reusable bag. Popcorn promotion ran for 2 days last year, resuable bag promotion ran for only one day this year at my store.

It also doesn't help people who work to sell something to people have a notorious rep for being annoying assholes. I bet you 40% of Target customers would say they hate being asked if they have a redcard when they've said no over and over again. I think any stores having a Red Card shortage can be blamed on the cashiers themselves, but there is behind the scenes work that needs to be done. Like I mentioned, a sign on bonus, maybe an extra 10% off to make it 15% off when you sign up. A $25 gift card, anything. Hell, I bet you a free bag of starbucks coffee would be enough to get people to sign up.

The other thing many customers worry(probably fake worry about as an excuse) is the whole Debit card thing affecting their Credit Score. Many stores(including my own) say we should be pitching the Credit version first before mentioning we have a Debit version. I, obviously ignore that, and pitch the Debit Card right away and mention it also comes as a Credit Card. So many non-millienials have gone through financial crisis, debt, bad credit situations, most simply do not care to add another line of credit that can ruin them... again. That's the way I look at it.

EDIT: I should make it a point, though, that if your store really pressures you do ask and educate about redcards, you probably should to appease your leaders. It's definitely mentally draining, and Cashiers aren't suppose to be sales people, but it's part of the job and hopefully it was made clear in every single cashier's interview. I bet if you were to mention you worked as a Target Customer Service/Cashier TM in a resume and noted (-Sell Redcards) companies would be a little curious at least and like to talk to you.

The only reason I barely ask anymore is because I've been broken too many times lmao and my leaders acknowledge it. I think redcard focus has gone down, but goals remain the same. I haven't heard a Redcard talk/huddle in about a year, and none of my GSTLs really talk about it. One GSTL is simply fine with getting no redcards, the other GSTL is the opposite, but he knows I try so he doesn't bother me too much about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back