1 minute compliance

Hi I started working at a Target Starbucks less than a month ago. I did my first all by myself close tonight and went one minute into compliance. Will I get in big trouble? I am really worried about it.

I hope you aren't a minor. It's worse for the store in that case. Most stores will just tell you not to do it again. When you go to work next, tell them you promise to use better time management so that you get your work done more efficiently.

Like everything else that's fine until you get caught. If the labor board checks your store time sheets it doesn't matter if it's one minute or 2 hours past a violation is violation. Your store will be fined. If it hasn't happened recently your store may be lackadaisical on enforcement

Last edited:
It's non-compliance not compliance. Stupid shit stuff but there's no way around it. Glad I'm out.
It's both actually. Say you work in a state that requires a paid break after five hours. One minute before, you're fine. One minute after and you've "hit" the compliance threshold and are now non-compliant. Thus, "hitting compliance" and being "non-compliant" mean basically the same thing.

FYI this isn't exclusive to Target or retail in general. Other industries and jobs require paid breaks as per their state's regulations.

At my store, you'd likely get a short talking to by HR or your ETL and have to sign a paper acknowledging that you've been counseled to not do that again. And really do try to keep a better watch on the time when you're getting close - it's a big-deal kind of fine that Target can get smacked with. Which is why Target makes a big deal out of it.

At my store, you'd likely get a short talking to by HR or your ETL and have to sign a paper acknowledging that you've been counseled to not do that again. And really do try to keep a better watch on the time when you're getting close - it's a big-deal kind of fine that Target can get smacked with. Which is why Target makes a big deal out of it.
Or you could be like me. Got fussed at big time on the floor because it was an hour and a half after my scheduled meal and i lost track of time, then never heard another word.

I don’t think I’ve hit compliance once in my almost 10 years working, but I come close almost every shift lol. Especially working in toys. It gets so beat up you need to spend at least half an hour after the store closes doing touch ups.

As I explained above, hitting (the) compliance (threshold) is the same as being non-compliant. Makes perfect sense.
I get it. The term used is "hitting compliance". Nope. I am hitting non-compliance. I've already been in compliance.

When Mrs. Captain tells me to pick up the dog shit in the back yard, I do it thus I am compliant-in compliance-agreement-in agreement. Within the parameters of socially accepted norms.

I get it. The term used is "hitting compliance". Nope. I am hitting non-compliance. I've already been in compliance.
You are hitting the compliance threshold and have gone in to non-compliance. Shortened to "hitting compliance".

If some people want to say "I'm non-compliant" or "I'm in non-compliance" or even "I have crossed over into being non-compliant, oopsie!" that's perfectly fine, but saying "I've hit compliance" is not wrong.

Speaking of compliance, I've always wondered something: if you punch for your meal or the end of your shift right at the compliance mark, are you still ok or are you screwed? For instance, say you are scheduled 4-10 in a 6 hour state, and punch in at exactly 4 and punch out at exactly 10 - are you ok or have you hit compliance? Obviously at 9:59 you're ok and at 10:01 you're screwed, but what about at exactly 6 hours?

Back